Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: I think I am going to consolidate to one pistol caliber...

Shoot what you like.

I’m in my mid-40s. I don’t work on the Southern border, in the most dangerous places down there anymore. I don’t, and won’t be able to shoot competition anymore. I’m tired of drilling and training all the time. I closed my range to LE, won’t host any more classes. I rarely even go out after dark. When I do, I’m usually in Mexico, so yeah… I have a job with an absurdly high fatality rate (ag pilot), I basically live on red meat, salt, beans, black coffee, and tequila, no man in my family has made it past 69 in the past 100 years.

I have one SP101 and a JM holster for when I carry.

I have a few of my favorite Single Action Army / Clones and a little ammo so I can shoot when I want.

I’m standardized on 45 Colt and 38+p. Every gun thing I own will fit in a 5-gallon bucket.

Be realistic. It’s liberating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I've been through this a few times, and each time the caliber I ended up sticking with was 45ACP. Probably because of all the years I've been using a Government Model.

But I keep adding 9mm back into the mix. This may sound silly to some, but one of the main reasons is that a single stack 45 makes it harder to keep up with the reloads at an extended shooting class.

I still shoot a lot of 45 and plan to keep using it pretty much forever, but I've been practicing a lot with my Berettas again -- partly because of the capacity and partly because I like the advantages of a DA auto for carry.

Those are my only two platforms now -- 1911s in 45 and the Beretta 92 series.
    Well crap. I just found a CCO 45 that will probably become my carry gun instead of the Beretta. I guess I'm like that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    There for a while, when rimfire was peaking, the delta to what I could reload cast lead bullets into 9mm was not that great, and that was what started me on the 9mm path I am on today...
    Oh I agree! I didn’t shoot .22LR for about… 13-14 years?

End of last year finally bought a rimfire silencer and host. Still waiting on the silencer at 280-ish days to clear. Kept the Ruger. Having kids and looking forward to them shooting and wanted to start with that.

Good times!
    God Bless,

Brandon

Next thread up, "I think I'm going to consolidate to a single platform". And that platform is....

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Next thread up, "I think I'm going to consolidate to a single platform". And that platform is....

Revolvers! Mice to moose out of one holster.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Oh I agree! I didn’t shoot .22LR for about… 13-14 years?
    I know, right?!?
    So one day late last year I started wondering how much 22LR was selling for and was stunned to find out they cost than a primer did.
    Consequently I scurried around and built a cool 10/22 on a MI chassis. I need to shoot it a lot more, since I need to recover the ~$1k I spent by saving money shooting rimfire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Revolvers! Mice to moose out of one holster.
    There are times I think about some serious down-sizing, especially when I consider adopting a semi-nomadic lifestyle, for at least part of the year, to get out of this mega-metropolis. I could get by, with just GP100 revolving pistols, in 3”, 4”, and 6” barrel lengths, for all purposes. It would be easier if the GP100 and SP101 could be considered the same platform, and, of course, even better if “single platform” could mean simply “revolver.”

I could get by with only one design of .357 Mag or 45 Colt-chambered single-action revolvers, too, if we were to be strict about “one platform” meaning only one design. I prefer the handling of faithful design copies the Colt SAA, but could get by with Rugers.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Delete

Because . . . "Murica!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    That’s because people found out that *in actual use* 9mm sucks in a 1911.
    I don’t think that’s true.

Alchemy Custom, Springfield armory prodigy, staccato, Bul armory, etc. are all innovating and candidly I don’t even think for the last 3/4 there’s a market for anything but 9mm. That tells the story too - these products wouldn’t be exploding in popular if they didn’t work atleast decently well.

Wilson combat says they’re not getting as much 9mm as .45 but… Wilson has been an icon with folks in the 1911 industry for a long time and the 2011 / 1911 9mm market segments don’t go to them really presently.

YMMV.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List