Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus .22s recent experiences

Taurus .22s recent experiences

Thanks to the enablers of .22 snubs, you know who you are🙂 I have acquired a “few.”

I want to start with my recent Tauri acquisitions. The first was a 3” .22 WMR. Excited, took it to the range and could not get through a cylinder without several misfires. The firing pin looked like it was protruding minimally from the frame. It was accurate when it did ignite. Back it went. Customer service is much improved. They now have an online repair status feature where you can check and see wherein the que your pistol is. Per Fed Ex is due to arrive back tomorrow, can’t wait to read the repair invoice.

Well stupid is as stupid does, I saw a local .22LR UL 2” so I went for it. It fires every time! However, it keyholes intermittently, the ejector actuation is gritty and binds, and the fired cases stick badly like chambers are out of spec. This too will go back this week.

Lastly a .22 WMR UL 2” picked up today. Can / can’t wait to shoot it as I just have very low expectations. The firing pin barely protrudes similar to my 3” problem. I will give updates following some range time.

What I like: Taurus CS is much better and more timely, status tool is nice, There are “steps like “1,2,3,4 where you can keep track, they don’t update you at each step, but at least it makes you think things are moving forward.

I love the adjustable rear sight and replaceable pinned front! I think the front is plastic? I am gona try and do my own fiber optic mod soon. I also like the Capacity of the Tauri compared with others.

I have had problems with my LCR shooting left with a wobbly cylinder that came back perfect! My first 43c was a POS, had to hit ejector with mallet to eject empties everytime! My latest works great and is accurate.

Just my experiences, I remain optimistic.

Dave

Site Supporter
    As much as I enjoy a 22 snub (own an LCR and 43c), the only Taurus 22s I own are the Tx22 and Tx22 comp, both of which have been very reliable and work well suppressed. I have been on the lookout for the 3" 22 mag and the 2" 22 LR (both on the UL frame). I think the 8 round capacity of the 22 mag makes it much more appealing than even the 7 shot smith, and certainly the 6 shot ruger. If carried appendix (and not as a pocket gun), I think the 3" barrel makes the 22 mag an even more capable caliber compared to the 2" and to a lesser extend the 22 LR as well.

I also agree the "new Taurus" inspires much more confidence. I bought the 9mm snub for practice and the excellent Dark Star holster right from the taurus shop (with 20% off as well!). My brother has already bought 3 of the 856s, and I have several friends who are following suit. I really like where they are going as a company, especially with their revolvers, and plan on purchasing more in the future. While I still like the 43c as a pocket gun due to the small size and light weight, the Taurus guns are excellent when carried appendix, and the extra 1-2 rounds compared to the LCR or Smith equivalent is a nice bonus.

I'm intrigued by the 992 Tracker.

@jetfire, are the bore dimensions on these optimized for .22 Mag like Ruger convertibles? Or at least like we've always been told regarding the Ruger convertible bores...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I'm intrigued by the 992 Tracker.

@jetfire, are the bore dimensions on these optimized for .22 Mag like Ruger convertibles? Or at least like we've always been told regarding the Ruger convertible bores...
    I have a 992 Tracker, and I can't tell you much about optimized bore diameters but I can tell you that it will park an entire cylinder of Federal 22 Magnum in the black at 25 yards on a B8. However, it is also quite sensitive to fouling, so you have to scrub the cylinder face after like 200 rounds of 22 Mag.

I've got the 22 LR cylinder in mine right now and I plan on taking it to Steel Challenge a bunch when I get done with this TDY and IDPA season.

I have a 3" 942 22lr en route that I just bought off an auction site. I'm very much hoping to shoot the snot out of this gun, and we'll see how this goes!

Steve, let us know how that goes! My 3” .22 WMR just got back, haven’t had a chance to see if repair worked. On the invoice they stated “ replaced firing pin amd firing pin spring, and apparently they test fired 8 rounds of cci.

Meanwhile, my new 2” WMR gets to go back for failure to ignite on 2-3 rounds per cylinder despite different ammo, and really difficult ejection, as in have to strike the ejector gently with a small malllet.

I am also going to send my 2” .22LR back for key holing, gritty ejector rod, and binding empties.

Great platform, just shitty execution. You would think they would make sure before they leave the factory. Seems like a stupid business model to send three out and then get to repair those three. Crazy.

To be honest, I am doubtful the “repaired” mag will work as the firing pin is just barely proud of the breech face on examination, but we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I've got the 22 LR cylinder in mine right now and I plan on taking it to Steel Challenge a bunch when I get done with this TDY and IDPA season.
    Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the reports on the LR cylinder.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Well the .22 WMR 3” is back from repair with note that firing pin and firing pin spring was replaced. So far so good.

The little .22 LR is working ok for now. It feels like the little spring in ejector rod is bent and “ crunchy” or gritty, but is intermittent. I am gonna look when I give it a good cleaning.

The adjustable sights really make these little guns.

Brief update on my Tauri. So I returned the .22 LR UL snub and the .22 Mag snub. Got a response today: “So, we were unable to repair both guns, the frames were out of spec. These will be destroyed, and we will send two new replacement guns.” They said 6-8 weeks. So, I bought 3, sent 3 back. Just Wow!

I wonder if Cody who came over to Taurus from Walther, who is now going back to Walther, just gave up out of frustration?

I don't know why people keep buying these. The k frame size guns usually fire reliably but the parts still wear quickly. The tracker size guns are hit and miss as far as reliably firing. The small frame guns =misfiring and the 22 revolvers do frequently keyhole. The prices are Satan's I temptation I guess. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate though predictable results.

User Tag List