Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For you S&W slimline 3rd Gen fans….3953 at local gun shop

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Cool.

I always wanted one of the 3953TSWs without the extended "lobe" on the rear of the slide/frame. They also made a 3914DAO with no lobe. I've actually thought about converting my 3914 to DAO--I love the DA pulls on 3rd gens and making a slim gun even more slim would be... nice. Though, I guess converting a DA/SA 3rd gen to DAO is a bit more involved than I thought it might be.

Regardless, the 3900s--in any flavor--are such handy little guns...

Attachment 109059

I'll have to stop by that shop next time I head up to Dayton. I haven't been to Lebanon in a while--'tis lovely. Seems like the right kinda place for a cool gun shop.
    Have you ever stopped by the big Vance’s gun shop and a cool gun shop called Country Attic Treasures in Lebanon? All w/in 15 minutes of each other. Country Attic usually has nice shotguns and higher end pistols in stock.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Country Attic is my favorite place to browse for used guns

I was issued a 4586 DAO .45. While the gun was very well built, nobody shot them well. Our mediocre shooters struggled, and our poor shooters constantly failed to qualify the first time. The guy who ran the firearms program eventually (who was a hardcore PPC guy and would never ever consider anything but DAOs and S&Ws, plus I was informed that he received deals on S&W PPC guns.) retired, the entire state held a conference of regional FIs and we decided to go with Glock 21 .45s and Colt select fire M4s. That was the other thing. He HATED the AR platform and insisted on the mini 14. The man single handedly held an entire state agency's firearm's program back 25 years behind the times.

Anyways, once we received the Glock 21s, our qual scores when up dramatically. Our mediocre shooters were passing with ease, and the guys/gals who were normally failing, were more often than not passing the very first time after they did the transition course. We had more guys shooting perfect scores than ever before. Same with the M4. The shotgun patterns were a thing of the past. Guys were turning in very good scores with the accurate Colt carbines.

I had such a bad taste in my mouth about Gen 3 S&Ws it took years before I recognized that there were some superb models. It is just that the DAO .45s like the 4586 was not one of them.

A 4563 (the CQB model) is literally the (for me), the extreme opposite. I think it is the single best 3rd gen gun ever produced. A hand fitted, absolute tack driving laser of a gun and super easy to shoot well.

I would be very happy to own an S&W PPC 5906, but I have not seen one around, and if I did odds are these days it would be out of my price range. That said, the standard versions can be cleaned up pretty well. I can say that guns such as the 4506 can be some real shooters. It just depends on the specific sample.

I know if it was 1995 and I was forced by policy to carry a traditional DA/SA as a uniformed LE, I would not complain about carrying a 4506, decocker version. In detectives, I would roll with the 4563 and not look back.

My first-issued gun was a S&W 4006 .40S&W, which was fairly popular in California.
    I don't know if it was popular anywhere else back in ~1995.

My recollection was:
    -it was heavy.

-with the straight backstrap grip, it felt "blocky". I never got to try the curved backstrap version.

-I had no policy or direction/training to carry it with its safety on or off, so I typically carried it safety off.

-The one breakage was some type of clip fracturing under the front-left of the grip. I have no idea what the clip did or how the armorer replaced it as I'd no idea how to work on guns back then.

Soon after, I switched to a personally-owned Glock 22 gen2 and mainly stayed with Glocks since then on duty, with various brands & models off-duty.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Have you ever stopped by the big Vance’s gun shop and a cool gun shop called Country Attic Treasures in Lebanon? All w/in 15 minutes of each other. Country Attic usually has nice shotguns and higher end pistols in stock.
    No, I haven't. Thanks for putting those on my radar. I definitely need to add those to the list. I occasionally swing by Target World in Sharonville. I grew up in Dayton... parents are still there. So, I'll have to incorporate those stops into the "scenic route" next time I head up from Cincy.

Milford, east of Cincy, has a pretty cool gun shop, too. I remember stopping in there and seeing a WWII P38 for a halfway decent price. Probably should have grabbed it. Thanks again for the tip!
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I was issued a 4586 DAO .45. While the gun was very well built, nobody shot them well. Our mediocre shooters struggled, and our poor shooters constantly failed to qualify the first time. The guy who ran the firearms program eventually (who was a hardcore PPC guy and would never ever consider anything but DAOs and S&Ws, plus I was informed that he received deals on S&W PPC guns.) retired, the entire state held a conference of regional FIs and we decided to go with Glock 21 .45s and Colt select fire M4s. That was the other thing. He HATED the AR platform and insisted on the mini 14. The man single handedly held an entire state agency's firearm's program back 25 years behind the times.

Anyways, once we received the Glock 21s, our qual scores when up dramatically. Our mediocre shooters were passing with ease, and the guys/gals who were normally failing, were more often than not passing the very first time after they did the transition course. We had more guys shooting perfect scores than ever before. Same with the M4. The shotgun patterns were a thing of the past. Guys were turning in very good scores with the accurate Colt carbines.

I had such a bad taste in my mouth about Gen 3 S&Ws it took years before I recognized that there were some superb models. It is just that the DAO .45s like the 4586 was not one of them.

A 4563 (the CQB model) is literally the (for me), the extreme opposite. I think it is the single best 3rd gen gun ever produced. A hand fitted, absolute tack driving laser of a gun and super easy to shoot well.

I would be very happy to own an S&W PPC 5906, but I have not seen one around, and if I did odds are these days it would be out of my price range. That said, the standard versions can be cleaned up pretty well. I can say that guns such as the 4506 can be some real shooters. It just depends on the specific sample.

I know if it was 1995 and I was forced by policy to carry a traditional DA/SA as a uniformed LE, I would not complain about carrying a 4506, decocker version. In detectives, I would roll with the 4563 and not look back.

Beautiful. You've shown your CQB 4563 before... still jealous I can only imagine what one of those would go for nowadays--out of my price range, for sure.

I'll say my 4506-1 never disappoints. I honestly shot it better than my P220... which I ended up selling after spending waaaay too much on guns, last summer. I actually just ordered a brand new drawbar from Numrich, for my 4506. The trigger play spring in mine is broken, so I have the annoying click. Gonna try to get that bad boy installed myself. I've taken a 4516 frame apart, most of the way.... hopefully I can handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    No, I haven't. Thanks for putting those on my radar. I definitely need to add those to the list. I occasionally swing by Target World in Sharonville. I grew up in Dayton... parents are still there. So, I'll have to incorporate those stops into the "scenic route" next time I head up from Cincy.

Milford, east of Cincy, has a pretty cool gun shop, too. I remember stopping in there and seeing a WWII P38 for a halfway decent price. Probably should have grabbed it. Thanks again for the tip!
    Is the one in Milford downtown? Lots of old military stuff? Think I went there years ago.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Yeah, that’s the one. I’ve only been in it once, but they definitely had some cool stuff.

These are great guns ahead of their time in retrospect. The DAO version come in two configurations, a “half cock” and “quarter cock” DAO. One has shorter pull as you would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    My first-issued gun was a S&W 4006 .40S&W, which was fairly popular in California.
    I don't know if it was popular anywhere else back in ~1995.

My recollection was:
    -it was heavy.

-with the straight backstrap grip, it felt "blocky". I never got to try the curved backstrap version.

-I had no policy or direction/training to carry it with its safety on or off, so I typically carried it safety off.

-The one breakage was some type of clip fracturing under the front-left of the grip. I have no idea what the clip did or how the armorer replaced it as I'd no idea how to work on guns back then.

Soon after, I switched to a personally-owned Glock 22 gen2 and mainly stayed with Glocks since then on duty, with various brands & models off-duty.
    My carry order was the exact opposite of yours. I started part-time with my personally owned Gen 2 Glock 22, and was forced to carry a 4046 when I went full-time. I hated that gun and still don't like 40 caliber third gens. Any other DA/SA semi auto Smith is great though.

User Tag List