Thread: Targets at 100 & 200 yds

Targets at 100 & 200 yds

I am soliciting suggestions for rifle targets for 100 yards and 200 yards with iron sights and red dots. At this range, they are difficult to see and also to establish a consistent point of aim. My goal is to obtain a good 200 yard zero but it has been a struggle. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Since everyone eyes are different, it might be time to experiment with some grid paper and a sharpie to create a target that works with your eyeball, brain, and sight combination that lets you have a consistent aiming point. I’m sure others will be along to offer some better off the shelf suggestions.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

This is what we did when 'zeroing' patrol rifles on pistol ranges -

INITIAL PHASE

RIFLE ZEROING ON PISTOL RANGES

If you desire to zero your rifle at 50, 75, or 100 yards using a 25-yard pistol range use the following techniques.

The first step in achieving an accurate zero is to obtain a trajectory chart for the round you are using in the weapon system.

Sources for accurate trajectory charts can be reloading manuals, ammunition manufacturer websites, or computer programs. Additionally there are several internet sites offering free ballistic calculators. Be sure the information comes from a trusted source.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-re...ics-calculator

In the following examples, the Hornady .223 Remington 55grain TAP URBAN round is used.

Name:  TAP Urban.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  43.4 KB

The next step in the process is to draw a line above or below the center of the aim point on your zero target. In our example, we draw a line 1.1 inches BELOW the aim point for a 50-yard zero and 1.4 inches below for a 75 or 100 yard zero.

Name:  100 yard zero.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  50.8 KB

Using the normal aim point on the zero target, fire groups as you normally would and adjust the sights until the rounds impacts on the intersection of the line marked on the target.

This method is not as precise as zeroing using the actual range desired. Make every effort to use the actual range desired – each minute error made using the method described above will result in a proportionately larger error as range increases.

Google printable red dot optic zero targets and you should see plenty of examples of printable targets. Also, you might want to look through these links:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/UP...-47/18-529846/

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-100-Yard-Zero

SECOND PHASE

You actually have to go out and zero at range. To do this using a red dot you need to know about your reticle - what MOA is the dot, what MOA is/are the circle/hash marks = and how many clicks

For example, my Vortex Spitfire Prism has a simple reticle with a 3 MOA dot, it moves 1/2 MOA per click. To simplify things, at 100 yards 1 MOA = 1 inch; at 200 yards 1 MOA = 2 inches, and so on.

Name:  SPITFIRE DRT.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  30.0 KB

So at 100 yards the dot will cover 3 inches. As a result, I find it easy to use a 4 inch repair sticker for the NRA AP-1 target as an aiming point. Cover the bullseye/sticker and shoot a group. Then use a ruler to measure how far left or right and up and down you are. Adjust and repeat.

At 200 yards you will need twice as big a bullseye to do the same thing.

This is a pdf of 200 yard service rifle targets scaled for use at 100 yards - https://bisonballistics.com/download...-for-100-yards - it may useful for you at both 100 and 200 providing you place it on a bigger sheet of paper or cardboard.

For patrol use and for home defense, I prefer the 100 yard zero. Read the linked 'Zen of the 100 Yard Zero.'

Hope this helps rather than confuses.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 08-20-2023 at 09:00 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    I am soliciting suggestions for rifle targets for 100 yards and 200 yards with iron sights and red dots. At this range, they are difficult to see and also to establish a consistent point of aim. My goal is to obtain a good 200 yard zero but it has been a struggle. Thanks.
    It sounds like you’re training a group of people to shoot, so my remarks are focused on that. Please correct me if I’m off base.

Start with a humanoid target like an E-type silhouette, IDPA, or IPSC target. Staple a B-8 or paint a 6” black ball at center-of-mass. Teach people to put the top of the front sight post in the center of the ball.

Start at 25, move to 50, then to 100. With most 223 loads, you should be 1.5-2” high at 100. Once they get decent groups at 100, move the targets to 200.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

An NRA rifle target is typically about 6 MOA of black aiming area, chosen for a good sight picture with aperture sights.
    And you ought to be able to put a red light in the middle of that.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I like contrast. Black shoot 'n see circle, 6" for 100, 8" for 200, on large white background.

I also like white 6" or 8" circles on dark brown background.

I would add that once you're zeroed, steel is extremely gratifying, especially at 200 yards and beyond.

I've been shooting a 10" plate at 225, with optics ranging from 2.5x to 6x lately.

A 12"x20", or better yet 18"x30" silhouette, would be ideal for irons, I think.

User Tag List