Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Practical Competition Shooting League (2023)

Practical Competition Shooting League (2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Honestly that’s been the main reason I’ve stayed away from PCSL.

It’s a different programming from what I’m used to and it’s not necessarily based off what would actually happen so it winds up being a particular game specific method for me.

It would take a lot for me to switch. Regardless of leadership, I still really like the USPSA and IDPA products (and people).

I identify more with USPSA and IDPA than 3 gunners in general.
    Same. I shot 3Gun/Multigun fairly seriously for a couple years, but got sick of how much shotgun loading, and how long your tube is, affected the score. But I could have put up with that if it weren't for the TacBros playing loud music from boom boxes or trucks at each stage. One time it was so bad that I had to ask them to turn it off while I was shooting because I couldn't hear the RO. And... got a dirty look for my trouble.

Actually, I could have put up with the shotgun stupidity, and the TacBros. What really turned me off was time plus scoring with any 2 hits on paper. It encouraged bad shooting. Sure, rifle plates and knock-down steel require skill. But squirting bullets at a full size IPSC at 5yds was just too lame for me.

I'd like to try PCSL because of the 2-gun aspect, and hit factor scoring. The targets look good. The rules look good.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I'd like to try PCSL because of the 2-gun aspect, and hit factor scoring. The targets look good. The rules look good.
    I agree, a quick perusal of the PCSL rulebook suggests to me that Max L. did a pretty good job of establishing a ruleset. From a match officiating standpoint, having a written ruleset is paramount. Not having one leaves it way too open for issues and arguments that don’t do anything but generate bad feelings between competitors and staff. So I commend Max for taking the effort.

I’ve also heard his 2-gun matches in SGU are worth the trip.

I kind of like the K zone just because you could use it to manipulate round count on a stage. I think I'd still just be shooting 2 most of the time.

Not sure about-

"If falling steel no-shoot is impacted but does not fall, no penalty is assigned."

I don't see a lot of no-shoot steel anyway outside a few classifiers, but it seems like you'd have to calibrate no shoot steel which seems like a hassle.

Not sure I understand -
    "Falling steel and frangible no-shoots must fall or be broken by gunfire in order to score. If another target or prop knocks them over or breaks them rather than a projectile fired by a competitor, they will not earn any penalty."

I didn't see any range equipment failure rules, so do I get a score or not when the wind blows over a popper? I see I don't get penalized, am I just out 5 points?

I didn't see a required power factor anywhere, or a popper calibration. What if I show up to a match and my ammo just doesn't knock down steel?

It hadn't dawned on me about the "K-zone" concept, whereby you can neutralize the target (i.e. get 10 points) with one shot. Not being that familiar with the K-zone target, I decided to use the rulebook and sketch one out in my drawing tool to see how hard it would be to shoot. I appreciate this is normally all cardboard, and what I have is a brown blob on a white background, but it's just a mockup. Going to give this a try at my next range session.

Still looking for local options in my area (Central FL) for PCSL matches, but not actively. We are about a month away from closing on our new place in Ocala but after that I'll be seeing what options I have in driving distance.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-09-12 10-00-42.png
Views: 424
Size:  4.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

A buddy invited me last minute to do a PCSL - 1 gun (pistol) match this Thursday.

This will be my first time.

I’ve only done two USPSA matches and shot both from aiwb using a G17.5 w a 508T and surefire 300, using 21 rnd magazines.

Can I shoot this same rig in PCSL? I signed up for Practical Optic.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    A buddy invited me last minute to do a PCSL - 1 gun (pistol) match this Thursday.

This will be my first time.

I’ve only done two USPSA matches and shot both from aiwb using a G17.5 w a 508T and surefire 300, using 21 rnd magazines.

Can I shoot this same rig in PCSL? I signed up for Practical Optic.
    I’m curious about this as well. I plan to go back to USPSA and try out PCSL when I move back to the south, but I want to run my actual carry gear. Obviously USPSA is good to go but the PCSL rule book seems pretty vague on this issue. I might message Max on IG and ask him so I have clarification.

Rulebook:

https://www.pcsleague.us/

Edit: just realized this post was from January 🤦*♂️My bad. What did you find out?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I’m curious about this as well. I plan to go back to USPSA and try out PCSL when I move back to the south, but I want to run my actual carry gear. Obviously USPSA is good to go but the PCSL rule book seems pretty vague on this issue. I might message Max on IG and ask him so I have clarification.

Rulebook:

https://www.pcsleague.us/

Edit: just realized this post was from January 🤦*♂️My bad. What did you find out?
    I am 99% sure that setup is 100% legal. PCSL is supposed to be simpler and more open than USPSA

I will using the PCSL target in some of my matches this coming year. This Saturday as a matter of fact. I don't see a perf line at the neck line, so it appears to me anyway that the "A" zone extends up into the head outside of the "K" zone.

I will draw a line across the neck line to reduce the "A" zone. The area outside the "K" zone with be a "C" zone.

Sometimes I am referred to as an evil MD. Don't know where that comes from.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I am 99% sure that setup is 100% legal. PCSL is supposed to be simpler and more open than USPSA
    Yep, you’re definitely right. I messaged Max today on IG and he confirmed it.

User Tag List