Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G19 w/Grip Anchor vs. G45?

Site Supporter

G19 w/Grip Anchor vs. G45?

I recently got my first Glock, a G45. I've been carrying for almost 40 years and resisted getting a Glock because everybody, his brother, and his brother's dog, had one. I really like the G45.

Now that LTT has SCDs in stock again (have one on the way) I need to decide on Glock number two. It's going to be either a G19 with a Grip Anchor or another G45. Usage will be concealed carry - I'm a geezer and can dress around the gun, most of my other carry guns are full-size. I already have holsters and magazines. The additional two round capacity in the G45 is irrelevant for me. I carry strong side IWB most of the time, strong side OWB on occasion.

It looks like the difference in concealability would be a wash between them - is it? Also, reading through the grip anchor thread, it sounds like there may be a difference in how they shoot based on the grip designs. Is it big enough to cause issues switching between them? Are there any other concerns I haven't mentioned?

Thanks!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I have both the G19 with grip anchor really isn’t bigger than without it and I carry strong side IWB. Shooting it, sometimes I think I prefer it over the G45 because where my pinky rides, I get a good grip and it doesn’t move around on multiple shots. The grip anchor fills out the back of my hand and just locks it in. It’s my daily CC though I have shot matches with it too.

Then I shoot the G45 and think this is my perfect match gun, I really like it and don’t see any difference shooting it or the G19 but it does print more and the G19 feels more secure most of the time. (I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery and have nerve damage in my hands so my grip is compromised, most others find the full size grip better so they tell me.)

Oddly enough, my favorite though is the Gen 5 G21. I feel I have and maintain a better grip on the gun probably due to the extra room for my support hand to connect with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    (1)It looks like the difference in concealability would be a wash between them - is it? (2) Also, reading through the grip anchor thread, it sounds like there may be a difference in how they shoot based on the grip designs. (3)Is it big enough to cause issues switching between them? (4)Are there any other concerns I haven't mentioned?
    Pardon my annotation, but easier to answer, from one old man to another, just my opinions based on my experience

1. No, not a wash, the LTT extended G19 is something I find lower profile than a full size G17/34/45 butt, I am carrying in a JMCK IWB#3 15 degree cant at 3:00 under an untucked shirt all the time.
    2. I cannot detect it, at least for my hand, the difference was G19 without LTT plug and the G19 with one being closer to the recoil management I get in a full size 17, cannot tell the LLT plug equiped G19 from a full size 17/45/34 now in firing or drills, although I acknowledge there are some differences, it simply does not show up for me
    3. Not for me, no difference in recoil management between the G19 and G17, I still see a difference in the gen 5 G23 vs G22 but I attribute that to slide mass more than grip factors.
    4 Not that I can identify, I really like the LTT extension and after putting about 500-600 rounds through one I determined every G19/23/32 I owned must have one and they now do. I should karma off the grip plugs they all replaced....
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I pretty much echo what @fatdog says.

Concealability. I’m a pretty stout 6’0’’ and with an untucked shirt it doesn’t matter what I’m carrying AIWB. With a tucked in shirt, which is most days, there is a material difference between the G19 with grip anchor, and G45.

Shootability. There was a big difference between G19 without grip anchor, and G45. With the grip anchor it’s about a draw. I might say the G45 has a slight edge due to the slightly longer handle, but it’s slight.

Switching between them? Perhaps a more sophisticated shooter than I would perceive differences. For me, six of one, half dozen of the other.

Concerns? With the grip anchor, you can’t use X-grip sleeves with 17-round mags. Otherwise, I maintain it’s the single greatest G19 accessory ever devised.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...I am carrying in a JMCK IWB#3 15 degree cant at 3:00 under an untucked shirt all the time.
    That's exactly my setup.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    ... Otherwise, I maintain it’s the single greatest G19 accessory ever devised.
    I will vote it the second greatest, SCD remains in first place for my all time Glock accessory....
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I will vote it the second greatest, SCD remains in first place for my all time Glock accessory....
    Concur. I wish to revise and extend my remarks below accordingly.

Grip anchor vs Vickers grip plug/takedown tool? Vickers quick to remove when less printing is desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I pretty much echo what @fatdog says.

Concealability. I’m a pretty stout 6’0’’ and with an untucked shirt it doesn’t matter what I’m carrying AIWB. With a tucked in shirt, which is most days, there is a material difference between the G19 with grip anchor, and G45.

Shootability. There was a big difference between G19 without grip anchor, and G45. With the grip anchor it’s about a draw. I might say the G45 has a slight edge due to the slightly longer handle, but it’s slight.

Switching between them? Perhaps a more sophisticated shooter than I would perceive differences. For me, six of one, half dozen of the other.

Concerns? With the grip anchor, you can’t use X-grip sleeves with 17-round mags. Otherwise, I maintain it’s the single greatest G19 accessory ever devised.
    For me (5’10”/165 lbs), an overall height of 5.0” is about the most that I can reasonably conceal AIWB. The extra .3” or so between a G19 and a G17 makes a noticeable difference. The Grip Anchor adds almost nothing to the overall height, being essentially flush with the mag floor plate, but makes a definite difference in shooting. With the Grip Anchor, I see no real benefit to a G45, and would definitely go with the G19.

Site Supporter
    A G19 with a grip anchor extends the grip so that it is approximately even with the back of the magazine, while a full size grip with a magazine will leave the back of the magazine exposed. I suspect these sharp magazine base plate corners of wearing holes in some of my shirts and sweaters. The grip anchor therefore improves concealability while also protecting your clothing.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List