Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So much for revolver reliability...

Site Supporter

So much for revolver reliability...

I sent a 642 to S&W a couple of weeks ago with a broken hammer stud, today the action on my LCRX 22 locked up like a bear trap, looks like I'll be calling Ruger this week.

That's defective manufacturing , assembly and/or QC.
    It has nothing to do with the reliability of the system.

Name:  First Time.jpeg
Views: 1487
Size:  17.2 KB

Then there's bullet pull, powder under the extractor star, walking ejector rods...
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]Then there's bullet pull, powder under the extractor star, walking ejector rods...
    Failure to vet loads as one does in an auto, failure to clean the gun, failure to periodically check a threaded connection. User-induced and avoidable all.

My brother saw the slide of a Glock come off during a match …… fuck if I’ll ever on one of those pieces of shit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That's defective manufacturing , assembly and/or QC.
    It has nothing to do with the reliability of the system.
    That was intended toung in cheak, not at all literally.
    You are certainly right though, the voids in the hammer stud were quite visible where it snapped, we'll see on the Ruger, it doesn't have 800 rds through it.

There is nobody on this forum who is a bigger revolver nut than I am. Several who equal me, sure, but nobody who’s more of a die-hard wheelie guy.

That said, over the decade that I’ve been a member here, my track record of buying new Glocks and having them work is a lot better than my track record of buying new revolvers and having them work.

#sadpandafacts

I’d trust a new G26 off the shelf a lot more than I’d trust a new S&W (or Taurus, or Colt) wheelie off the shelf.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Then there's bullet pull, powder under the extractor star, walking ejector rods...
    Walking ejector rods only one I've ever had problem with despite letting my j frame get filthy trying to find point it would malfunction without cleaning.

I gave up on not cleaning it after 300 or so rounds with no problems, with the ejector roads I've learned to be more sensitive to trigger pull feeling off IME with S&W revolvers anyway if your aware of the potential and paying attention you can catch it before gun locks up. Like notice it getting bad when it would take at least 2 or 3 more gun fulls to lock it up but maybe I was just lucky after the first two times.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    There is nobody on this forum who is a bigger revolver nut than I am. Several who equal me, sure, but nobody who’s more of a die-hard wheelie guy.

That said, over the decade that I’ve been a member here, my track record of buying new Glocks and having them work is a lot better than my track record of buying new revolvers and having them work.

#sadpandafacts

I’d trust a new G26 off the shelf a lot more than I’d trust a new S&W (or Taurus, or Colt) wheelie off the shelf.
    Im afraid I would agree with you, though from my perspective I cant think of any new revolvers id be interested in buying if an older version were available. Im still more trusting of revolvers overall and shoot them better with less effort. My very limited glock experience had 2 magazines that worked perfectly, until they didnt.

Preemptive extractor rod torquing, improved shell ejection method like muzzle straight up and sharp slap on the rod, cleaning under the star now and then, and a little oil now and then mostly alleviate the revolver problems Ive experienced. Cant really anticipate a broken hammer spring.

Extractor rods can be torqued in a bench vise using a couple flattened 38 shells to grip the rod in the vise jaws, fill the chambers with empty shells, gently loosen then re-torque. Ive not had one loosen once actually torqued. Spinning the cylinder back and forth with the rod and stopping it with the rod to reverse direction while the cylinder is open will show a loose rod before it becomes too loose and backs out. Ive found a couple that way before starting to preemptively torque them. Spinning the cylinder in that manner was seeing if it had enough oil to spin freely, but had a side benefit.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-27-2023 at 08:08 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Oh man, this thing is a lot easier:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...d-tool-for-sw/

For torquing the rod, that is. I agree on old wheelies over new, as a general rule, and I absolutely agree that an ounce of prevention like checking all the screws, the rod, etc., is worth kilos of wheelie cure.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List