Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for screws - HS407/507

I just had a slide milled for a Holosun by Battle Werx and they use Camcar 4-40 screws; I think they have the 82° head, though.
    Here’s their page for extra screws in case you’re interested.
    https://www.battlewerx.com/optic-mounting-screws/

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Why is this so damn difficult?

I ordered the screws from McMaster Carr, 6-32x5/16" and 4-40x1/4" Torx flat head, 18-8 stainless. The heads are too big!

Side note: I also asked Holosun to sell me 8 spare screws, and two spare battery covers. They refused my repeated requests to pay, and said they would send it all gratis. A few days later (same day the screws arrived from Mcmaster) I got four screws, and no battery covers.
    Well... now I feel like an ass.

I don’t know what happened, but in my brain I was thinking M&P because that’s almost all I’ve mounted (and 2011 style) and I didn’t even catch the 4-40 thing.

The McMaster 18-8 screws vary in head diameter. The 5/16” are indeed too wide, while the 1/2” that I had in mind for the M&P are of the thinner .262 diameter.

The only screws I could find (in bulk) for the Holosun - Glock MOS are the Zinc-Plated Steel 3/8”. I tested them and they do not protrude from the bottom of the MOS plate. I have plenty so if you want 10 or so PM me your address and I’ll mail them to you this week.

As for the 4-40 screws, the head diameter should be fine at .212”, as I use the alloy steel at .255 and they work fine. I will say that though C&H says to use 1/4” for Holosun I have both the 1/4” and the 5/16”. I test fit and use whichever gives better engagement without protruding out the bottom. That usually ends up being the 5/16”.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Well... now I feel like an ass.
    No reason you should feel bad, I was the one who didn't check head diameter, and didn't notice it took a T15 bit, which was an additional clue I was ordering the wrong stuff! If I had noticed that I would have selected a different screw.
    The McMaster 18-8 screws vary in head diameter. The 5/16” are indeed too wide, while the 1/2” that I had in mind for the M&P are of the thinner .262 diameter.
    Good to know the .262" diameter screws work. I should have pulled out one of the old screws, and measured it with calipers, before ordering, but I checked the screws Holosun sent, and the head diameter is .250". I figured .012 wouldn't matter, but nice to know for sure.

The only screws I could find (in bulk) for the Holosun - Glock MOS are the Zinc-Plated Steel 3/8”. I tested them and they do not protrude from the bottom of the MOS plate. I have plenty so if you want 10 or so PM me your address and I’ll mail them to you this week.
    Thanks, that's a very generous offer, but after realizing my mistake, and taking measurements with the calipers, and test fitting the screws HS sent (all things I should have done prior to buying the other screws), I ordered a bunch of the correct screws last night. Thanks for the offer though, and if you have any use for a bunch of 6-32x5/16" 18-8 stainless, with the .307" head diameter, let me know, and I'll send them your way.

As for the 4-40 screws, the head diameter should be fine at .212”, as I use the alloy steel at .255 and they work fine. I will say that though C&H says to use 1/4” for Holosun I have both the 1/4” and the 5/16”. I test fit and use whichever gives better engagement without protruding out the bottom. That usually ends up being the 5/16”.
    Good info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Thanks, that's a very generous offer, but after realizing my mistake, and taking measurements with the calipers, and test fitting the screws HS sent (all things I should have done prior to buying the other screws), I ordered a bunch of the correct screws last night. Thanks for the offer though, and if you have any use for a bunch of 6-32x5/16" 18-8 stainless, with the .307" head diameter, let me know, and I'll send them your way.
    I appreciate the offer… I have at least a couple hundred of the 5/16” screws in stainless and alloy steel from my learning process.

User Tag List