Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping sister in law buy a defensive pistol

Helping sister in law buy a defensive pistol

This summer she came to our place and we went to IWLA where she got to try, Glock 19, M&P compact9, Beretta 92, Buckmark .22, Keltech PF9. She realized that she has a grip strength problem so about the only one she could rack was the .22. She ended up buying a Buckmark to at least get shooting but realizes it is not a defensive gun. now she is looking and has found the M&P Shield EZ which she can rack. She is concerned about recoil so is thinking maybe the .380 vs 9mm. I have shot a friend's 9mm but have no clue about the .380. So two questions.
    Will the Shield EZ in .380 recoil less than the 9mm?
    Are there any other pistols you might recommend?
    BTW revolvers are out of the question. She has no interest.
    Thanks in advance.

If slide racking strength needs to be addressed I'd include a Beretta 92 variant into the selection equation. It takes much less force and effort to rack a 92 slide due to the locking block design versus a tilting Browning bbl design.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Not only will the .380 have about 50% less felt recoil, but the slide will be significantly easier to rack on the .380 version of the Shield EZ

This video compares the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield EZ in .380, 9mm, and .30 Super Carry
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LSmmdO5FbU

Dealt with this with a relative

Not qualified to run a semi, but won’t consider a revolver.

The whole racking The slide thing is bullshit unless they’re disabled. It requires technique. If they don’t have enough strength to do it, they need to go to the gym not buy a semi.

And I’m not sure what good racking the slide would do it’s not like they’re going to train enough to understand how to clear a malfunction.

The best thing you can do is take her to a local range and let her shoot a bunch of guns.

The M&P compact 22 that I have is very reliable with higher velocity 22 rounds

If it’s for home defense, she’s probably better off with a dog

If she plans on carrying it, most mouse guns are not very reliable and a revolver is the only real answer for a non-trained person unless you think under a high stress situation, she wouldn’t be resting her finger on a P3 65 or P320 trigger. And if it’s for Cary, she’s not going to carry a 92 or a Glock 17 consistently. If at all after the first month.

Good luck
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 08-20-2023 at 09:33 PM.

This summer she came to our place and we went to IWLA where she got to try, Glock 19, M&P compact9, Beretta 92, Buckmark .22, Keltech PF9. She realized that she has a grip strength problem so about the only one she could rack was the .22. She ended up buying a Buckmark to at least get shooting but realizes it is not a defensive gun. now she is looking and has found the M&P Shield EZ which she can rack. She is concerned about recoil so is thinking maybe the .380 vs 9mm. I have shot a friend's 9mm but have no clue about the .380. So two questions.
    Are there any other pistols you might recommend?
    BTW revolvers are out of the question. She has no interest.
    Thanks in advance.
    380 EZ is a great choice.

This is against the hive mind, but the other unconventional option is a long slide gun like a G34 with lighter RSA and racking aid.

This one helped my wife initially:

Name:  IMG_3910.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  18.8 KB

https://www.glockstore.com/Slide-Pull-Charging-Handle

Or the cheap knock off version for $12:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOEKIM-Tactic.../dp/B09Q353P6L

Tip up barrel

I've recently seen this pistol on the radar. Seems to be an option.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-14t-tip-up/

Thanks guys. I have forwarded screen shots to sister in law. Looks like the EX.380 would be best for her but I sure don't like 8 round mags. So I forwarded some slide racker links to her in the hope that she might go for an M&P compact w/ 12-15 rnd mags.

Is your sister-in-law of average size and health? If so, could be more of a technique issue than a strength issue.

Respectfully…

Thanks guys. I have forwarded screen shots to sister in law. Looks like the EX.380 would be best for her but I sure don't like 8 round mags. So I forwarded some slide racker links to her in the hope that she might go for an M&P compact w/ 12-15 rnd mags.
    With all due respect, it’s not about what you like as an enthusiast, but what works for her. I think it was a Cooper associate who said:
    “First rule of a gunfight is to have a gun”.
    Ayoob once commented that some people view a handgun as a talisman which will ward off “evil”. I don’t think it works that way. The .380 is better than harsh words, screaming and most rocks. If she’ll carry the Smith(or a G42-my choice, Beretta[clone]) or whatever, that would be a good thing.
    I’m sorry, only into first coffee cup, but she needs some instruction to go with it too, just for safety’s sake. Then hopefully some dry practice. Anything else is a disservice.
    FWIW, I’ve taught several elderly ladies to “carry”. Most still do. Some I started with my G44; a couple have returned for a refresher. One had a G42 that I put a Tango Down extended slide plate on -worked. Another had the use of only her primary hand. Worked that out by showing her with dummy rounds how she could rack a slide on a table edge. She secures the pistol in a lock box at night, and only loads/reloads at her quarterly range trip(and yes, people help her). Best of luck
    One added edit: the comments on technique are spot on.

I know everyone hates snubbies for new shooters but is this person a shooter or simply wants a self-defense tool. If the latter, then an LCR or something similar is easy to load and point shoot at realistic self-defense distances.

User Tag List