Thread: Canadian Knife Laws

Canadian Knife Laws

The family is taking a trip to Mont Tremblant, Quebec in October. We plan to do quite a bit of day hiking so I am working on loadout planning. Most of my outdoor Canadian experience has been in Alberta and since we were flying in (and I generally don’t check luggage) so I have gone sans knife.

We are driving this time so I would like to have a fixed blade just in case.

Anyone have any insight to Canadian knife laws in regards to fixed blades and hiking? My google fu is weak and it seems that the laws are a bit arbitrary/vague so I am hoping some of our Canadian members can provide some insight.

Hey Coal Train,
    Found these articles relevant to your question.

https://cutsandcarves.com/bring-a-kn...Into%20Canada?

https://knifepulse.com/illegal-knive...20clear.%20The

Basically let them know you are hiking/traveling outdoors when you cross the border.
    Don't mention self defense. They seem to be interested in your intent more than anything else.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Site Supporter
    Driving you should be ok. I would probably take my Amtac NorthmanX with its fero rod sheath ( much more outdoors oriented than my Rat). I live 20min from the CA border and we go over there fairly often. I have a Spyderco Native 5 LW I always carry and haven't had it confiscated yet. That's specifically my go to CA folder, as I'm not risking having a SnG confiscated.

Site Supporter
    Driving you should be ok. I would probably take my Amtac NorthmanX with its fero rod sheath ( much more outdoors oriented than my Rat). I live 20min from the CA border and we go over there fairly often. I have a Spyderco Native 5 LW I always carry and haven't had it confiscated yet. That's specifically my go to CA folder, as I'm not risking having a SnG confiscated.

If you have a folder with you I recommend tightening the pivot pin so it cant be flipped open.
    The border services here are notorious for confiscating loose knives as “gravity knives”.
    Once you get here you can loosen it up as the police dont have such creative interpretations of the law.
    There are no length restrictions in Canada. I regularly carry a 4” folder or a 4.5” double edged boot knife. Many of my firefighting staff carry large fixed blades but we do live and work in the middle of the forest. I wouldnt carry a large fixed blade in town, I have heard of them being confiscated by urban police, never with any charges attached though. Unless your literally a criminal, who usually have knife prohibitions attached to their release.

User Tag List