Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Jimmy Buffett

RIP, Jimmy. Thanks for all the hangovers--and there were many--while listening to your music.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Damn this sucks. I can’t remember a coastal family vacation that didn’t involve my dad having Jimmy Buffett playing during a portion and us making a point to stop by the nearest Margaritaville. Sadly never got the chance to see Mr. Buffett live. Cheeseburgers and margaritas sounds like a good dinner toast to him.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Probably my favorite musical entertainer of all time. Fortunate to see him in concert. He helped me get through some difficult times of my life with music you could not help but feel better after listening too. The fact that we both shared a love of aviation gave me some semblance of connection. Last time I “saw” him, his airplane was making a crosswind departure out of Monterrey Airport during Auto Week. His cameo appearances in songs with Alan Jackson at ZBB are some of my favorites, but Pirate Looks at Forty could be my theme song….

He truly will be missed by me.

Thanks Jimmy!

Memory Eternal.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-02-2023 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    I just finished the margarita I got from the drive-thru daiquiri shop (in Louisiana, that is definitely a thing). I'm lightly buzzed. I like to think that Jimmy would grin about that.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Always liked this song and video:

Possibly my favorite musical entertainer ever. I grew up listening to older Buffett albums that Dad had, and became a fan early in my life. I saw him in Pittsburgh back in '00 with my best friend, and a football teammate, who forgot about the two of us and left us up there without a ride home. Fortunately we ran into some other folks from our hometown and got a lift back. I still remember people drinking margaritas out of fishbowls, and someone in the parking lot who'd grafted a blender onto a gas-powered weed-whacker to whip up some pina coladas (ahhh, the intersection of redneck and parrothead, a glorious place to be). To this day it's the most fun I've ever had at a concert.

Fast forward a few years, and I listened to a lot of his stuff driving my boy to daycare/preschool/middle school. My son also became a fan, and I eagerly looked forward to the day I could take him to a concert to share in the experience. This past October we were supposed to finally go see him in San Diego, but Buffett took ill and had to postpone the show. It got rescheduled.... for a weekend I was booked to teach a class in Oklahoma. My wife still took the boy, and they had a hell of a good time. I hate it that I didn't get to see another live show, but I'm grateful my son got to experience it.

And yeah, everyone knows him for "Margaritaville", or "Come Monday", or "Cheeseburger in Paradise", and those are good songs, but I found him at his best when he had a tinge of melancholy or bittersweet to his tunes. "He Went to Paris" is a long-time favorite, as are "One Particular Harbor" and "They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More". His covers of CSN&Y's "Southern Cross" and Lord Buckley's "God's Own Drunk" are amazing, and "Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants" (which he wrote as a children's song for some kids on St. Barts) is beautiful. Do yourselves a favor and look up his 2007 "Live in Anguila" double album. It's chock full of classics and deep cuts alike.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

An absolute classic:

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I saw Buffett every summer, which is probably why his death hits harder than others. Here are a couple more favorites:

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List