Thread: Has anyone refreshed their strap checkering?

Has anyone refreshed their strap checkering?

My primary competition gun has seen a lot of use.

Compared it against a fresher one and the front / rear strap checkering is worn and not as grippy.

Has anyone refreshed worn checkering?

I had thoughts of maybe files but if the bases are intact but the points are worn, then I’m not sure that the same angle of file will help?

I had thoughts of using the very fine point Dremel attachment but might not be worth the effort.

I could use it for a Kadet kit where it’s not so necessary for recoil management.

Any tips, tricks or advice would be appreciated!

I did it with a file from Brownells on poorly executed checkering on a couple of newer guns. The checkering was dull with flat points. I filed in the grooves until the points developed enough. This was on a pair of Tanfo Stock 2s and the checkered portion of the grip is raised from the rest of the frame surface which makes this easier.

It's a miserable and time consuming experience. Probably why hand checkering cost so much.

For a comp gun it probably doesn't matter but my thought was that all I could do would be make it look ugly. So I just apply no slip stair tape.

I had Jim Milks cut out the front strap of a 1911, and weld in a checkered insert. That guy could weld up the crack of dawn

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    For a comp gun it probably doesn't matter but my thought was that all I could do would be make it look ugly. So I just apply no slip stair tape.
    This is what I'd do. I don't trust my skill enough to do it myself and I'm too cheap to send it out to have someone do it. I'd get some grip tape material and tape it up.

User Tag List