Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Berettas have "slow barrels"

Berettas have "slow barrels"

We know that Beretta pistols have somewhat "slower" barrels compared to other pistols. The reason for this seems to be the larger/wider internal dimensions of the pipe. Has anyone measured the muzzle velocities of other popular pistols such as the G17, G19, CZ-75, P226 and so on, compared to the Beretta 92FS? Does anyone have the measurement results? Also, does the Beretta M9A3 or M9A4 have a higher muzzle velocity since it has a longer barrel?
    GLOCK 17 - My choice for defensive handgun

I’ve never heard this before but I’m frequently not at the big kid’s table.

Is the assertion it’s a good deal of MV loss? Let’s make up a number and say… 50+ FPS?

I’m not sure it matters, either. My personal Beretta-fangirling aside, they are still widely seen as great shooters; even by those without an affinity for TDA.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Here is a thread I started about five years ago comparing velocities of 9x19 124-grain training ammo. Most of it was shot with my CZ-75B, but as I added PX4s and P99Cs I re-did a couple of rounds. I no longer have a B92 or I would've used it.

I do remember that my B92 needed .357 cast bullets to run without leading and that this was common with other B92s. My PX4s are happy with .356 bullets, so there may be an intentional difference in specs due to the B92's use as a military pistol.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    I actually had the same experience with a 4.7" 92X full size chronoing the same as a G19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    We know that Beretta pistols have somewhat "slower" barrels compared to other pistols. The reason for this seems to be the larger/wider internal dimensions of the pipe. Has anyone measured the muzzle velocities of other popular pistols such as the G17, G19, CZ-75, P226 and so on, compared to the Beretta 92FS? Does anyone have the measurement results? Also, does the Beretta M9A3 or M9A4 have a higher muzzle velocity since it has a longer barrel?
    What are you talking about?

Standard Beretta 9MM twist rate is 1 in 250MM. EXACTLY the same as a G17/G19.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Beretta bore and groove DIAMETER tends to run large.
    SAAMI nominal groove diameter is .355" but with a plus only tolerance of .004" so anything up to .359" is acceptable and I have read of Berettas crowding that.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post

Just the facts...

I'm sure a friend and did some chrono work before we switched to Berettas for competition. If there was a difference it wasn't significant enough to remember.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post

He’s talking some common reloaded nonsense about how some guns have a slower MV with the same load because their barrels are “slower”

Makes me sad seeing slow barrels….
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Has anyone tried speaking to the machine-spirit… in Italian?

Name:  IMG_4483.jpeg
Views: 681
Size:  80.7 KB

Since this is the technical side of the house- I did some Google-Fu and the best I can take away is that this issue is about as relevant as Glocks shooting left; and funny it didn’t seem to happen with factory loads.. Observed? Kind of. Meaningful? Not really.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 08-14-2023 at 12:28 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List