Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news… Olympic sport

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Speaking only for myself,

I don't watch much of the Olympics anymore as it has strayed too far from what it once was, and most the events hold little interest. The Olympics have long been about races and combat sports, before political correctness infected everything. I understand that equestrian events such as chariot races are not exactly something super popular these days, but "break dancing"? GMAFB. They have all but eliminated anything to do with anything martial skills. There are hardly any shooting sports involved. As far as I am concerned, I would rather see a true IPSC event with nations represented, instead of trampoline. Yes, trampoline is an event.

Boxing, running events, wrestling, archery, etc, I can support. Badminton seems a bit on the silly side to me.

Glad they still have the biathlon event, as that seems like a great event, not to mention quite at test at the skill level the athletes compete at.
    Are you implying that break dancing isn’t a combat sport ? :-)

Last edited by HCM; 08-13-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    If dressage and a dozen different swimming variations can be Olympic sports, then this definitely qualifies.

"Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    They lost me at curling & skateboarding.
    Curling is better when you play any action movies theme song as the sound track. "The Rock" works especially well.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Speaking only for myself,

I don't watch much of the Olympics anymore as it has strayed too far from what it once was, and most the events hold little interest. The Olympics have long been about races and combat sports, before political correctness infected everything. I understand that equestrian events such as chariot races are not exactly something super popular these days, but "break dancing"? GMAFB. They have all but eliminated anything to do with anything martial skills. There are hardly any shooting sports involved. As far as I am concerned, I would rather see a true IPSC event with nations represented, instead of trampoline. Yes, trampoline is an event.

Boxing, running events, wrestling, archery, etc, I can support. Badminton seems a bit on the silly side to me.

Glad they still have the biathlon event, as that seems like a great event, not to mention quite at test at the skill level the athletes compete at.

YES !!!

The Olympics was all about training skills that made a man better suited for war defending his people.

The further it strays the less interest I have.

Site Supporter
    I skip almost anything decided by a panel of judges rather than a clock or scoreboard. Swimming, yes. Diving, no, for example.

I admit to enjoying gymnastics, however. Some of the stuff those guys and gals do is amazing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I skip almost anything decided by a panel of judges rather than a clock or scoreboard. Swimming, yes. Diving, no, for example.

I admit to enjoying gymnastics, however. Some of the stuff those guys and gals do is amazing.
    Olympic gymnastics is basically watching a bunch of superhumans. That can be said for almost any olympic sport, but while I can kind of imagine what its like to row or run really fast, or lift really heavy things, I can't really wrap my head around doing the stuff the gymnasts do.

Site Supporter
    If we believe in 'orginalism' then : https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/6871

While some event events might benefit from this in terms of viewership, some might not. Whether it would aid break dancing is the eye of the beholder.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    YES !!!

The Olympics was all about training skills that made a man better suited for war defending his people.

Given the amount of time troops spend cleaning the barracks with mops, and the amount of time sailors spend sweeping the ship, Curling is probably the most Olympic sport of them all, then!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    YES !!!

Well, when you’re constantly fighting your neighbors so they don’t wipe out your village and sell any the survivors into slavery that makes a lot of sense. But, doesn’t every generation that goes and fights say they’re doing it so the next generation won’t have to?

On the other hand while I’m not interested in many of the events, I think it’s pretty cool that we live in a time and place where people can do things like take skateboard riding to the limits of human performance. People talk about how humans are slower and weaker than all the other animals, but there’s not a known animal in the Universe beside man that’s going to build a skateboard and then ride one at a high level of proficiency. I think it’s kind of cool to celebrate humans doing weird human shit at high levels of proficiency even if what they’re doing might not be my jam.

Also, the Greeks were way into slavery and man-boy love and nobody is bitching about us taking that part of Ancient Greek culture out of the Olympics.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Well, when you’re constantly fighting your neighbors so they don’t wipe out your village and sell any the survivors into slavery that makes a lot of sense. But, doesn’t every generation that goes and fights say they’re doing it so the next generation won’t have to?

On the other hand while I’m not interested in many of the events, I think it’s pretty cool that we live in a time and place where people can do things like take skateboard riding to the limits of human performance. People talk about how humans are slower and weaker than all the other animals, but there’s not a known animal in the Universe beside man that’s going to build a skateboard and then ride one at a high level of proficiency. I think it’s kind of cool to celebrate humans doing weird human shit at high levels of proficiency even if what they’re doing might not be my jam.

Also, the Greeks were way into slavery and man-boy love and nobody is bitching about us taking that part of Ancient Greek culture out of the Olympics.
    The athletes also competed naked, anybody chomping at the bit to see naked shot put?

User Tag List