Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overkill and a Best Mounting Practice?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Vibratite is the devil and he doesn’t even mention in the video that it is an aerobic sealant that requires curing time in air to work.

Sure, you can glue an optic to the gun and if the glue holds it will work, and you can weld an optic to the gun for a “sure thing” fit.

If it works for the guy great, but I wouldn’t recommend it for use by law enforcement or really anyone… We’ve had very good results with hundreds (probably thousands by now) of pistols with blue Loctite and correct procedures.

The Prodigy is the current exception we need to address. We’ve had several come loose and we’re looking into whether we need to use a bit of red Loctite on the plate-slide (it’s always the plate-slide that comes loose). That said, I still won’t glue my plate. I get why some do it, but it didn’t work for me, I’ve seen it destroy optics, and a plate should mount securely without that level of intervention.
    And yet by the actual guidelines from Loctitie, blue is not the correct grade for these types of applications. Green is the more appropriate choice here because of the nature of the metals/finish on the threads of the screws/optics/mounts. It's purely luck that many do not run into problems by simply not applying the product correctly. Long-winded technical explanation in link below...

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/commen...te_completely/

@SoCalDep has discussed his old org's procedures here a few times, I've written it up in two articles. It has worked for me with multiple optics/multiple guns.

Fwiw, I would strongly recommend following what he has shared.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    @SoCalDep has discussed his old org's procedures here a few times, I've written it up in two articles. It has worked for me with multiple optics/multiple guns.

I agree with this. Still. You’re talking sealants that are automotive lube. And require maintenance by knowledgeable folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

Any chance you can link the articles?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Second. Beat me to it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Have you tried the plates from CHPWS? I wonder if they're better in this regard.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    It took 7 tries to get one for a 509T - VP9 that could actually zero, and the fitment to the slide was horrific. Shot the plate loose 3 times after installing to spec.

Bad enough that I stopped using the optic so I could use a different plate (defaulted to factory plate) - zero issues since.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I'm assuming these are the 2 articles:

https://americancop.com/options-for-...red-dot-sight/

https://americancop.com/keeping-the-dot-on-your-pistol/

I'm having a couple issues and I'm hoping maybe this is a good place to post them - I don't know that we have a general "ask for help with dots" thread.

Problem 1 - Screws backing out. Setup is a Holosun EPS Carry direct mounted to a previously adjustable sight-equipped 1911 milled by Impact Machine. After proper prepping and thread locking, I have had the screws back out three times (first two with blue Loctite 243, second time with a small amount of red 271). I have not yet tried 248 or VC-3 and may, but the fact that red didn't work is concerning.

Problem 2 - I believe something that will at least help with Problem 1 is longer screws. The included set from Impact (which I'm trying to replace anyway because they've now been torqued multiple times) measure 9.4mm long from head to tip. I measure the tapped holes as being about 14mm long on the ejector side and 12mm long on the extractor side before hitting the extractor channel, so I can definitely use longer screws. The problem is finding them. I've done a good bit of searching and I can't find M4 thread screws with a Torx drive and a head diameter of around 6.3mm/0.25". I ordered the closest thing from McMaster, which had a head diameter of over 8mm and definitely will not work. In fact, McMaster's M4 screws only go down to 7.5mm head diameter, and those are all flathead and Phillips drives...

So, any general advice on better mounting and especially advice on where to find M4 screws with a 0.25" head would be much appreciated. Yes, I am also waiting on a response from Impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I'm having a couple issues and I'm hoping maybe this is a good place to post them - I don't know that we have a general "ask for help with dots" thread.

So, any general advice on better mounting and especially advice on where to find M4 screws with a 0.25" head would be much appreciated. Yes, I am also waiting on a response from Impact.
    Nevermind. I checked the fit of the new M4 screws to the threads. Contrary to what Impact told me, the screws they tapped for and used are NOT M4 thread. Whatever they are, the posts measure 3.4mm instead of the 3.8mm of the M4s. So my problem should hopefully be solved when they give me the correct thread pitch so I can actually find full length screws with the right head diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Both of those and this one: https://www.gunsite.com/mounting-the...mounted-optic/

And, SoCalDep posted that process here on P-F way back when.

User Tag List