Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB - Wedge vs. Claw - I can't get the claw to work

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The Modwing, IMO, is an absolute piece of shit. I've torn up my middle knuckle repeatedly during relatively short dry fire sessions. Im surprised and disappointed it has gained so much traction in the holster industry.

Modwing shown below on a JMCK holster, a 2.5 I think. Note proximity between knuckle and wing.
    Attachment 108490
    That seems kind of harsh. You could easily cut the top part of the ModWing, just above the screw, and end up with about as much clearance as the RCS claws. This should be an easily solvable problem.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Good to see you back in here CB!

Ya know, the very first purpose built AIWB I ever bought came from you, maybe 3-4 years ago? I still carry in it every day during the week, 4-5 days a week.

It's a standard JMCK AIWB, w/ extra tuck (no pad, which I HIGLY prefer), G17 length. I replaced the belt loop with fixed soft loops (they print less), and given it an optic relief cut. Perfect for the G19 build I carry daily.

Now, I've also gotten a JMCK Wing Claw 2.0, G17 length, to go tuckable when needed. I use it with one strut w/ PDS loop, as the other strut/loop would end up right where my belt buckle would be. Also gave it an optic relief cut.

Slim build here, 5'6", 150, 31" waist.

The point is this: for me, it's all compromise.

The first one affords me a slightly better grip/draw, and greater comfort, at the cost of a bit of concealability.

The Wing Claw affords slightly greater concealability, at the cost of slightly less comfort and "drawability".

To me there's no perfect, just best. I truly do prefer the first holster, I just have to pay a bit more attention to what kind of shirt is being used.

Hell, in the summer I still sometimes run the gun in a Bladetech Ultimate Klipt, when off work and just tooling around in a wife beater & shorts.

I 've somehow, despite the narrow waist, never had too much of a problem with the way the standard AIWB works, with the wedging area directly over the triggerguard, but I do think The George really may be the answer for this. I've read Tony's description of it, and it seems to adress this very issue.

I use a jm claw 2.0. I also use the smaller wing attachment and sand it down when necessary to balance out the butt of the gun tuck and optic printing. I find the claw plus a pillow from mastermind to conceal well and make a duty size gun (p2000/p30) comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Not sure if this helps but here's my draw:

This was awesome. Thank you. It definitely gives me a starting point on where I may need to tweak some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Random thought - have you tried a Mod Wing with the larger block? That much rotation may cause problems elsewhere, or not, but I’ve found that creates some gap to help with hand clearance without causing belt line printing

Unlike Clusterfrack I do master grip on the draw (partly because it’s how I learned and partly because 1911 beavertails work better for me that way). I avoid finger contact by using holsters with infinite ride height adjustability (JM with Universal Mod 4 DCCs or Tenicor with their similar DCC clips) and getting the holster only just barely high enough to not hit my knuckles on most draws. If I’m scraping by belt every once in a while I figure that’s about perfect. I’d strongly recommend trying some Universal DCCs on your current holster to see if that helps - if it does, you avoided buying a new holster and/or being stuck with one you can’t use.
    Mod wing with larger block - I was actually thinking this exact thing to see if I could get the similar effect of the gap I wanted. Glad to hear it is works for you.

Universal DCCs - I'll have to think about this more, It could work with slight tweaks with cant adjustment for sure. I'm hoping not to raise the holster any more higher for concealment issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The Modwing, IMO, is an absolute piece of shit. I've torn up my middle knuckle repeatedly during relatively short dry fire sessions. Im surprised and disappointed it has gained so much traction in the holster industry.

I have a couple holsters with Modwings. They stay in reserve while I continue to use older designs with the RCS claw and RCS Vanguard claw.

Modwing shown below on a JMCK holster, a 2.5 I think. Note proximity between knuckle and wing.
    Attachment 108490

Below is an older design from DSG with RCS Vanguard claw. Plenty of space for my knuckle.
    Attachment 108491

And below is my favorite holster, a JMCK with the original RCS claw. Thousands of draws from this holster, never any knuckle bash issues. Sadly, I don't see this holster in @Tony Mayer 's catalog anymore.
    Attachment 108492
    That first pic looks rough for sure. I would definitely do some chopping on that with a dremel. I haven't chopped mine yet but its probably on the first list of mods I try. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the concealment in any weird unforeseeable way.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m one of the narrow waisted people that can’t get anything close to acceptable concealment with the older, trigger guard area wedge holsters. It looks like I’ve got a colostomy bag. The JMCK WC 2.5 works really well for me. I just tried a 2.0 I bought from another member and can’t make the wide loop spacing work for me. I’m trying to replace it with another 2.5.
    May I ask the issue? I look at the design and I don't see that much of a difference. I can't understand how the wider loops affect things so negatively. In other words, I'm trying to figure out if I get a 2.5, is it that much different that it will it solve my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    That seems kind of harsh. You could easily cut the top part of the ModWing, just above the screw, and end up with about as much clearance as the RCS claws. This should be an easily solvable problem.
    Yes, it is a harsh opinion. I stand by it. In short order, the Modwing took a decent portion of skin from my middle knuckle. Took ages to heal. And I don't have big hands.

Yes, it would be an easy modification to cut down the modwing. I don't mind taking a good product and making it even better. Most of my holsters have been personalized to some extent via dremel, heat gun or jig saw. But, in my opinion, the modwing is not a good product. It's a flawed design that only works properly in very limited applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    May I ask the issue? I look at the design and I don't see that much of a difference. I can't understand how the wider loops affect things so negatively. In other words, I'm trying to figure out if I get a 2.5, is it that much different that it will it solve my problems.
    With the wide spacing I can't get the gun close enough to my centerline and the grip sticks out. The wider spacing also seems to counteract the wing a bit and not allow the gun to rotate as much.

Site Supporter
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I much prefer the WC 2.0 with the widely spaced DCC clips and a Modwing. I also use a foam wedge. I also prefer a G17 length holster regardless of gun length. 5'10", 178 LBS (about 10 of those are extra). That combo worked well for me when I carried a G19/TLR-7A with a 509T. Works even better now that I'm carrying a custom X-Macro chopped for 12rd XL mags.

User Tag List