Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news… Olympic sport

Breaking news… Olympic sport

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyfry...al-dreams/amp/

Apparently breakdancing is now an Olympic sport…

I’m not sure how I feel about that. But times change and it does take a lot of athleticism and practice.

What is this, the ‘80s? Didn’t know break “dancing” was a thing any more.

What was old, is now new again.

Site Supporter
    I caught the end of 8-Mile yesterday... Maybe they need to add "Rap Battle" too...??
    That would be interesting due to the language issues...

Might be fun to learn how to curse at your opponents mother in every language.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    What is this, the ‘80s? Didn’t know break “dancing” was a thing any more.
    I heard... it's some kind of ritual...

no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    I remember when the popularity of break dancing was that gangs would now meet to have dance offs instead of shoot outs. Similarly with rap performances. How did that work out? The NY Times just had a big report on the increasing presence of switches and fully auto Glocks in the gang world.

For awhile, weren't they going to get rid of classic wrestling?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Speaking only for myself,

I don't watch much of the Olympics anymore as it has strayed too far from what it once was, and most the events hold little interest. The Olympics have long been about races and combat sports, before political correctness infected everything. I understand that equestrian events such as chariot races are not exactly something super popular these days, but "break dancing"? GMAFB. They have all but eliminated anything to do with anything martial skills. There are hardly any shooting sports involved. As far as I am concerned, I would rather see a true IPSC event with nations represented, instead of trampoline. Yes, trampoline is an event.

Boxing, running events, wrestling, archery, etc, I can support. Badminton seems a bit on the silly side to me.

Glad they still have the biathlon event, as that seems like a great event, not to mention quite at test at the skill level the athletes compete at.

They lost me at curling & skateboarding.

Site Supporter
    Skateboarding, yes. Teenage crap, same with it's skiing equivalents. Curling no. Living near the board, it's a respectable but arcane sport.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Hey, I kind of like curling.

I think the previous low point was synchronized swimming, now "artistic swimming", originally a women's event but now with mixed doubles. Skateboarding, break dancing, ugh.

Gymnastics with props like balls and ribbons are a loss, too.

The Panhellenic Games went on every year, the Olympics just being the one that was remembered and resumed. Kind of like modern summer and Winter Olympics.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List