Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AIWB - Wedge vs. Claw - I can't get the claw to work

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    DCC Monoblock...

Never had any issues with Nylon belts... Atlas for several years, Mastermind currently (3+ years).

FWIW... on the Mastermind I'm wearing the holster on the most flexible part of the belt, between the hook & the loop sides, and wearing the tail of the belt across the clips to conceal them... no issues with the Nylon or the hook & loop.

Can't speak to leather.
    That's great to hear. I appreciate the feedback.

more fiddling with holster this evening - put the other DCC clip on the slide side of the holster. Mounting it with a wider rubber washer negated any thinness it decreased compared to the Raven overloop. So I mounted against a thin o-ring and the clip is almost flush against the holster and its lower printing than the Raven which is nice.

Played also with the thicker claw - it helps slightly with the knuckle clearance but another issue came up. The fact that the clip is so close to the claw almost counter acts the extra "kick out" of the belt with the thicker claw installed. The clip keeps the belt tucked in pretty tight and unable to really bend away from the body to create the gap for the knuckle. I think the 2.5 design with the monoblock or clip further away from the wing claw might be a solution to this - but that is only in theory. Whenever I get one thing fixed, another things pops up.

A note on the DCC clips - they do not make this process fun. The little hooks at the bottom of the clips make getting the holster on and off a pain in the rear end. They are like fishing lures and almost enough of a pain that I'm beginning to think the juice is not worth the squeeze - they are that annoying to me.

@Cool Breeze

Watch this short video and try this method of donning the DCC clips. Works very well and should help you avoid frustration.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    How are you all getting your claw holsters to work right or are you just accepting a compromised grip and slower draw?
    When I decided to go AIWB I asked Tony what I should buy. He told me to get a 2.0 with PTD loops. IIRC the PTD allow more vertical adjustment than anything else.

I use a claw and a full wedge. The loop by the trigger guard is all the way up in the track, and the loop on the barrel side is down about 1/2". In 3D, my pistol is twisted inward by the claw, pushed out at the muzzle by the pad, and canted muzzle toward centerline. I use a very flexible 1 3/4" belt. The setup leaves plenty of vertical space between the front strap and top of the belt.

You have a 2.0, so you could try PTD struts/loops, or a mix of them plus what you have. Tony is also great about answering emails, and he's heard every holster saga there is. Shoot him a message and ask him what to do.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I use the JMCK standard AIWB holster. I’ve tried the 2.0 and 2.5 holsters which are top notch but the claw isn’t necessary for me.

1. OP are you carrying an extra mag? Believe it or not the mag carrier helps push the belt away from waist thus rotating grip of pistol inward.

2. When you say it isn’t working, is that due to printing? Because printing means nothing. If Tony made a holster for a M320 launcher I could carry it - print like hell - and still nobody would see it.

Human brains focus on people’s faces and hands. They do not “see” much else.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Cool Breeze

Watch this short video and try this method of donning the DCC clips. Works very well and should help you avoid frustration.

I'm laughing at myself because I would have never come up with this method on my own. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    When I decided to go AIWB I asked Tony what I should buy. He told me to get a 2.0 with PTD loops. IIRC the PTD allow more vertical adjustment than anything else.

I use a claw and a full wedge. The loop by the trigger guard is all the way up in the track, and the loop on the barrel side is down about 1/2". In 3D, my pistol is twisted inward by the claw, pushed out at the muzzle by the pad, and canted muzzle toward centerline. I use a very flexible 1 3/4" belt. The setup leaves plenty of vertical space between the front strap and top of the belt.

You have a 2.0, so you could try PTD struts/loops, or a mix of them plus what you have. Tony is also great about answering emails, and he's heard every holster saga there is. Shoot him a message and ask him what to do.
    The clips and mod wing are what he rec'd to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    I use the JMCK standard AIWB holster. I’ve tried the 2.0 and 2.5 holsters which are top notch but the claw isn’t necessary for me.

1. OP are you carrying an extra mag? Believe it or not the mag carrier helps push the belt away from waist thus rotating grip of pistol inward.

2. When you say it isn’t working, is that due to printing? Because printing means nothing. If Tony made a holster for a M320 launcher I could carry it - print like hell - and still nobody would see it.

Human brains focus on people’s faces and hands. They do not “see” much else.
    1. not carrying an extra mag - I honestly don't think I need one if I'm carrying a 17 or 19.

2. I can't get a solid grip on pistol during draw without banging knuckle on belt or wingclaw

The clips and mod wing are what he rec'd to start with.
    Try it without the wing.
    Modify the wing.
    Try a little cant by adjusting the clips to different heights.
    If you use a foam wedge, try more or less.
    Learn to live with it.
    Buy a different holster and start over.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

1. not carrying an extra mag - I honestly don't think I need one if I'm carrying a 17 or 19.

2. I can't get a solid grip on pistol during draw without banging knuckle on belt or wingclaw
    The mag carrier, in my experience, provides better balance and concealment for the pistol holster for reasons I explained above. My wife has found the same. Others on the forum have commented similarly.

User Tag List