Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: I think I am going to consolidate to one pistol caliber...

Site Supporter
    I would say now is probably not the time to go into .45 ACP.

The trend is going 9mm. The cheapest I can find a box of 50 .45 ACP is about $20 at PSA periodically.

9mm is usually half the cost. I mean do what you want, but I’ll vote 9mm.

I own a handful of .45’s now and have no plans to shoot them again. Maybe someday, but every time I see ammo - I just cringe and pass on it. More recoil, more expense, and as it wanes in popularity it’ll see less defensive rounds brought to it. Most 2011’s and new 1911’s are in 9mm.

I’m just stating the obvious, but if you shoot low round count and enjoy it. Or live in a capacity restricted area… maybe it makes more sense.

YMMV. I recall you once shot USPSA any chance you’d go back? Would this help or hinder that decision?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    I think it's true that the popularity of 45acp has been declining, mostly because 9mm is just so good for overall use.

But when it comes to 1911s the 45 remains a popular choice. Dan Wesson has discontinued some of their 9mm models due to lack of sales volume, and Bill Wilson claims that the 45 is back to being more popular than 9mm in the single stack 1911s they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    9mm is usually half the cost. I mean do what you want, but I’ll vote 9mm.
    Pretty sure Rob is a reloader, once you do that step a 200gn bullet is just a few pennies more than a 124gn bullet, primers and powder are equivalent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Pretty sure Rob is a reloader, once you do that step a 200gn bullet is just a few pennies more than a 124gn bullet, primers and powder are equivalent.
    Fair enough - he seemed to be asking for the counter points to his view so I offered them.

I mean .45 ACP isn’t bad but there’s some things you’re going to have to live with with it. Same holds true with 9mm just a different set of problems.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I mean .45 ACP isn’t bad but there’s some things you’re going to have to live with with it. Same holds true with 9mm just a different set of problems.
    The main thing I like about 9mm is not giving a care in the world about saving brass. I have so much of it, and the supply keeps growing, that I really do not worry about it. And I have plenty of 45 brass, but I am certain I could not train myself to leave it on the ground and walk away (like at a match)... Hahaha

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The main thing I like about 9mm is not giving a care in the world about saving brass. I have so much of it, and the supply keeps growing, that I really do not worry about it. And I have plenty of 45 brass, but I am certain I could not train myself to leave it on the ground and walk away (like at a match)... Hahaha
    Quoted for truth. I don't worry too much about finding my 9mm brass at the range, but search for my .45 brass...and mine the expended brass containers on the range for it (and .38 Special too).
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Quoted for truth. I don't worry too much about finding my 9mm brass at the range, but search for my .45 brass...and mine the expended brass containers on the range for it (and .38 Special too).
    And I think someday I want a 10mm or 38 Super... DOH!!

Site Supporter
    I inherited a Dillon 650XL from my Dad with 9mm and .45 ACP dies.

I just have two small children, marriage, job, etc. Brass collection, prep, loading, etc. and the amount of times I shoot a year presently keep it from becoming a hobby. The 9mm cost doesn’t hurt so bad (with my volume) to make it a necessity presently. I probably shoot on average less than 2,500-3,000 centerfire rounds a year.

Now .22? Man. Since getting my Ruger squared away. I’ve put probably 3k rounds through it. It’s nice to put a 300-400 round box through a .22 LR for what 100 rounds of 9mm goes for basically.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Now .22? Man. Since getting my Ruger squared away. I’ve put probably 3k rounds through it. It’s nice to put a 300-400 round box through a .22 LR for what 100 rounds of 9mm goes for basically.
    There for a while, when rimfire was peaking, the delta to what I could reload cast lead bullets into 9mm was not that great, and that was what started me on the 9mm path I am on today...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think it's true that the popularity of 45acp has been declining, mostly because 9mm is just so good for overall use.

But when it comes to 1911s the 45 remains a popular choice. Dan Wesson has discontinued some of their 9mm models due to lack of sales volume, and Bill Wilson claims that the 45 is back to being more popular than 9mm in the single stack 1911s they sell.

That’s because people found out that *in actual use* 9mm sucks in a 1911.

User Tag List