Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PTR 91

PTR 91

Hi,does anyone have any experience with PTR 91's?Very long ago I had an HK 91and regret selling it.I know PTR makes a 16" and 18",also a polymer lower and a metal lower.thank you.

Buddy of mine that works part time at a gun shop ~45 minutes away has a couple PTR rifles and he likes them, I haven't had a chance to shoot his (he is a workaholic & schedules haven't matched up) but I'd asked him some years ago because I was real interested in the PTR 32 line (7.62x39) and he said should be fine he hadn't any issues with his. Think he had 308 and maybe 223?

Had a PTR91, shot the hell out of it, probably 3K rounds, it ran flawlessly including every sort of euro suprlus I fed it. It grouped ok, 2-3 moa, but I did not have a magnified optic on it on it so who knows. I sold it because I simply do not like the HK design. It felt awkward to me compared to an AR10, seemed to be imbalanced and lots of sharp edges. I hated cleaning the thing and it would not run much more than 300 rounds before it was so dirty it was hard to retract the bolt.

Mine came with a metal trigger pack but I moved the components to a polymer version. A guy named Bill Springfield in Colorado Springs did a trigger job on my trigger pack and it greatly improved the trigger.

A close friend has a registered fleming sear and has a trigger pack he inserts along with an HK full auto bolt carrier and he has had great success with his PTR91 in full auto. Thing is they are a bitch to rebarrel, need a 30 ton press to press the new barrel into the trunion and receiver, so I am told, so he does not do 50 round drum mag dumps lest he burn that one up.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I did some reading about them before ording one myself. They have a pretty good reputation and are liked. Mine has been perfect but I only have maybe 400 rounds through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Back in the1980s I shot HK91s a lot. Very reliable and accurate clean or dirty. Had the HK scope mount.
    Clumsy and nose heavy. Crappy trigger. Williams could fix that.
    As reliable a 7.62 x 51 as I have ever had. I have had 7.62 Galils, AR 10, M1A, FALs.

Went to FN FAL / FAL PARA for better ergonomics and never looked back. Easier to work on as well.
    When ammo was $160/1000 , some years I shot 10,000 rounds through FALs.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Hi,does anyone have any experience with PTR 91's?Very long ago I had an HK 91and regret selling it.I know PTR makes a 16" and 18",also a polymer lower and a metal lower.thank you.
    I have a 91GI with a picatinny rail. It is as accurate as you can expect from a G3. Reliability and fit/finish was good. It has a fluted chamber so brass recovery is a no-go. I think it is a very good value if your want a HK91 clone.

If you put a case buffer by HK on it brass is not dented. I never had any troubles reloading for my HK 91.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    If you put a case buffer by HK on it brass is not dented. I never had any troubles reloading for my HK 91.
    Do you have a recommendation for available buffers? What about those deep flutes on the cases? Those things seem hard to correct with resizing.

Site Supporter
    No issues from mine that hasn't been ammo related (shooting steel case through it, cost effective and no worries on being hard on brass). One failure to feed. Still sends the empty cases over 20 yards with Wolf/Tula ammo.

It's an older one with a pic rail that I sent out to have milled for a paddle release. Diopter rear sight is functional and durable, get the armorer's tool for it if you plan on staying with irons, as zeroing is extremely difficult without it. 100 yard/battle sight sight picture takes a moment to understand, but is essentially a mechanical Eotech once you understand it. The diopter rear sight maxes out at 400m. Eventually I'd like to get a FFP optic on it and be able to get the distance out of it.

I do have the Magpul grip and safety on mine, along with an extended charging handle. I'd recommend all 3 of them. Mine has their old rail system that you bolt chunks of pic rail, and I'm leaning towards swapping out for a wide polymer forearm at some point in the future.

From what I understand, it's not a gun you want to switch between surpressed and unsupressed, as the locking wedge in the block needs a totally different angle to keep from beating the gun up.

Timmy makes a trigger unit for the MP5 that will work with these with swapping over a few parts, and I'm considering one if I stumble across one on mega-sale. My factory trigger is mushy and 8lbs or so in weight, but it's still a 4 MOA shooter with cheap steel case and irons (my eyes aren't that good anymore).

Site Supporter
    Re: Ergonomics

There are a few things which can help the ergonomics and overall experience of shooting the G3.

The two biggest are:

- the Spuhr stock

- the magpul extended safety

User Tag List