Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kimber KDS9c - what the DW DWX Compact should have been

There are two subtle things the Humble Marksman said in the video about this pistol that has not been brought up in any conversation I've seen to date. First, the barrel does not have any top locking lugs. Second, it uses a 17 pound recoil spring. This almost makes this a blow back pistol rather than a locked breach pistol which then gives me pause of wear and tare over the long haul versus other traditional locked breach 1911 designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    There are two subtle things the Humble Marksman said in the video about this pistol that has not been brought up in any conversation I've seen to date. First, the barrel does not have any top locking lugs. Second, it uses a 17 pound recoil spring. This almost makes this a blow back pistol rather than a locked breach pistol which then gives me pause of wear and tare over the long haul versus other traditional locked breach 1911 designs.
    It doesn't have no locking lugs, it doesn't have traditional 1911 locking lugs. It looks like the chamber locks into the ejection port like most modern guns. It still has the 1911 link too.
    So it's more a hybrid system like the Ruger P-series.

Site Supporter
    Is it possible that the barrel locks up with the ejection port?

17 pounds does not strike me as unreasonable for a lightweight 9mm.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    It doesn't have no locking lugs, it doesn't have traditional 1911 locking lugs. It looks like the chamber locks into the ejection port like most modern guns. It still has the 1911 link too.
    So it's more a hybrid system like the Ruger P-series.
    We can only hope it is built with the strength akin to the Ruger P-Series.

Is it possible that the barrel locks up with the ejection port?
    The Humble Marksman did not go in depth in design features other than to say it did not have locking lugs. Without having one to go hands on with or talk to the folks at Kimber, even if they were inclined to go into detail about the design, we are left guessing as to why.

We can only hope it is built with the strength akin to the Ruger P-Series.

The Humble Marksman did not go in depth in design features other than to say it did not have locking lugs. Without having one to go hands on with or talk to the folks at Kimber, even if they were inclined to go into detail about the design, we are left guessing as to why.

Go to 6:05 in the video. It has a circumferential locking shoulder at the front of the chamber.
    The reason why is simple, same reason as Ruger and every other design that uses it. It's easier and cheaper to do than the individually cut multiple lugs, and doesn't have any practical downside.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Go to 6:05 in the video. It has a circumferential locking shoulder at the front of the chamber.
    The reason why is simple, same reason as Ruger and every other design that uses it. It's easier and cheaper to do than the individually cut multiple lugs, and doesn't have any practical downside.
    Thank you for pointing this out. I am sure they used machining techniques to shorten and streamline manufacturing processes to keep the cost lower.

I also noticed the bottom of the barrel isn’t akin to a 1911 or 2011 barrel. Wonder if that could also be part of the lockup?

Name:  IMG_1558.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  51.3 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

May be missing something as I am more familiar with polymer guns, but the G17 I'd a 17 lb spring

I’m like Bill, but with a stronger opinion - homey don’t do light triggered guns like in the 1911 universe without a grip safety. This falls into my personal “nope, which is really too bad” category as a EDC X9 and BHP.

If it’s not purely a gamer gun, it’s capability as a threat management tool needs to be considered.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m like Bill, but with a stronger opinion - homey don’t do light triggered guns like in the 1911 universe without a grip safety. This falls into my personal “nope, which is really too bad” category as a EDC X9 and BHP.

If it’s not purely a gamer gun, it’s capability as a threat management tool needs to be considered.
    I don't see how the lack of grip safety affects it negatively for threat management. I know plenty of guys who carried 1911s thst pinned the grip safety

User Tag List