Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4" Shield Plus accolades, once again

4" Shield Plus accolades, once again

I know I have said it many, many times on this forum again. But, if anyone is thinking about buying a new gun - go get the 4" Performance Center Shield Plus in 9mm. You don't have to buy the optic version (that comes with that CT optic) or even the ported version. Just buy the normal, PC version of the Shield Plus with the 4" barrel.

I can't tell you how much I love this gun. I've had it about 2 years now. The sights are amazing, and the trigger is just awesome. The Performance Center does something a little different over the regular Shield Plus. The trigger breaks between 3.25 pounds and 3.5 pounds. Best factory trigger I've ever tried...

I shot this gun again this morning. It is my favorite gun I own. And, this may sound crazy.... But in 30 years time, I have owned 3 digits worth of guns (some very expensive). I was always "chasing the perfect" gun... Always hoping to find one I'd shoot just a little better.... That search just kept going on and on... I knew I'd never find "the" gun, but I kept looking

Everyone has their personal preferences, and we may all end up liking different things at the end of the day.... But, I will say that this Perf Center 4" Shield Plus is THE gun I've been chasing all that time. Yes, I did just say that. I know, a rather bold statement, but it is true.

I keep wishing S&W would come out with a 5" version of the Shield Plus. That would be really awesome...

@Shipwreck

Awesome. Do you have any other Shields or just this one?

I have a basic Gen1 I got when S&W was blowing them out to introduce the 2.0. Super deal and value, but price aside, it’s a super carry gun. Only modification I put on it is night sights.

Been a fan of the Shield and carried one since they came out. Went from a standard 40SW, to a 9mm, then M2.0 9 and now a Shield Plus 9. Picked up a Shield 45 M2.0 along the way as well. I have never tried the 4 inch version, but would like to one day. I switched my carry to a P365XL about a year ago and have been very happy at the trigger reach seems a little better for me than the Shield, but I still really like the Shield and they have never given me issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    @Shipwreck

Awesome. Do you have any other Shields or just this one?

I have a basic Gen1 I got when S&W was blowing them out to introduce the 2.0. Super deal and value, but price aside, it’s a super carry gun. Only modification I put on it is night sights.

I have a few.

I have owned three of the version 1 (original) Shields over the years. And, I bought a 4" Performance Center Shield 2.0 right after the Plus came out.

But, I always thought the grip on the original Shield was a little TOO thin.

I then broke down and bought the Performance Center 3.1" Shield Plus. That little extra thickness solved my problem with the Shield grip. So, I also bought the 4" version. I then sold my original Shields, because I knew they would be sitting in the back of the safe forever.

And, I later bought a 3rd Shield Plus... This time, not a Performance Center version, but a regular one with factory night sights. I love the triggers they use...

@Shipwreck

Neat. How is the recoil on the 4 inch compared to a 3.1 of similar grip? What advantages do you see from the longer barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    @Shipwreck

Neat. How is the recoil on the 4 inch compared to a 3.1 of similar grip? What advantages do you see from the longer barrel?
    Recoil is lower on the 4" compared to the 3". I will say. however - the 3" Shield and Shield Plus have the lowest recoil of these small 9mms I have felt. They shoot like a much larger gun. Then, on top of that, the 4" version IS a larger gun.

The longer barrel does give a reduction in recoil, and a longer sight radius. And, for some reason, as I stated above - the gun is just damn accurate. I honestly can shoot it about as well as my Glock 34 Combat Master. I have been shocked at how well it shoots.

I see others online who claim they don't like it. But, it just works for me. All I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Recoil is lower on the 4" compared to the 3". I will say. however - the 3" Shield and Shield Plus have the lowest recoil of these small 9mms I have felt. They shoot like a much larger gun. Then, on top of that, the 4" version IS a larger gun.

The longer barrel does give a reduction in recoil, and a longer sight radius. And, for some reason, as I stated above - the gun is just damn accurate. I honestly can shoot it about as well as my Glock 34 Combat Master. I have been shocked at how well it shoots.

I see others online who claim they don't like it. But, it just works for me. All I can say.
    Agreed, I started w/ a gen 1 in 2015, had Mark Housel mill it for a DP but much prefer my EDC 4" Plus bought in '21 & had it cut for a Holo 507KName:  IMG_1629.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  29.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 08-14-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post

My first impression of the basic 1.0 3 inch was it shoots like a larger gun. Still think so.

I was back and forth with a 4in or 3.1in shield plus a few weeks ago. I decided on the optic ready 3.1 version to save a little monies and it will fit better in my fanny pack. I haven't shot it yet but I am looking forward to it. I'm waiting on my dark star gear holster to arrive later this week then it's off to the range

I have heard several YouTubers rave about the triggers on these. Are they that much different than the regular 2.0’s? I know the newer models come with that flat faced trigger that looks similar. Any comparisons between the newer M&P 2.5’s (the updated trigger, slide serrations, etc.) and the Shield Plus PC trigger?

User Tag List