Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PTR 91

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Honestly, I'd try and shoot one before you buy, to have an idea if you are okay with the factory stock/grip/safety/etc.. If you find it's awkward to reach the trigger, manipulate the safety, etc., and are planning on swapping them out, then whichever one you find at the cheaper price.

I got mine for a song from a range who was selling off their rentals - the Scar 17S was shot a ton, the M1A a bit, and the PTR91 hardly at all - and let's face it, it's not in video games, so if folks are spending the coin anyway, they're shooting the Scar. I got mine for $600 in 2022.

A surplus stock cost me $8 and let me see the sights, and sending it off for a paddle mag release cost about $200 going off memory, and I think the grip/safety cost about $80.

Even modifying the gun and buying parts I'm way ahead buying new.

jeep45238 thank you,i had an HK 91 in the late 80's and liked it a lot,hindsight being 20/20 I'm sorry that I sold it.As I remember,it was $479(AUG's were $679 and M1A's and FN LAR's were $1,000).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    jeep45238 thank you,i had an HK 91 in the late 80's and liked it a lot,hindsight being 20/20 I'm sorry that I sold it.As I remember,it was $479(AUG's were $679 and M1A's and FN LAR's were $1,000).
    Works out to about 1360 in today's dollars for a 91.

Mine flings cases into the next Zip code

I find the PTR to be just fine as-is, and good magazines are very cheap. Without a change of stock, it is hard to put optics on. The fluted chamber makes fired cases look awful, but does snot impair releasability. Bill Springfield does good work on triggers. I put an early wood stock on mine.

User Tag List