Thread: Torque spec for 4-40 screws with threaded posts? Like Zev slides?

Torque spec for 4-40 screws with threaded posts? Like Zev slides?

I just got my RMR HD yesterday and am putting it on a Zev OZ9. Those cuts have the threaded posts that use 4-40 screws.

Can't find an optic-cut specific torque spec anywhere. I was going to blue loctite it and torque to 15 inch/lbs since it doesn't need to come off for battery changes.

Referencing thread charts, I'm seeing that for 4-40 screws, the recommendation is between 5 to 7 inch-pounds and that seems way too low.

Would like to mount it this weekend and not wait till Monday for Zev to get back to me. Any info is appreciated!

I just got a slide back from Battle Werx, who uses the Zev posts with 4-40 screws in their cuts. Their instructions said to torque to 15 in-lbs.

I use this as a guide. Some of the torque values they tell people to use are way too high and make me scratch my head.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/mer...ce%20Guide.pdf

Thanks guys. Did 15 inch-lbs with blue loctite.

Liking the RMR-HD so far based on initial impressions.

You will nearly universally see suggestions between 10 and 15 inch pounds for these size screws. I don't think I've ever seen less than 10 or more than 15 (some coarser thread screws like those used on clamp on style optics like the 509T and Acro usually spec higher.

I generally set my FAT Wrench to between 10 and 15.

User Tag List