Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB - Wedge vs. Claw - I can't get the claw to work

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    As @Elwin suggested, modifying the wing tip can help. I now use the smaller one, ground down by about 50%. That reduces the tuck of the grip so the optic prints less. It also helps with the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'll second everything @Clusterfrack said. I have basically the same setup, except with a 19.5 MOS and 507k.

Definitely the 2.5 with monoblock is better for smaller waist sizes(I'm a 32 and ~165 lbs). Wide belt mounting flat out doesn't work for me. I generally have the optic/sights over the button of my pants. A hook or loop there doesn't work.

Get a 17 length for better stability at the higher ride height.

An optic will print a lot more with the claw. You'll have to find a balance between grip and optic printing.

ETA: I'll diverge on the pillow. I can't add pillows or pads to my holster. Too much junk in the frunk. Looks like a really weird bulge. OK with loose fitting cargo pants/shorts, but doesn't work for any of my slacks or jeans.
    Thanks for the pic. You both aren't hitting knuckles on your belt during the draw? That doesn't look like a huge gap to get your hand in to me but the angle could be off.

One thing I like about trigger guard wedge holsters is that it creates a gap that kicks the belt out right where your middle finger knuckles would go when you draw the holster. That being said, the clips prints like crazy with like fabric buttondowns. Winter flannels, not so much.

Name:  20230816_225248.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  gappppp.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  40.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Thanks for the pic. You both aren't hitting knuckles on your belt during the draw? That doesn't look like a huge gap to me but the angle could be off.
    No, but I don't "master grip" on the draw (unless it's SHO). My AIWB draw starts with a 'whap' from the front with relaxed fingers. That wraps the fingers around the grip, and i pull the gun out as my thumb clears the beavertail and completes the grip when my support hand arrives. I do not push down from above. I'll make a demo video and post it soon.

One thing I like about trigger guard wedge holsters is that it creates a gap that kicks the belt out right where your middle finger knuckles would go when you draw the holster. That being said, the clips prints like crazy with like fabric buttondowns. Winter flannels, not so much.
    The wedge is not great for my thin body type. It looks like a bump at my beltline, and while it's not a direct print it looks odd.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    No, but I don't "master grip" on the draw (unless it's SHO). My AIWB draw starts with a 'whap' from the front with relaxed fingers. That wraps the fingers around the grip, and i pull the gun out as my thumb clears the beavertail and completes the grip when my support hand arrives. I do not push down from above. I'll make a demo video and post it soon.

The wedge is not great for my thin body type. It looks like a bump at my beltline, and while it's not a direct print it looks odd.
    I would appreciate the video. Just playing around here for the last hour while the family is snoozing I was seeing if I could modify my grip at the draw to alleviate this.

Re: bump at belt line - yup not a direct print at all, but very weird looking for sure. Exactly what I'm experiencing.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I could be wrong though or get the mod wing and test that out vs. the raven one that I have.
    First all, I think it’d be much easier to make suggestions if you included some pics, IMO it’s a bit harder to diagnose this way.

But in regards to the quote above, keep in mind that the Raven runs wider from the holster trigger guard area than the dark wing and mod wing. So if you’re having a knuckle-thwap problem with the Raven wing that creates a bit more room for the middle finger, I doubt an alternate wing will be better.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

AIWB - Wedge vs. Claw - I can't get the claw to work

Not sure if this helps but here's my draw:

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-17-2023 at 09:59 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Random thought - have you tried a Mod Wing with the larger block? That much rotation may cause problems elsewhere, or not, but I’ve found that creates some gap to help with hand clearance without causing belt line printing

Unlike Clusterfrack I do master grip on the draw (partly because it’s how I learned and partly because 1911 beavertails work better for me that way). I avoid finger contact by using holsters with infinite ride height adjustability (JM with Universal Mod 4 DCCs or Tenicor with their similar DCC clips) and getting the holster only just barely high enough to not hit my knuckles on most draws. If I’m scraping by belt every once in a while I figure that’s about perfect. I’d strongly recommend trying some Universal DCCs on your current holster to see if that helps - if it does, you avoided buying a new holster and/or being stuck with one you can’t use.

The Modwing, IMO, is an absolute piece of shit. I've torn up my middle knuckle repeatedly during relatively short dry fire sessions. Im surprised and disappointed it has gained so much traction in the holster industry.

I have a couple holsters with Modwings. They stay in reserve while I continue to use older designs with the RCS claw and RCS Vanguard claw.

Modwing shown below on a JMCK holster, a 2.5 I think. Note proximity between knuckle and wing.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230817_083713.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  34.3 KB

Below is an older design from DSG with RCS Vanguard claw. Plenty of space for my knuckle.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230817_083655.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  32.1 KB

And below is my favorite holster, a JMCK with the original RCS claw. Thousands of draws from this holster, never any knuckle bash issues. Sadly, I don't see this holster in @Tony Mayer 's catalog anymore.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230817_083632.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  33.8 KB
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-17-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The Modwing, IMO, is an absolute piece of shit. I've torn up my middle knuckle repeatedly during relatively short dry fire sessions. Im surprised and disappointed it has gained so much traction in the holster industry.

I have a couple holsters with Modwings. They stay in reserve while I continue to use older designs with the RCS claw and RCS Vanguard claw.

If its hitting your knuckle that's a problem of inadequate clearance in the holster design for the wing, not the wing itself.

I’m one of the narrow waisted people that can’t get anything close to acceptable concealment with the older, trigger guard area wedge holsters. It looks like I’ve got a colostomy bag. The JMCK WC 2.5 works really well for me. I just tried a 2.0 I bought from another member and can’t make the wide loop spacing work for me. I’m trying to replace it with another 2.5.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m one of the narrow waisted people that can’t get anything close to acceptable concealment with the older, trigger guard area wedge holsters. It looks like I’ve got a colostomy bag. The JMCK WC 2.5 works really well for me. I just tried a 2.0 I bought from another member and can’t make the wide loop spacing work for me. I’m trying to replace it with another 2.5.
    I'm 6 foot 1, 165lbs, 32" waist after a heavy dinner.

I can't do a wide spaced clip or loop as the left attachment will be right on the peak of my body and also where my belt buckle wants to be. However, I have great luck with a single DCC clip attached to the wing with hard spacers, like how an Enigma is put together. I actually use Engima Shells and similar holsters like the Phlster Skeleton set up this way with great results for me, even less belt profile than a center mounted clip or Monoblock.

Due to where the rotation happens, having the clip (or a single soft loop) right over the trigger guard means even if the single attachment point allows rotation, that rotation has a less exaggerated effect on getting the grip too close to the beltline for a proper draw.

A single centrally mounted clip is more of a peak stacked together, and the same amount of rotation has a larger effect on available finger gap.

I tried a wedge AIWB, terrible for my body type unfortunately.

Name:  20230718_212356.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  20.6 KB
    Name:  20221226_152434.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  41.3 KB

User Tag List