Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kimber KDS9c - what the DW DWX Compact should have been

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    May be missing something as I am more familiar with polymer guns, but the G17 I'd a 17 lb spring
    I preface this with I am no expert. I did not stay in a HolidayInn last night either. Yes, Glocks and other striker fired pistols do run recoil springs in the 17 pound range. From what I have seen, Governement Models and Commanders normally run recoil springs in 11-13 pound range. Everyones mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    I preface this with I am no expert. I did not stay in a HolidayInn last night either. Yes, Glocks and other striker fired pistols do run recoil springs in the 17 pound range. From what I have seen, Governement Models and Commanders normally run recoil springs in 11-13 pound range. Everyones mileage may vary.
    Those guns are 1911s chambered in 9mm, and it has to have 9mm pushing a 45 size slide and possibly barrel( I know older Colt 1911s used smaller diameter barrels) reliably.
    As we can see from the video, the Kimber is 1911esque, but not a 1911.
    Another thing that may play into it is how much resistance does having to recock the hammer have. I know that was another thing brought up in 9mm 1911s.

Site Supporter
    My preference for grip safeties on 1911’s comes from having accidentally wiped off the thumb safety twice while carrying one. A well-designed grip safety should not cause any problems with deactivating when the gun is grasped.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My preference for grip safeties on 1911’s comes from having accidentally wiped off the thumb safety twice while carrying one. A well-designed grip safety should not cause any problems with deactivating when the gun is grasped.
    This makes a ton of sense

I don't see how the lack of grip safety affects it negatively for threat management. I know plenty of guys who carried 1911s thst pinned the grip safety
    It’s outside my own personal level of comfort.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I don't see how the lack of grip safety affects it negatively for threat management. I know plenty of guys who carried 1911s thst pinned the grip safety
    I have 1911s with triggers that are in the same weight range as P365s and P320s and VP nines and GPT’s. So I am not sure in today’s world why a grip safety let alone a thumb safety on a 1911 is necessary?

Yes, that is sarcastic. My 365 has a TS. For some reason it’s OK for a polymer gun with a 4 pound trigger to not have a safety but by God a 1911 without two safeties is blasphemy.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    It’s outside my own personal level of comfort.
    This makes sense. I am primarily striker fired no safety (in fact all we own except a lcr 22) but depending on 1911 trigger weight I can see why this gets squirrelly

I could never come up with an explanation that I myself could believe about any grip safety benefits on a series 80 1911. This Kimber looks like a series 80 thing so for me personally the absent grip safety is not a big deal.
    Ineffective checkering and absence of adapter plates are bigger concerns.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    ……Are Kimber’s good now?

Haven’t seen one in a LGS in years
    I've owned a couple Kimbers in the last couple of years -- full size 1911s without the firing pin safety -- and they were totally fine. Don't remember them ever having a malfunction of any kind.

Site Supporter
    My concern with a 1911 or similar gun is not just the trigger pull weight. The length of the trigger pull is also quite short.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List