Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I am going to consolidate to one pistol caliber...

I think I am going to consolidate to one pistol caliber...

<Pulls Pin on a 4-Banger>

And that caliber is...45 ACP.

You may all now opine about the various levels of sanity and sense involved in this decision and proceed to attempt to talk me out of it.

Probably less expensive than getting into nice watches. Go for it.

As a 45 guy I'm not gonna criticize the caliber, but it's pretty hard to live without a 38special. Or are we only talking semi-autos?

Thought the PF consensus was that .45 is a discontinued caliber.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Definitely my favorite pistol caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    As a 45 guy I'm not gonna criticize the caliber, but it's pretty hard to live without a 38special. Or are we only talking semi-autos?
    Probably single greatest challenge to this idea is the lack of a pocketable, reliable, available, snub.

If I convince myself to keep .22s on hand, then maybe a .22 LCR could do the job.

'Bout time you joined the 45 AARP club.

Name:  IMG_3011.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  38.0 KB

I think it's not wrong. I've really been enjoying simplifying the amount of shit I own.

For someone who lives a mostly urban/suburban existence, it's hard to argue against 9mm.

For someone who has a rural life, or spends lots of life in the backcountry, there are two contenders: .45 ACP and .357 Magnum.

I chose .357 because I can use the same caliber in J-frames, 4" GP100s, and my 1894c, but I wouldn't tell somebody they were wrong for picking .45 ACP.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Good on you… *for trying*

Seriously, it’s a hard algorithm to follow. I’m in the middle of really switching/keeping .38/.357 and .22LR as the mainstays.

Did pretty well the rifles, keeping enough .308 and .243 on hand. But now I’m really itching for a .44 levergun, so better add a .44 Blackhawk, right? And should probably follow @Lester Polfus and grab a .357 lever thingy since that’s the one cartridge I’m abundantly stocked with.

Aside, it really helps that I’ve stepped away from caring about being “gun guy” and all the latest and greatest stuff that marketing teams want you to feel guilty about not purchasing.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Extra calibers are a hassle, so I like the idea. But, not so much a hassle that I’m willing to forego useful guns like a Glock 20, a .380 mousegun, or a suppressed .22.

I shoot and carry almost exclusively 9mm, and that makes things like reloading and defense ammo simpler.

.45 is long gone because I don’t need any guns that shoot it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List