Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4" Shield Plus accolades, once again

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    What I think would just be awesome sauce would be the 4" gun with a grip frame that accepts the larger magazines WITHOUT the sleeve. Obviously an expensive mold for a niche product, but I am sure there just has to be dozens of people like me wanting that!!!
    This.

Basically a direct P365XL equivalent.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Basically a direct P365XL equivalent.
    For M&P fan boys, like us!

I actually won a 365 in a charity raffle, and I was tempted by it. The one I got was a package that came with a couple of the larger magazines, and I had a plan to get the Wilson grip frame and convert the floor plates on the magazines. Add in a couple of JMCK items and it was going to be around $300-$400, instead I sold the gun for (I think?) $600.

Well, I have rented a 365 before, and I prefer the Shield Plus over the Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Well, I have rented a 365 before, and I prefer the Shield Plus over the Sig
    Yeah, I thought it was fine, but would have had (since I could sell it) at least $800 wrapped up, and I didn't think it was all that.

I think the M&P is a great value.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-15-2023 at 09:09 PM.

I wish Smith would just fix the optic cut on the 9mm guns. Also wish they would sell non-performance center 4" guns with optic cuts. I personally don't like "good triggers" on my serious guns.

The original 1.0 shield that I used to own shot noticeably softer than the p365xl for me. My daughter and I both thought it was a notable difference. I stupidly sold that gun because I wanted a Shield Plus with the optic cut. Then I found out the optic cut was not compatible with good optics, so I held off on buying one. It's been quite a few years now. I'm still waiting.

If Smith would just fix the cut, offer a few more variations, and maybe add a rail, I could probably reduce my handgun needs down to three Shield Plus pistols. One 3.1" carry gun, one 4" practice gun, and one 4" house gun with a light mounted. That would probably be all I would ever need for handguns.

Gun stores around me carry way more Equalizers than Shields these days. At least those have a decent optic cut, but I don't like the grip angle on the Equalizer very well. The Shield has a more Glock-like grip angle. The Equalizer seems to point lower to me, more like a Sig. This is strange because they use the same magazine.

I may give up and just buy some P365 varient guns with Wilson grips if Smith doesn't fix the Plus optic cuts this year.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I personally don't like "good triggers" on my serious guns.
    I just decided to experiment with the ten-pound Massachusetts trigger. I mainly did this based on the desire just have ten round magazines, but also wonder about the reality of a heavier trigger being better for the use case I see this one.

I've been wanting a 4'' Shield Plus since they came out but I just haven't found the right "deal" yet.

I carried a Shield 1.0 for years but wanted more capacity. When the 15 round magazines came out for the G48 I decided to try out that set up and I've been very happy with it. If the Shield Plus would have been available first I would have gone that route instead.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I wish Smith would just fix the optic cut on the 9mm guns. Also wish they would sell non-performance center 4" guns with optic cuts. I personally don't like "good triggers" on my serious guns.

The original 1.0 shield that I used to own shot noticeably softer than the p365xl for me. My daughter and I both thought it was a notable difference. I stupidly sold that gun because I wanted a Shield Plus with the optic cut. Then I found out the optic cut was not compatible with good optics, so I held off on buying one. It's been quite a few years now. I'm still waiting.

If Smith would just fix the cut, offer a few more variations, and maybe add a rail, I could probably reduce my handgun needs down to three Shield Plus pistols. One 3.1" carry gun, one 4" practice gun, and one 4" house gun with a light mounted. That would probably be all I would ever need for handguns.

Gun stores around me carry way more Equalizers than Shields these days. At least those have a decent optic cut, but I don't like the grip angle on the Equalizer very well. The Shield has a more Glock-like grip angle. The Equalizer seems to point lower to me, more like a Sig. This is strange because they use the same magazine.

I may give up and just buy some P365 varient guns with Wilson grips if Smith doesn't fix the Plus optic cuts this year.
    I hear your frustration with the optic cut. However, there's a fairly cheap fix with the C&H Shield Plus plate that allows Holosun 407k/507K to mount with just one set of screws. It's even thin enough and sets the optic low enough that the factory sights work as BUIS. https://chpws.com/product/sw-mp-shie...sun-407k-507k/
    Lacking Gravitas

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTom View Post
    I hear your frustration with the optic cut. However, there's a fairly cheap fix with the C&H Shield Plus plate that allows Holosun 407k/507K to mount with just one set of screws. It's even thin enough and sets the optic low enough that the factory sights work as BUIS. https://chpws.com/product/sw-mp-shie...sun-407k-507k/
    From what I can tell, that C&H plate doesn't replicate the recoil lugs going into the red dot. It's basically a spacer that raises the red dot base above the rear posts. Probably doesn't matter with "k" size dots.

There's also a vendor on Amazon called DPP Titanium that sells an adapter plate with recoil lugs in aluminum ($25) or titanium($36). Eligible for 30-day returns.

I've got analysis paralysis regarding red dots on my Shield Pluses since already having red dots on my P365s.

I had two Shield Plus's but ended up dumping them. One was the 4 inch Performance Center Model and the other was the standard model. Thy were both reliable but my Performance Center's 4" inch model was just not very accurate while my standard model's accuracy was fine shooting the same range and self defense JHP ammo. The room in the trigger guards on these pistols is really small which I didn't care for and the trigger on my 4" Performance Center model was just too light for me for a self defense pistol, breaking around 3-3.25 lbs. Also, I didn't care for the 13rd mags, as I could only get 12 rds in mine after they were broken in using a loading tool. In the end, while the Shield Plus pistols are not bad pistols they are just not for me.

User Tag List