Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prvi partizan 75gr match for defense?

prvi partizan 75gr match for defense?

So,for my new carbine ive been planning to run 75 gr tap for my defense round but having recently found the ppu load it has my attention. Its half the price of the hornady and the good doctor has tested and it looks to be the hornady equal in the gel. But i have no idea as to the reliability of ppu ammo, would you trust it as your first line of defense? Anyone have experience with the load? Thanos
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

There is a reason it is half price.

If you are serious about defense, then the few hundred rounds you need to function, zero, and have on hand is not the place to skimp.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    There is a reason it is half price.

If you are serious about defense, then the few hundred rounds you need to function, zero, and have on hand is not the place to skimp.
    this is my general opinion on anything gun related, just figured there might be something to it since the doc tested it.
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

I use it in Service Rifle matches. It is quite accurate, and designed to punch holes in paper at 600 yards. I can shoot expert level scores if it isn't too windy. (a reflection on my wind reading skills, not the ammo. Steady winds are fine, I suck when the winds are gusty).

I have no idea how it would for for defense.

Sean, since you seem to have the most experience in this area. Have you had any experience with Mk318 mod 0? i love everything about it except tests show somewhere around 24" of penetration, which is more than i would prefer. i wonder if it tends to overpentrate on actual targets?

I figured I'd bump this thread so we could keep track of how the consistency of the ammo seems to be over time. Most of the stuff I hear about this stuff is from a couple years ago....of course, specific samples of guns may shoot differently, but if the QC of this stuff became atrocious we'll still be able to tell.

I shot a 40 round group of this today at 100 yards from my 14.5" BCM using a Burris MTAC 1-4x24, which has a 2.2 MOA center dot, from prone rested on my range bag. The result was 1.8". FWIW, in 10 round groups, this gun/optic combo shoots 2-2.25 MOA with PMC X-Tac 55gr XP193, Winchester M193 and Winchester M855...with PMC "Precision" 75gr OTM coming in at 1.8 and Hornady TAP 223 75gr OTM at sub-1.5.

So, for the price, I consider that excellent, along with a good crimp and acceptable terminal wounding effects according to the good doctor. I'm glad I bought a few cases of this stuff at $467/1000.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Any new thoughts regarding this ammunition?

I recently found some of this 75gr PPU in a local gun store. I could only afford to buy a couple of boxes (damn stuff is about the same price as .308 FMJ ammo here...), but my initial impressions on the 100 meter range were quite positive. Definitely seemed way more accurate than the bulk 55gr FMJ I've been shooting. Of course, on the other hand, it is about twice as expensive and only available from one source (that I know of)...

I've used it as well as in it's Wolf Gold form. I was getting respectable groups at 100, 200 and 500, but seemed to get 2-4 fliers in each box, which wer not "called fliers" (where I knew at trigger break that I had done something wrong).

There are several positive gelatin tests of this cartridge out there, like for example:

But, then there's this test that had a... less than positive outcome:

Those that have used the PPU 75gr round as general use / stored in case of the apocalypse / err... what ever you wish to call it (not necessarily strictly as "self/home defense" ammo, since typical home defense ranges are short and thus the latter test doesn't necessarily apply), does the latter test make you re-think your choice?

Seemed quite surprising to me how little the bullet, well, did anything at that slower velocity.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    There are several positive gelatin tests of this cartridge out there, like for example:

But, then there's this test that had a... less than positive outcome:

Those that have used the PPU 75gr round as general use / stored in case of the apocalypse / err... what ever you wish to call it (not necessarily strictly as "self/home defense" ammo, since typical home defense ranges are short and thus the latter test doesn't necessarily apply), does the latter test make you re-think your choice?

Seemed quite surprising to me how little the bullet, well, did anything at that slower velocity.
    Wow-2,200 ft/s out of a 10.3” barrel. Isn’t that a velocity comparable to 300 BLK with Barnes 110 gr TAC-TX? Of course, the Barnes costs 3-4 times as much... that just seems pathetically slow for a .223 round. And it shows in the lack of expansion.

User Tag List