Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the 2 1/2 people here who have never done FoF or ECQC related training…

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Firearms trainer Tom Givens has had 67 of his students accosted by armed criminals.

Three of his students were murdered when they decided they didn't need to carry a gun that day.

The remaining 64 students successfully defended themselves by shooting the aggressors.

61 out of the 64 defensive shootings occurred between 3-7 yards, with the overwhelming majority being between 3-5 yards (within 1 car length).

The other three shootings were beyond 7 yards, with the farthest being 21 yards.

95% of Givens' students DGU encounters occurred between 3-7 yards.

Based on Givens data, grappling is an outlier situation which makes it a very low training priority. Does it ever happen? Yes, but the odds appear low.
    Dude.

This is a variation of the “I never let anyone get that close to me” argument that people use as a handwave when they just like to shoot guns but don’t want to train anything else.

Many of those guys have impressive split times but don’t know whether to shit or go blind if somebody punches them in the face.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

As much as I think Shivworks & Co. training makes sense, all the videos that are out there make my 50+ broken and weak self NOT sign up.
    There once was an infamous trainer who told me "there is no safety in realistic firearms training". Well, giving my personal situation, it's more probable
    that my back goes to pain for years again after such a class, than it is to get into a gun grapple. Maybe I should look at Tony Blauer's classes, where,
    once you progress to grappling /fof, participants are in heavily padded suits (which don't protect from back injuries either). I know, no manly man here.
    Last edited by overton; 09-06-2023 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Dude.

This is a variation of the “I never let anyone get that close to me” argument that people use as a handwave when they just like to shoot guns but don’t want to train anything else.

Many of those guys have impressive split times but don’t know whether to shit or go blind if somebody punches them in the face.
    Name:  Lavarn Harvell Punches Tony Pietrantonio.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  43.2 KB

I agree. I’ve been in fist fights and grappling fights but zero gunfights.

The closest I've come to having to shoot my pistol in self-defense was when a sow black bear charged at me when I found myself between her and her cub while mountain biking.

Givens’ DGU data the only reality-based data we, as private citizens, presently have available to us with which we can use as a guide to prioritize our training.

Givens is clear that his data isn’t scientific (I agree) nor the final word, and that there are exceptions.

However these exceptions are outliers and they take less priority.

Train and practice to be competent in the most likely DGU situations and then train for the situations that are less likely to happen.

I still mountain bike and I still don't train to shoot a charging black bear.

Name:  Lavarn Harvell Punches Tony Pietrantonio.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  43.2 KB

I still mountain bike and I still don't train to shoot a charging black bear.

Well I hope real life continues to track with your misinterpreted understanding of Tom’s data.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    As much as I think Shivworks & Co. training makes sense, all the videos that are out there make my 50+ broken and weak self NOT sign up.
    There once was an infamous trainer who told me "there is no safety in realistic firearms training". Well, giving my personal situation, it's more probable
    that my back goes to pain for years again after such a class, than it is to get into a gun grapple. Maybe I should look at Tony Blauer's classes, where,
    once you progress to grappling /fof, participants are in heavily padded suits (which don't protect from back injuries either). I know, no manly man here.
    After suffering from debilitating neck issues for several years, my desire to take ECQC (and BJJ) is still less than my desire to remain at (or below) my current level of chronic pain. Unfortunately.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    After suffering from debilitating neck issues for several years, my desire to take ECQC (and BJJ) is still less than my desire to remain at (or below) my current level of chronic pain. Unfortunately.
    SouthNarc was in my area in August to teach an ECQC class, which I really wanted to attend, despite being 62 and having a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Then I took a fall at work in July which sprained and strained my left (good) shoulder and tore something. There was no way I could attend and meaningfully participate in ECQC after that. I have an MRI next week to find out the extent of my injury(ies). I'm hoping Craig returns to the area in the next year or two so I take his class.

I'm hoping Craig returns to the area in the next year or two so I take his class.
    Craig has already committed to coming back next year. He will be there the the first part of August. I am going to take the class again. Cecil is going to be in Lacy(ish) area in October and I would strongly recommend you take his class first. I am going to be there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Yeah unfortunately I’m in the same place now. I was super close to signing up for ecqc about 4 years ago but significant physical injuries and other issues have kept derailing those plans.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    He’s the best I’ve seen at running a safe training environment. I was in my early 50s when I took ECQC. You might contact him with specifics about prior injuries and see what he says.

The oldest so far to have completed ECQC is 75. Probably the most debilitated is a guy who had both a heart and lung transplant within 18 months of doing the coursework. This past weekend in MA. I had a guy that just finished a fairly horrendous round of chemo and he was able to train within his limitations.

We can accommodate pretty much any infirmity, and I would further say that if you can walk and stand, we can probably facilitate a safe and valuable training experience.

User Tag List