Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Prigozhin Forcibly Retired

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Putin came to power through appointments and backdoor deals. By the time he was facing elections he had a card of economic recovery from Yeltsin's ruins and his own equivalent of the MAGA campaign. I left the country years before his ascendancy so I can't say what the sentiment was then but I think he had an unbeatable card.
    The second bit..partly true, partly hindsight. Time magazine put his face on a cover as man of the year in '07 and the world continued to work with him till '14. I guess his own population wasn't the only people who didn’t fully predict what former kgb thug will do.
    Funny story:

In 2007 I had a subscription for the Time magazine. It cost $10 a year. After they put Putin’s photo on a cover I called the magazine to cancel the subscription. After some conversation with the customer service they canceled it and sent me a check for the remaining few months. Something like $2.50. I wanted to frame it and hang it in my bathroom but then I lost it. I think the check is still the unclaimed property somewhere.

Putin came to power through appointments and backdoor deals. By the time he was facing elections he had a card of economic recovery from Yeltsin's ruins and his own equivalent of the MAGA campaign. I left the country years before his ascendancy so I can't say what the sentiment was then but I think he had an unbeatable card.
    The second bit..partly true, partly hindsight. Time magazine put his face on a cover as man of the year in '07 and the world continued to work with him till '14. I guess his own population wasn't the only people who didn’t fully predict what former kgb thug will do.
    Time Magazine also had Hitler on the cover as Man of the Year in the late 30's, if memory serves.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can understand Russians falling for him (economic recovery plus state controlled media), but I cannot understand the naïve hopefulness of westerners.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I can understand Russians falling for him (economic recovery plus state controlled media), but I cannot understand the naïve hopefulness of westerners.
    The neo-isolationist Code Pink wing of the Republican Party can't get enough of Pootie. Reagan would be turning in his grave.

I not so sure Putin is behind Prigozhin's demise. Strictly because those who are throwing our tax dollars at Ukraine want you to think it was Putin.

I think this entire Prigozhin story is actually fairly simple to explain. Prigozhin was a useful tool for Putin until he wasn't. Prigozhin wanted more power (obviously a greedy little bastard) and the only way to get it was start making the military look incompetent, which he did. He then made the mistake of making Putin look incompetent in his quest. One of those dog bites master situations.

It all seems very bizarre to us because of the difference in the military chain of command. There doesn't seem to be one in Russia. It's mostly run like a mafia organization and Putin decides who's in or out. He made a bad choice in Prigozhin's case. Now the little crime family that Prigozhin ran wants some pay back.

It's starting to look like the power structure in some middle eastern country like Afghanistan except with nukes.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I not so sure Putin is behind Prigozhin's demise. Strictly because those who are throwing our tax dollars at Ukraine want you to think it was Putin.

Prigozhin didn't kill himself.......... if somebody actually killed him.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Hunter did it!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Prigozhin didn't kill himself.......... if somebody actually killed him.
    If I was Prigozhin I would be traveling heavily armed at all times. Munitions and planes do not make a good mix my friend.

User Tag List