Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality CCW-Supporting Casual Pants

Quality CCW-Supporting Casual Pants

Mods, feel free to merge with [the old thread](https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Carry-Pants/)… I thought it was dead enough to warrant a new one. It also slanted more towards the "duty" or "tactical" side of things, and I'm looking for something a bit more concealed.

I only own a few pants, and they all need to be able to carry effectively.

Ideal features:

- casual styling. I prefer no cargo pockets or overt gussets
    - outdoor, robust material that can go from offices to the trail
    - CCW-useful belt loops
    - well stitched
    - supports 1" belt
    - no extra slack
    - double back loops preferred
    - fitted to the butt, healthy tension to support AIWB
    - taut material, not too much flex

I haven't found much. Currently on rotation:

Lululemon ABC in Utilitech
    - Good:
    - Nearly perfect, if a little expensive.
    - The Utilitech material has put up with rock clambering, lots of hikes and yard work, and has finally starting to wear through after a year or two. Impressed.
    - Pockets are logical.
    - Fit is flexible enough to be comfy, firm and fitted enough to suck the CCW in
    - I can hike and go to a nice event in the same pair.
    - Bad:
    - I wish the back had a double belt loop instead of a single.
    - Expensive

Origin Maine Factory Jeans
    - Good
    - Most robust stitching I've ever seen (I've never seen pockets made of denim instead of some lesser material)
    - High rise supports AIWB amazingly
    - American made, good company
    - Bad
    - stitching on pockets and belt loops is **so** thick that it can mess with certain holster placements

I had a badly fit pair of Mountain Khakis that fit the bill from a feature set perspective, just didn't fit right.

On deck to investigate:

- Kuhl
    - Mountain Khaki

Any of y'all have something that's working for y'all with the above features?

I feel like most decent outdoor oriented pants should work?

For me personally, I've had no issues with my Outdoor Research Ferrosi, Outdoor Research Voodoo, Outdoor Research Rum Wadi, Arc'teryx Creston, Patagonia Quandary, Patagonia Altvia, Patagonia Point Peak Trail, and Mountain Hardwear Chockstone Midweight Casual when paired with a The Wilderness Ti Instructor Belt (5 stitch, 1/2 inch). My preference is for softshell pants in general, as they tend to have more stretch and flexibility.

Under Armour golf pants are the best bang/buck I’ve come across.

The semi-new emphasis on golf style has really brought some good items that are sporty and durable enough for a day out and about but stylish enough to fit in outside of a dress code.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Amazon basics both shorts and pants have been good for what they are. Fit in well and support the gear I carry.

VERTX Delta Stretch 2.1 pants are the best-overall I've found.

Overpriced, but well designed, and good quality materials and construction; and no cargo pockets.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

[QUOTE=masternave;1502788]

Origin Maine Factory Jeans
    - Good
    - Most robust stitching I've ever seen (I've never seen pockets made of denim instead of some lesser material)
    - High rise supports AIWB amazingly
    - American made, good company
    - Bad
    - stitching on pockets and belt loops is **so** thick that it can mess with certain holster placements

Origin Factory jeans are, without a doubt, some of the nicest and most well-constructed jeans I've ever put on. However, we evidently need a standardized definition of what "boot cut" means. When Origin says their jeans are "boot cut", they mean their jeans are compatible with ankle-height work boots. When the rest of the free world sees "boot cut", we logically assume said jeans would be compatible with cowboy boots. Origin's jeans are NOT compatible with cowboy boots. The leg opening is too small and the jeans will "pile up" around your knees, if you try to force them over cowboy boots.

No experience with Mountain Khakis, other than I hear they shrink up over time. I personally wasn't at all impressed with Kuhl, as their sizing seemed wonky. When I tried their "Revolvr" pants, if they fit my legs, they were falling off me in the waist, and vice versa.

You might check out L.L. Bean. Their offerings are pretty "non-tactical" and decently priced.

Cheers!

Site Supporter
    Based on your stated goals, I have been a big fan of the 5.11 defender slim line. While retail (85) may be a bit high, then can often be had for less from the mothership as well as other retailers.

They have just enough stretch that I no longer size up for them in the waist to IWB/AIWB. I am up to 6 or seven pair. I have never paid more than 40 ish shipped.

They have replaced all of my cotton majority fabric “tactical pants” with exception of 1 pr of 5.11 OD green cargos and 1 of of OD green Dickie “Carhart” style work pants (both reserved for BSA activities.)

If you like Lulu, then I would take a look at the offerings of Prana.

On a whim, I might also go thru a nearby target/Walmart as wrangler is selling similar style mostly synthetic fabric hiking pants at sub 30.00 which might work for at least a proof of concept evaluation.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-18-2023 at 08:23 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

On a whim, I might also go thru a nearby target/Walmart as wrangler is selling similar style mostly synthetic fabric hiking pants at sub 30.00 which might work for at least a proof of concept evaluation.
    Like I mentioned in a similar thread, the Wranglers fit me as well as anything, look nice and have worn surprisingly well for the price I use them as work pants and they always end up stained/dirty before any stitching blows out. Also, while I’m sure whoever makes them is being underpaid at least they’re made in Bangladesh and not China.

I’m 5’11 and 165-170 so not sure how other sizes fit on people, but I like the cut.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I've got a couple pairs of Kühl Resistor Chinos that I quite like. Material feels thin and I've had problems with thin Kühl material failing quickly, but I think I have four months or so on these trousers with no failures. The khaki colored pair have stained lightly in a couple of spots, but so far it has only been light stains - and a regular wash doesn't take them out.

They fit pretty true-to-size, but are quite stretchy: I can buy my normal trouser size and they fit fine when it's just me - but they stretch to accommodate my P365XL in a PHLster Pro and a 17-round magazine in a JM high ride magazine pouch. The spacing on the front loops is quite wide, which works well for carrying AIWB.

I also have a pair of Triple Aught Design Agent Chinos. Also thin, but I've never had a problem with TAD stuff failing except after months and months and months of use.

I think TAD uses either vanity sizing or sizes for AIWB/IWB concealed carry, however: While my recent pairs of TAD trousers happily accommodate me, my best 9mm friend, and ~30 of its little friends, I am less happy with the fit without a gun in my pants.

Lastly, and maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I bought a couple pairs of Banana Republic Rapid Movement Chinos on my brother's recommendation. Thicker material. Very traditional chino look. Not exactly made from a modern outdoorsy material or features, though. But chinos were originally outdoor trousers, so... they ought to work if you'd rather wear, say, a pair of Nick's than a pair of Solomons.

Anyway, these also have enough stretch to go from fitting just me to accommodating me and gun & friends. Only real complaint is that the inseams are a little shorter than I'd prefer. Oh, and they're quite expensive at full price, but I was able to buy mine during a 40% off sale, which BR seems to have fairly often: At $60 a pair, I think they're worth it. $100 a pair seems pretty steep, to me. But unlike everyone else on this list, they do 35 waists.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Prana Brion pants work well for me. Definitely a lighter weight fabric but they hold up well. They are completely normal in an office setting.

User Tag List