Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping for an AR for son’s 18th birthday

The S&W Sport models seem to have a good reputation for the lower priced ARs. I have three of the regular M&P15s, and I bought and maintained at least a dozen at my department with no issues.

I would get a SOLGW. They are a more modern gun with several built in improvements.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Thanks, @fatdog.
    That’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I’d assumed that FN tuned the gas system for a 14.5” barrel.

And thanks you and @Beat Trash for pointing out that the 6920 has a carbine-length gas block. In shopping, I’d sorted to show only mid-length, but the 6920 somehow slipped through. I’m able to see several sources for 6960s in the same price range.

So it looks like a runoff between the Colt 6960 and the 16” FN. (16 PFH SRP G2)
    The only significant feature between the two seems to be the BUIS on the FN, and it costs +/- $100 more (roughly price of BUIS).

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Okay I am going to warn you off that specific model with first hand experience. The rifle is badly undergassed between the midlength gas and the 14.5 barrel. This was the one where my FN warranty experience was poor.

I picked one up in like late 2019 or early 2020. It ran reliably with full power M193 ammo, e.g. Federal xm193 or equivalent. The minute I fed it lesser powered .223 ammo malfunctions started happening. My USPSA 3gun load at the time was a 55gr Hornady BT loaded with H335 to about 2900 fps and it would not run 100% in that rifle. I had some .223 spec ammo, specifically Hornady's old 55gr Steelmatch which was wonderfully accurate and stuff I also used in 3gun, and it would not run 100% in that rifle. I tested some .223 PMC Bronze and it would not run reliably in that rifle.

FN finally after 2 discussions agreed to send me a return label. They tested the gun and sent it back to me and let me know it was in spec for them and that their rifles were "only designed to run with full power ammunition".

I think overall a 14.5" barrel with midlength gas is generally a bad idea, any brand, it is likely on the edge of reliability unless they opened up the gas port. The other FN I owned was the 16" midlength gas rifle and it ran very reliably with everything but I was so pissed off at FN by that time I sold it to a friend at my gun club, he loves it, nothing wrong with it. My warning is if you get the FN, go with the full 16" midlength gas but if you go with a 14.5 with the pinned and welded flash hider make sure it has a carbine length gas system.

Site Supporter
    Double tap

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    I would get a SOLGW. They are a more modern gun with several built in improvements.
    Funny you should mention that. I was just looking at this one and wondering what I get for the extra $250 - it appears B5 furniture and maybe a better trigger.

https://www.primaryarms.com/sons-of-...258.1693091968

If you’re seriously considering an FN, get an FN15 Tac3. Auctions for NIB ones on Gunbroker regularly end for $1,000-1,100.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I was just looking at this one and wondering what I get for the extra $250 - it appears B5 furniture and maybe a better trigger.

https://www.primaryarms.com/sons-of-...258.1693091968
    Some of the SOLGW enhancements are;
    Tighter fitting upper and lower receiver
    NIAC seal on the upper and lower for a more durable and nicer looking finish
    Thermal fit upper
    Tighter tolerance between the gas block and the gas block journal/barrel
    Proper sized gas port
    Nitride detents
    Sprinco Extra power extractor spring
    A5 Buffer System
    Lifetime warranty
    Lifetime barrel replacement
    Provides you with another rifle if ever in a legit self defense situation and your rifle is taken for evidence.
    Plus they're great dudes
    Plus they do a lot of 2A advocacy and some constitutional education.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

I'm still not regretting that @Clusterfrack talked me into a BCM RECCE-16 as my only AR.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Some of the SOLGW enhancements are;
    Tighter fitting upper and lower receiver
    NIAC seal on the upper and lower for a more durable and nicer looking finish
    Thermal fit upper
    Tighter tolerance between the gas block and the gas block journal/barrel
    Proper sized gas port
    Nitride detents
    Sprinco Extra power extractor spring
    A5 Buffer System
    Lifetime warranty
    Lifetime barrel replacement
    Provides you with another rifle if ever in a legit self defense situation and your rifle is taken for evidence.
    Plus they're great dudes
    Plus they do a lot of 2A advocacy and some constitutional education.
    Most of this sounds good but is irrelevant or marketing hype.

“Proper sized gas port” depends on your purpose, what ammo you intend to shoot and whether you intend to use a suppressor.

Overgassing guns to run underpowered .223 and then mitigating it with an A5 system is a whole other discussion.

I have known the SOLGW people since they were a bunch of dudes with a table at the local gun show. They make a decent, duty grade gun but there is nothing “premium” about them vs a Colt, FN, BCM etc. I certainly wouldn’t pay $250 more for one over a comparable Colt or FN.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-27-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    The street price of the FN SRP's and other variants are routinely much higher than you're quoting here. At least, I can't find any SRP variant in stock anywhere for less than $1350 or so.
    Also, the linked 14.5in gun is an NFA weapon, and that SKU seems to be for department purchases.

Here's a canned search of some good brands & configurations to consider at Primary Arms:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/ar-15/ri...weapon-systems

BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, FN, Sionics.

SOLGW is good too, and I love their 2A advocacy, but if I had to pick one and only one it'd be from the above five options.

Now, being that I was 18 once upon a time and I really liked choosing my own options as much as I could back then, consider this:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/098289020253

This is the Colt 6920 'OEM2' that comes as a QC/QA'd bare bones rifle without sights or furniture or even a magazine, but it's ready for someone to make all their own choices on a free float forend (that bolts to a GI nut like a Centurion or MI rail anyway) sights, stock, trigger guard, and magazines as they see fit. It's also $699 + the ride and FFL which should get you out the door for around $800 or maybe a bit less at most places.
    This way, also, you and your son can enjoy the process together of selecting those parts, installing them, and trying them out together

User Tag List