Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practical tips for living with/CCWing a dot?

I don't find it to be that complicated really. I set the dot 1 down from brightest setting when I get up and wipe with a microfiber cloth as needed. Change the battery 1 time a year and thats about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    All good suggestions here, and endorsed. My main dot is an ACRO P2, and I have witness marks on the clamp mounting screw, which I try to glance at daily. After a shooting session, with the piece unloaded, I physically “wiggle” the sight. Caught loosenesses twice over about 5 years, not with this sight but with a P1.
    I change the battery on the 4th of July-2032 on the P2. I had the original battery in for~18 months. I carry a battery in the Glock frame cavity. It’s what I changed to 6 weeks ago, and so far so good. Powered down when stored; I do adjust intensity if circumstances demand/allow. For example, I met some friends Saturday for an outdoor session: bright day, white steel, adjusted up. Decreased that evening. It’s the price of having more complexity that is very beneficial-one has to tend to the gear.
    I think it was @HCM who said his agency SOP is for the operator to draw to confirm sight on/operating. I do that in the early AM, before leaving for work. At bedtime, power off to store and/or check/change intensity.
    @YVK suggestion of having a traveling tool is good. I have a microfiber cloth in my pack to wipe the lens.
    My only other suggestion is to turn it off every so often and work a drill or qual with the backup irons.

Edit to add: I’ve put the Tango Down front lens guard and battery cap on my unit and a few others. They seem very good quality, but I check their security when I clean the gun every few weeks. For other sights, I’d have spare screws, clamps, etc..
    Yes- we teach a dry presentation before putting on the gun for the day to ensure the dot is on/working.

We do not teach / recommend turning the dot off at night or changing intensity. If the gun is needed at night it will usually be in conjunction with a light if some type and the light will wash out a dimmed dot.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes- we teach a dry presentation before putting on the gun for the day to ensure the dot is on/working.

We do not teach / recommend turning the dot off at night or changing intensity. If the gun is needed at night it will usually be in conjunction with a light if some type and the light will wash out a dimmed dot.

Understood, sir-thanks for the clarification. I should have been a bit more specific: the power down/off is my procedure. I did remember your SOP of draw to check dot(and it gets one presentation in).
    Any comment on how your organization deals with battery life? Thanks in advance

An enclosed optic with the new rmrs auto feature would be awesome. Sage dynamics said the auto features is for a lack of better words, perfect

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Understood, sir-thanks for the clarification. I should have been a bit more specific: the power down/off is my procedure. I did remember your SOP of draw to check dot(and it gets one presentation in).
    Any comment on how your organization deals with battery life? Thanks in advance

We are supposed to change batteries every 6 months.

The issued SIG optics have “shake awake” to maximize battery life. Those who have not changed batteries have been (unintentionally) getting a year and half or more. Standard setting is max setting minus 1.

Presently the only other approved optics are type 2 RMRs which have battery life over 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    I carry an eps carry red on circle only at highest brightness about 5 am to 12 am each day. I change the battery quarterly.

I have an identical training gun tbst gers majority of my practice rounds. I do check dot for wiggle on all guns post shooting.

Someone said travel with a spare battery and screw and that is a good one
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have two mrds kits. Both have a holosun tool for the optic, extra screws, cat crap spay and wax, lense wipes, and a micro fiber. One stays on top of my safe and one in my truck
    As these gents said, if you can swing a carry gun and a separate training gun it minimizes likelihood of breaking wearable parts at inopportune times.

In addition I would say: check zero with your carry ammo with your irons. A lot of BUIS aren’t quite where they should be in terms of elevation.

I think all of the above are good suggestions, I especially like the idea about a can of compressed air to blow all the belly button lint out of the optic. I usually use my T-shirt tail…. I check the dot after I put the gun on, and again when I take it off. Just a habit thing. I also tend to run the dot a little brighter than I need for indoors since it’ll appear dimmer in full sunlight.

Witness marking the screws is a good practice, so is setting a calendar reminder to change batteries (I do it once a year in January for all my dot guns).

I’d say the main thing is to practice regularly with your carry gun regardless of dot or no-dot. Admittedly my CCW gun(s) get carried a lot and shot much less than my comp gun, but I try to make a point of shooting them periodically throughout the year. For example, attended a CCW class with my wife last week and I shot my carry gun during the class range exercise. Or I shoot a couple IDPA matches a year and I like to take the opportunity to shoot my CCW gun in whatever street clothes I happen to be wearing that day.

I've been abusing a G48 MOS-mounted Holosun 507k-x2 for well over a year. I set the dot to almost the brightest setting and run the circle dot reticle. It gets carried 10-12 hours per day, every day in a JM Custom kydex IWB on my right side at 3:30. The optics window collects detritus from my hippopotamus-like hide. So, every night I perform several draws and check my presentation and picking up the dot. I check dot intensity and the amount of schmutz on the window. When it gets really bad, I use an alcohol wipe and q-tip to clean. Since it's been about 18 months since I started using it, I'll change the battery tonight. I've seen more Glock front sights fail than decent MRDS...

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I've been abusing a G48 MOS-mounted Holosun 507k-x2 for well over a year. I set the dot to almost the brightest setting and7 run the circle dot reticle. It gets carried 10-12 hours per day, every day in a JM Custom kydex IWB on my right side at 3:30. The optics window collects detritus from my hippopotamus-like hide. So, every night I perform several draws and check my presentation and picking up the dot. I check dot intensity and the amount of schmutz on the window. When it gets really bad, I use an alcohol wipe and q-tip to clean. Since it's been about 18 months since I started using it, I'll change the battery tonight. I've seen more Glock front sights fail than decent MRDS...
    I miss the bigger battery of the 507k vs the eps carry battery. Love the eps carry for everything else but swapping battery every 3 to 4 months is annoying.

I thought maybe it was a unti issue but my other eps carry all need same schedule

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We are supposed to change batteries every 6 months.

The issued SIG optics have “shake awake” to maximize battery life. Those who have not changed batteries have been (unintentionally) getting a year and half or more. Standard setting is max setting minus 1.

Presently the only other approved optics are type 2 RMRs which have battery life over 1 year.
    Interesting. I've intentionally run dry the batteries on my Romeo1 Pro twice. Both times it failed at almost exactly 9 months. 2 settings up from medium.....whatever that is.

So I'm gonna do the 'every 6 months' schedule as well.

User Tag List