Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43 in 2023

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I was more wondering if the slightly increased weight and increased recoil and size increase over the G42 was worth it for the 9mm performance or if it was better to just stick with a G19 in 9mm and use the G42 when lighter weight lower profile is needed. (What I do today).
    In my opinion, absolutely not, especially for someone less skilled and more recoil sensitive like my wife. When going from 9mm to .380, I use FMJ in 380 to ensure adequate penetration. So I'm basically giving up expansion to get much better and faster shot placement. A few .380s to a vital area are drastically better than some 9mm JHPs low and left at a slower pace.

There are also a smaller selection of 9mm projectiles that will expand from a barrel as short as the 43s to begin with.

Site Supporter
    I have had a G43 since 2017. I religiously replace all springs and wear parts at 1000-1500 rounds, whether or not I have a failure. They MUST be PMI'd often.

I have run Shield Z9 magazines and a G43x Top End w/507K in it since January and have had a little over 2 cases of Federal AE9AP through it since the mods. Huge upgrade on both fronts, and it rides with me from time to time when I want to throw a gun in my pocket. I really wish they would standardize on the G43x/48 frame dimensions, because I hate the TLR6 that's riding on it.

All of that being said, my general go to pocket carry gun is a G42. It's just *that* much smaller that it's a better pocket gun, and really shoots quite well.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Lotsa rounds through G42’s & G43’s. For me, the 42 can be run crazy fast, like a rimfire. The 43 is just “squirmier” in the hand. You can still do good work with a 43, but it takes more effort. And the G42 is definitely the confluence of just big enough to be very shootable & small enough to be super easy to hide. J frames still ride in my pockets occasionally in an aholster, but I’m thinking about adding a G42 aholster to the stable.

I have a very early glock 43 that I haven’t had any issues with. The connector doesn’t have the (-) on it like my 43x and 48.

I had a 42 for a while but I let it go a few years back.

I really want to get back to carrying the 43 as a bug but the 442 rides so nice on my ankle.

JR1572

I had a 42 and it was a good little gun. But ammo at $350.00 a case is discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I was more wondering if the slightly increased weight and increased recoil and size increase over the G42 was worth it for the 9mm performance or if it was better to just stick with a G19 in 9mm and use the G42 when lighter weight lower profile is needed. (What I do today).
    I’ve shot both in ECQC classes, among other events. In the final analysis, I don’t have a 43 anymore (after owning 2), but I still have the 42. I’d rather have a 26 and a 42 than just a 43. JMO. Of course, if money is no object, then “n+1=the best number” still applies.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve shot both in ECQC classes, among other events. In the final analysis, I don’t have a 43 anymore (after owning 2), but I still have the 42. I’d rather have a 26 and a 42 than just a 43. JMO. Of course, if money is no object, then “n+1=the best number” still applies.
    1 week into owning the G43 and I might fall into this camp just like the lot of ya's. I've only shot 250 rounds out of it since buying it.

Holy shit. It is so much easier to run the G42 well than the G43, which was always one of the reasons I used the G42 and held off on the 43 for so long. I really want the give the G43 a fair shake, though. I haven't run them side by side yet, either...so the maxim "feelings lie" is applicable. I won't make a decision one way or the other until getting more valid data points.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm using the G43 more than ever now that I'm in Texas, though I do have a replacement for a belt gun in hand now. I'm surprised to hear of reliability issues reported here, as I've never had or heard of any problems until this thread. I agree it is squirmy, just as any micro 9mm is for me. I'll keep using it as a pocket gun with my boraii holster for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It is so much easier to run the G42 well than the G43, which was always one of the reasons I used the G42 and held off on the 43 for so long.
    In general, friends don't let friends carry .380's... but the Glock 42 may be an exception that proves the rule.

First and foremost, it is fun to shoot.

Secondly, the newer pistols can offer an acceptable degree of reliability with proper care and feeding.

Thirdly, the overall size and weight of the locked-breech G42 produce a practically perfect package of power, precision, and portability in a polymer pocket pistol for plinking and potential personal protection.

Lastly, did I mention that this is a small defensive pistol that is enjoyable for most people to shoot...a lot?

Quality .380 Auto FMJ is currently 33 cents per round. That is cheaper than everything except 9x19mm FMJ and rimfire ammunition. Buy as much as you can afford and use it for both practice and carry. Using the same factory Full Metal Jacket ammo for both training and defense has many advantages when using the .380 Auto cartridge. FMJ can help ensure reliable operation of the pistol and sufficient bullet penetration. Every shot taken in practice will vet the gun with your "carry" load. Every shot taken in practice will "rotate your carry ammo". It will make shooting and stockpiling ammo cheaper, consequently encouraging both. Also, FMJ overpenetration and hollow-point expansion are less probable with the relatively low-power pocket pistol cartridges.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....for-mouse-guns

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post

Thirdly, the overall size and weight of the locked-breech G42 produce a practically perfect package of power, precision, and portability in a polymer pocket pistol for plinking and potential personal protection.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List