Thread: Problem With FrankenGlock

Problem With FrankenGlock

I bought a Lone Wolf G19 clone on sale from PSA and really like the grip angle and feel, so I bought a full-sized Lone Wolf (G17) frame and an LJ's G17 RMR cut slide for a cheap clone build in the spirit of this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....94-mega-thread

The Lone Wolf frame was complete and I completed the slide with a Lone Wolf slide completion kit. I used an AIM Surplus DLC barrel and a stock recoil spring.

Put the components together and it dry fired great.

Took it to the range - 1 round, cycles and chambers the next round but dead trigger - no reset. Unload, check things out, everything seems okay so load and fire. Same deal. Single fired enough rounds to zero optic and headed home.

Got home with the thought in mind I had problems with the Lone Wolf trigger or connector. Replaced with Glock parts including a NY 1 trigger spring, put on orange slide plate, checked cruciform to striker engagement, dry fired it and off to range, this time with parts.

Now it doesn't fire at all. Disassemble slide, find that the striker safety plunger is peined. Reassemble slide, dry-fire pistol, crack slide, no striker protrusion. Remove the striker safety completely and it ran like a top, fired the remainder of a box, about 35 rounds.

That's great, except I need a striker safety.

Back at home I take a stock G17 slide and put it on the LW frame - dry-fire, crack slide, firing pin protrusion. Take the LJ's slide put it on the Glock frame- dry-fire, crack slide, no firing pin protrusion.

So it's in the slide. I take both the stock slide and the LJ's slide apart. Measure the depth of the safety plunger hole on both slides, measure the breech face to safety plunger hole distance on both slides. They are close enough that I would consider them the same taking into account my HF calipers and my measuring skills.

Next I took the Gen 3 safety plungers I had on hand - three - put them into the slide and dry-fired - no firing pin protrusion.

I'm unsure why it initially did the fire one and not reset the trigger, but apparently for the first shot it was depressing the striker plunger far enough.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Maybe take some photos and post them so we can see the bottom of slide, etc.

Something like this:
    Name:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  29.2 KB

Have you looked through the magwell while you pulled the trigger to see what’s happening?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Is there any good way to measure the distance from the bottom of the safety to the bottom of the slide on both sides? If the safety is not being pushed up far enough, maybe its starting position is a tiny bit too high.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Random 3am thoughts:

Are we sure the striker is moving freely within the channel liner? Take the slide off. Depress the striker block. Shake the slide. If you don’t hear the striker rattling around in there, it’s caught on something. It should move back and forth freely. For that matter, are we sure there’s a channel liner in the slide? If not, then there’s wiggle room for the striker to not line up with the breech face hole. Which could also cause problems with it lining up with striker block correctly.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Maybe take some photos and post them so we can see the bottom of slide, etc.

Something like this:
    Name:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  29.2 KB

Have you looked through the magwell while you pulled the trigger to see what’s happening?
    Thanks Lon!

Everything but that - even used poor man's dye-chem (sharpie).

Site Supporter
    Dan is an armorer. When he has to seek advice, his gun must be bad screwed up!🤭

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Random 3am thoughts:

Are we sure the striker is moving freely within the channel liner? Take the slide off. Depress the striker block. Shake the slide. If you don’t hear the striker rattling around in there, it’s caught on something. It should move back and forth freely. For that matter, are we sure there’s a channel liner in the slide? If not, then there’s wiggle room for the striker to not line up with the breech face hole. Which could also cause problems with it lining up with striker block correctly.
    The channel liner is there. There is no wiggle room. The striker doesn't go in as easily with maritime cups as it does with standard cups, never really experienced that before. I have to really shake to get it to rattle.

Assembled, upside down, I put a screwdriver on the safety plunger just at the point the 'hump' was going to slide off - I had some distance to go before the plunger bottomed. Tried it with a working Glock - had just about the same feel.

So at this point, I'm thinking my striker channel is off-kilter, even though my pathetic measuring skills when comparing the Lj's Slide and a Glock Slide place the holes within .003 of each other.

I emailed Lj's and asked for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Dan is an armorer. When he has to seek advice, his gun must be bad screwed up!🤭
    Lon gave me an idea, I was too focused on the safety plunger as the culprit, not a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Is there any good way to measure the distance from the bottom of the safety to the bottom of the slide on both sides? If the safety is not being pushed up far enough, maybe its starting position is a tiny bit too high.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    The safety plunger hole on the Lj's slide is a tad bit deeper - .017ish - than the stock Glock slide I'm using as comparison.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    The safety plunger hole on the Lj's slide is a tad bit deeper - .017ish - than the stock Glock slide I'm using as comparison.
    But where is the surface of the safety relative to the bottom of the slide? If the safety on the problem slide sits a tiny bit higher relative to the trigger bar, the trigger part won't raise it as far upward when you pull the trigger. That might or might not interfere with forward travel of the striker.

I've had two brand aftermarket slides in which the extractors were mis-positioned because of the way the slide were milled. You could look at the breech face and see that the extractor claw sat too far forward of the breech face. Ejection was horrible with both of those slides. The G19 Brownells slide that I have now also has problems, though the reason with it has not been as easy to diagnose. I'm sorry you're having problems.

User Tag List