Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX LE mandatory retirement age

TX LE mandatory retirement age

Howdy

Could our TX members help me out with regards to mandatory retirement age (if any) for both DPS and Austin PD ? I didnt get anywhere with ~1hr of Google search, including the retirement system websites for both agencies.

Contemplating a change of career, but I'm concerned about not being able to reach 25 years of service due to mandatory retirement age.

Thanks !
    M

I can’t speak directly to it, as I’m not familiar with TX retirement. I would suggest reaching out to someone at the retirement board for each agency you’re looking at.

Site Supporter
    There is no mandatory retirement age per statute or TCOLE.

Individual agencies may have their own requirements.

Site Supporter
    We just eliminated the max age for new recruits.

Not directly an answer to the OP, I know.

https://www.police1.com/police-recru...8MA3jjFjWXQeq/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

We had several older cadets here.

Our retirement took ten years to become vested. Some would stay just 10 and then have a supplemental retirement albeit smaller than a 25 year retiree.

Thanks everyone!

From your comments and additional research I did, it turns out reaching 25 years of service is not technically a requirement, as long as one is OK with a smaller benefit amount. Reaching out to the actual agencies is the logical next step to understand if they have specific policies re: max age.

Now, on to researching how the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) could/would impact one's SSA benefits.

A few years ago my state eliminated its max age retirement for one officer.
    He was 75 when he retired with fifty(fucking)years in patrol.
    He was a better man than me. About six more months and I'd have gone through the jail with a flamethrower shrieking "Happy happy joy joy!"

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    A few years ago my state eliminated its max age retirement for one officer.
    He was 75 when he retired with fifty(fucking)years in patrol.
    He was a better man than me. About six more months and I'd have gone through the jail with a flamethrower shrieking "Happy happy joy joy!"
    You aren't alone, I retired as soon as I could and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Now, on to researching how the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) could/would impact one's SSA benefits.
    Please share what you learn. I'm retired from the PD, still a long way from social security age, but I have enough credits from other jobs to qualify. Without taking the drastic step of actually sitting on hold to (*gasp*) talk to a live human on the phone, I've been unable to suss out whether the windfall provision will eliminate any social security benefits I would otherwise get.

The WEP section on the SSA web site is rather cryptic, but does note that while WEP will reduce your benefits, it will not eliminate them entirely. However, a fellow retiree from my agency did call and talk to them; he was told, "oh, you won't be getting anything", because our pensions are too fat... We're both hoping the person he spoke with was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Please share what you learn. I'm retired from the PD, still a long way from social security age, but I have enough credits from other jobs to qualify. Without taking the drastic step of actually sitting on hold to (*gasp*) talk to a live human on the phone, I've been unable to suss out whether the windfall provision will eliminate any social security benefits I would otherwise get.

The WEP section on the SSA web site is rather cryptic, but does note that while WEP will reduce your benefits, it will not eliminate them entirely. However, a fellow retiree from my agency did call and talk to them; he was told, "oh, you won't be getting anything", because our pensions are too fat... We're both hoping the person he spoke with was mistaken.
    I will. What I could unofficially gather so far is that your SSA benefit will in no case be 'zeroed', but it will be impacted to a varying degree based on how much and how many years of SSA you contributed too:

- A higher number of years with substantial SSA contributions will result in a comparatively LOWER WEP impact.

- Vice versa for a small number of SSA contribution years, your final SSA benefit will be impacted more.

This could be of interest for you: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...anner/wep.html

Bottom line, from everything I could gather, the person you spoke to was probably mistaken.

User Tag List