Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wait till they get in?

Wait till they get in?

Saw this on another site. I imagine that everyone would agree that putting a dozen holes in neighbor's wall is not a great idea. At the same time there is a clear break-in in evolution. Does homeowner have to wait until they get in such case? Does the fact that the door so far in still up mean that a condition of opportunity is not met? As I think of this, things get conflated in my head although the logical conclusion is that the guy shouldn't have shot until they got in.
    Last edited by YVK; 08-27-2023 at 06:24 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Does the fact that the door so far in still up mean that a condition of opportunity is not met?
    That's what I think. It could be argued that you're not in danger as long as the door holds. I've got houses 360 degrees around mine, I wouldn't want to launch a round unless I had to and had a specific backstop (the bad guy) to stop it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

In texas that is a good shoot as far as putting rounds through the door. I would say to wait so that you can have eyes on a target and not put rounds into the apartment across from you.

Some of this may depend on the disparity of force.

I would not want to make a blanket statement saying that "in all cases that you cannot and should not shoot when someone is actively smashing in your door, but has not quite made it completely through.

There were two very healthy looking individuals doing the B&E.

On the other side, what if the homeowner had multiple medical issues to the point that he would not be able to put up hardly any resistance. There was a baby crib in the video. How about if the mother is holding a frightened baby to protect it? Does she really want to be trying to retreat through the house with a baby in her arms while trying to fend off two attackers, and doing so one handed, versus shooting them as they were breaking down the door, but not yet completing the process?

Situationally dependent.

Me, waiting on the other side with an 8 shot Browning A5 full of 1 ounce slugs probably looks different than grandma with her late husband's .38 revolver that she has never actually fired. I can say though with multiple attackers, the threshold (bad pun) in which I decide to go weapons free is a lot shorter.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Me, waiting on the other side with an 8 shot Browning A5 full of 1 ounce slugs...
    This geezer would be there with his 870 full of Federal Flite Control, or at least a handgun which I've shot a bunch. I'd still wait until they came through the door, if they went away mad that's okay, as long as they went away.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Option B for me is I release Simon the Gangster Cat.

He is a formerly feral cat who likes to beat up the other neighborhood cats (the neighborhood ladies/housewives proceed to complain loudly about it) and hunt snakes and mice. The snakes he brings home as play toys to be released in the house, alive.

I figure I could just chuck Simon and a live snake as a complete unit onto the ne'er do wells and kick back and watch the fun..

Who needs an attack dog, when you have a Gangster Cat.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You always hear that racking a shotgun will make them scamper away, but I always thought firing up a chainsaw would make them reconsider as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Option B for me is I release Simon the Gangster Cat.

He is a formerly feral cat who likes to beat up the other neighborhood cats (the neighborhood ladies/housewives proceed to complain loudly about it) and hunt snakes and mice. The snakes he brings home as play toys to be released in the house, alive.

I figure I could just chuck Simon and a live snake as a complete unit onto the ne'er do wells and kick back and watch the fun..

Who needs an attack dog, when you have a Gangster Cat.
    @JCL
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Like many things in life, the answer here is “it depends”. Just because it’s legal (which this may or may not be, I don’t know TX law) doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

On the surface this seems like shooting at two armed men kicking down your door, with your wife and child there as a factor, should be ok…shooting the neighboring unit, not so much.

The only experience I can relate is years ago, one of our employees (who hadn’t worked for us for some time before this) got shot like this. That was a domestic situation though. Dude shows up drunk, tries to break in for whatever reason, and New Boyfriend shoots him through the door. I don’t think the shooter got charged with anything.

I suppose if they could prove that they had the same visual as the ring camera did at the time, then they could argue that they were watching two guys-one with a mask, and one with a pistol in hand—trying their level best to kick in their door. I’ll of course defer to what the pros have to say on that one.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List