Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wait till they get in?

So, this was an armed robbery in progress and the resident used horrible tactics, which were effective. I'm thinking that there's more to this story. Why not wear a mask? Homeboy knew he was being recorded.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    So, this was an armed robbery in progress and the resident used horrible tactics, which were effective. I'm thinking that there's more to this story. Why not wear a mask? Homeboy knew he was being recorded.
    Accomplice did have a mask/ maybe the other guy didn’t have one because apartment maintenance guys don’t wear masks when changing A.C. Filters, which was his ruse. Eta: he also had a yellow legal pad in his hand.

I will say that after hearing dudes interview, I agree with everybody else who think it’s possible there’s more to this story than we know.

Double edit: dude has a past rap sheet of burglary and robbery:

https://www.fox4news.com/news/video-...t-shootout.amp

Two days later, on Monday, police arrested Contreras and charged him with aggravated assault, deadly conduct and attempted burglary.

Dallas County Sheriff's Office records show Contreras' criminal history dates back to 2013.

The records show he's been arrested and charged with robbery and burglary several times before.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-28-2023 at 11:50 AM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I'm betting they knew who lived there, and had already checked the parking lot to ascertain if he was there or not.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Guy. Singular. I can imagine letting one intruder get inside before shooting.
    Waiting to be outnumbered seems not sound.
    Most doorways are only so big and are aptly referred to as a “fatal funnel” because of this quality. The intentioned message behind my post being once the first one silhouettes themself there, the lead will flow. If they’re dedicated enough to continue pressing the fight, it is what it is.

Again, my preference is not to be sending rounds indiscriminately in to neighboring abodes no matter how reasonable the blindly shooting through a barrier may be.

Y’all do y’all and all that.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I appreciate all of the comments from others on statutes and cases. I have a few anecdotes, as earlier in life I lived in some sketchy neighborhoods. I've always thought Cooper's comment that if you did not have a firearm within reach while reading, you didn't understand the lesson. My personal take on the video is yikes! I sure hope the opposite apartment was unoccupied. That could have been catastrophically tragic.
    I had a cinder block through an apartment window(ground floor) on a night before Thanksgiving. The eyes of the thrower(I believe) about popped out when he saw the muzzle of a .45 Commander. He moved so fast it was a "disappearance". Another drunk tried to get in a girlfriend's apartment where I was. Yelling, threats, banging on the door,etc. Same Colt Commander, but my shouted statement of being armed and would shoot seemed to get through and he wandered down the street to be arrested in a few minutes, city being called. A fight in my apartment hallway slammed into my door. It held, but I was at "gun up", down the hall.
    Almost two decades ago, with my youngest, went to the gun when what seemed like a violent lover's quarrel was occurring predawn outside our hotel door. That just seemed to fizzle out; no breach of the room door. And finally, an office mass murder during a weekday near my house, prompted me to go home to wife and infant, break out the personal carbine and wait. The shooter had been clearly identified by clothing, and I had mentally made the decision to engage if a similarly dressed armed individual had approached.
    @HCM point about bullets going both ways is well said; I recall instances of LE personnel being killed by being shot through walls, so for damn sure that's something to consider. Given that, a defender might consider not continuing to shout commands, police being called, etc. and just go to cover and wait. Curious: any thoughts on "warning shot(s)" at base of door? Try not to flame too much...

Edit to add my appreciation of @TCinVA post-well stated, sir.
    I can not ever think of a circumstance where a warning shot is valid. If I am not in fear enough to fire rounds with intent to defend myself then I probably should not be shooting

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Saw this on another site...
    Sobering video. I was noticing the playpen in the final few seconds. Damn I know I would be protecting me and mine in a similar situation, but to also have a little one 10' from the door about to be kicked in...damn. This incident gives me another example of what to look out for from scumbags who want to gain entrance to do you harm.

Like a moron, I actually opened the door to two dudes last week. I should never have done that. Turns out they were just selling lawn services. Lesson learned. That ain't happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

As far as the shooting goes, it's good here as well. It's reasonable to believe you're in danger of death with two guys with guns trying to kick in the door.
    Thanks, I was just going to go look up the statue in Florida and you saved me the time.

I think one factor consider is “how big is the dwelling.” I lived in an apartment once where if somebody crossed the threshold they were pretty much in pocket knife range, never mind handguns.

Contrast that to my current house where by the time somebody breaches the front door, there’s a pretty good chance I’ll be on the other end of a 2700 square foot house, at the top of a stairway, holding a 12 gauge.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I've never seen an 8-shot A5. Can we get a pic? Also, you're loaded with slugs for HD? I've always defaulted to buck in the house, now you've got me curious. Thanks
    The Rhodesian gov't contract A5's were 7+1. Though, I'm not sure I'd use a historical piece like that when other shotguns would do.

Even a pristine use of deadly force does not absolve the shooter of the responsibility for the effects of every round that they fire. It's hard for me to fit firing blindly through this door into any notion of reasonableness.
    "The older I get, the more I think that just staying home and drinking the good stuff by yourself is way underrated as a healthy practice." - Totem Polar

"An entire worldview devoted to being offside." - feudist

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    The Rhodesian gov't contract A5's were 7+1. Though, I'm not sure I'd use a historical piece like that when other shotguns would do.
    I definitely would NOT use a Rhodesian A5 as a working gun/house protection gun. They are a scarce item and should be on display or something. My old Belgian A5 works fine for me. Another shotgun that also works for me is again from the most brilliant mind of firearms design ever(in my opinion), Mr. John Moses Browning. That is the Ithica Model 37.

User Tag List