Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Gen EoTech Carbine Optic

The OGL's price (on their website) getting bumped to $3k doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    No, I don't, because they keep delaying release of *some* reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    The OGL's price (on their website) getting bumped to $3k doesn't help either.
    What do either of those issues have to do with the performance and reliability of EOTech's products? Lord knows if we were going to go by delays, none of us would ever trust SureFire. And don't get me wrong, I think the price bumps are ridiculous (1.3k USD to 3k USD is fucking dumb, why would you even talk about the 1.3k USD to begin with?). But neither of those issues have any direct impact on how well the OGL will actually perform, let alone how you make the jump to how it might affect EOTech as a company as a whole, given that I've not heard about any other systemic issues with the rest of EOTech's product line-up. AFAIK, their Vudu line seems to be doing well, as have their new magnifiers, and the HWSes themselves seemed to have resolved most of the old issues (albeit this was done under L-3, IIRC).

Now, if you have some insider information on the issues with the OGL, then feel free to spill the beans. That being said, I would still disagree with generalizing the issues that one product line is having into the rest of the line-up if the majority of the products are still doing just fine.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-18-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What do either of those issues have to do with the performance and reliability of EOTech's products? Lord knows if we were going to go by delays, none of us would ever trust SureFire. And don't get me wrong, I think the price bumps are ridiculous (1.3k USD to 3k USD is fucking dumb, why would you even talk about the 1.3k USD to begin with?). But neither of those issues have any direct impact on how well the OGL will actually perform, let alone how you make the jump to how it might affect EOTech as a company as a whole, given that I've not heard about any other systemic issues with the rest of EOTech's product line-up. AFAIK, their Vudu line seems to be doing well, as have their new magnifiers, and the HWSes themselves seemed to have resolved most of the old issues (albeit this was done under L-3, IIRC).

Now, if you have some insider information on the issues with the OGL, then feel free to spill the beans. That being said, I would still disagree with generalizing the issues that one product line is having into the rest of the line-up if the majority of the products are still doing just fine.
    Aside from their tube optics, it just seems like EOtech has issues making anything work right, or on time.

I became an Eotech customer in around 2013. My EXPS3-0 delaminated, sitting in the safe, in about 2 years. I had loaned it to a friend who didn't have an optic and that's what he did with it. Set it in the safe, and gave it back to me delaminated (he didn't know). Eotech fixed it, and I sold it and bought an Aimpoint.

Then we had the thermal drift issues and the lying.

Then, during all that, around 2015-16? or so, the G45 magnifier was on the table... Articles in magazines, everything for 2015ish-2018ish, with no product in sight. Almost half a decade later around 2021?, they did turn out a good product. Half. A. Decade. Later.

Now we have the OGL...a $1299 laser that is shipping to LE customers now... that has turned into a $2199 laser that is a bag of dicks that Eotech is having to re-design or fix or whatever because every IG fanboi they sent one to broke it in short order.

So yes, color me unenthused about this "New and exciting carbine optic". Their track record is abysmal.

***OH, IM SORRY...It seems in the last WEEK they bumped the price of the thing to $2999. Probably to cover their need to redesign the guts.***

**This post is my opinion, and it is speculative based on what I have seen, read, experienced.

It's a real shame because the men and women I've dealt with that work at Eotech are some really nice people, and I want to see American companies do well.

Aside from their tube optics, it just seems like EOtech has issues making anything work right, or on time.

I became an Eotech customer in around 2013. My EXPS3-0 delaminated, sitting in the safe, in about 2 years. I had loaned it to a friend who didn't have an optic and that's what he did with it. Set it in the safe, and gave it back to me delaminated (he didn't know). Eotech fixed it, and I sold it and bought an Aimpoint.

Then we had the thermal drift issues and the lying.
    All of that was under L-3 management, though. L-3 acquired EOTech in 2005, and it was spun off again in 2020 (technically, EOTech was acquired by American Holoptics, but still). The issues with EOTech weren't necessarily due to L-3, AFAIK there were issues that L-3 wasn't aware of until after the acquisition, but I wouldn't extrapolate behavior from over a decade ago under different management to today's company. I've also not heard of any systemic issues with EOTechs in recent years, since the whole debacle.

Then, during all that, around 2015-16? or so, the G45 magnifier was on the table... Articles in magazines, everything for 2015ish-2018ish, with no product in sight. Almost half a decade later around 2021?, they did turn out a good product. Half. A. Decade. Later.
    I'm not sure I remember this at all. AFAIK, the G43 and G45 were announced in 2020, with a product release in 2021. Do you have any links to such articles? The Aimpoint 6× came out in 2016, and I distinctly remember that people were disappointed that there were no other modern quality options beyond 3× besides the Aimpoint, which had nice enough glass but dog shit FOV.

Now we have the OGL...a $1299 laser that is shipping to LE customers now... that has turned into a $2199 laser that is a bag of dicks that Eotech is having to re-design or fix or whatever because every IG fanboi they sent one to broke it in short order.
    I haven't heard of them really sending them out to influencers for T&E (the ones I have heard in passing seem to be of unknown provenance, not direct from EOTech, possibly broken units to begin with), but a close friend of mine that was able to get his hands on one indirectly from another friend that was the T&Eer (just to coonfinger, my friend wasn't able to do much with it before he had to give it back to the T&E guy) hasn't been made aware of any issues from the T&Eing friend. Beyond that, I would strongly hesitate to put much stock in the rumors, since they're all so vague and hard to attribute (AFAIK).

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    All of that was under L-3 management, though. L-3 acquired EOTech in 2005, and it was spun off again in 2020 (technically, EOTech was acquired by American Holoptics, but still). The issues with EOTech weren't necessarily due to L-3, AFAIK there were issues that L-3 wasn't aware of until after the acquisition, but I wouldn't extrapolate behavior from over a decade ago under different management to today's company. I've also not heard of any systemic issues with EOTechs in recent years, since the whole debacle.

I'm not sure I remember this at all. AFAIK, the G43 and G45 were announced in 2020, with a product release in 2021. Do you have any links to such articles? The Aimpoint 6× came out in 2016, and I distinctly remember that people were disappointed that there were no other modern quality options beyond 3× besides the Aimpoint, which had nice enough glass but dog shit FOV.

I haven't heard of them really sending them out to influencers for T&E (the ones I have heard in passing seem to be of unknown provenance, not direct from EOTech, possibly broken units to begin with), but a close friend of mine that was able to get his hands on one indirectly from another friend that was the T&Eer (just to coonfinger, my friend wasn't able to do much with it before he had to give it back to the T&E guy) hasn't been made aware of any issues from the T&Eing friend. Beyond that, I would strongly hesitate to put much stock in the rumors, since they're all so vague and hard to attribute (AFAIK).
    This is me, asking Eotech via Facebook about the G45 in 2016, as it had been a while and still no G45. If you want the earliest article I have in my possession, it was a GunsAndAmmo magazine, "Display until 5/25/2015" and there is an entire column about the G45 STS in it. I have it weirdly on hand because that is the same issue in which they interviewed my friend Jim in about the MOD 2. I bought 2 of the magazines and kept them aside.
    Name:  eotech.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  58.6 KB

Lucas Botkin got one (Broken)
    HRF Concepts messed with the OGL (Lots of issues). One of the few that went public about it, IIRC.

I don't have an exhaustive list.

As to where they got them...I don't care. They were broken during use, and they left the factory not as prototypes, so who cares if they were retail purchased, snuck out the back door, or what.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 08-18-2023 at 10:49 AM.

This is me, asking Eotech via Facebook about the G45 in 2016, as it had been a while and still no G45. If you want the earliest article I have in my possession, it was a GunsAndAmmo magazine, "Display until 5/25/2015" and there is an entire column about the G45 STS in it. I have it weirdly on hand because that is the same issue in which they interviewed my friend Jim in about the MOD 2. I bought 2 of the magazines and kept them aside.
    Name:  eotech.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  58.6 KB
    Huh, well I'll be. I honestly can't remember any of that, but it seems like there were other mentions of it back then, now that I dig a bit more. That being said, were any of them statements of release date? If not, I personally wouldn't really hold it against them, there's just too many possibilities as to why the release took so long, including reasons that would have zero impact on the quality of the optic or the engineering (e.g., business decisions to shelve it). Beyond that, it still doesn't change the fact that it was L-3 back then, which I think remains the biggest issue.

Lucas Botkin got one (Broken)
    HRF Concepts messed with the OGL (Lots of issues). One of the few that went public about it, IIRC.

I don't have an exhaustive list.

As to where they got them...I don't care. They were broken during use, and they left the factory not as prototypes, so who cares if they were retail purchased, snuck out the back door, or what.
    I was not aware that they had been able to get their hands on production units (the unit my friend's friend was T&Eing was definitely not a production unit). That being said, I would still say that provenance definitely matters; if it wasn't an official T&E, then if they were fall-out units to begin with, that might have been how they were able to acquire the unit(s). There's also the question of, if you managed to get one through backchannels, would you really want to skyline yourself by proclaiming that yours works just fine? I get that you didn't follow to closely, I'm just saying that given the little info I've heard, I wouldn't really count the OGL as a failure just yet (outside of the ridiculous jump in price).

It's not like this new optic is something that EOTech has announced and we're waiting for with bated breath. It's a patent and a couple of pictures gleaned, we don't even know if it'll ever actually be released. I'm certainly not hyped about it, but I personally don't really see any reason to be so down on it right from the get go either.

Um...

How do you know those units that Lucas and HRF received weren't prototypes?

The OGL is NOT currently available for LE sale.

Also, why are we mad that Lucas received a broken copy? Why are we mad that a guy that makes plastic widgets got a broken one?

I get it that you don't like Eotech but your posts are more centered around skewering the company than any kind of objective reasoning behind why Eotech products suck. Minus of course your first hand experience with a delaminating Eotech. I want to be sympathetic but if you shoot enough or buy enough crap in this industry, everything will break or fail you at some point.

I truly believe that MFAL's are over priced but unfortunately, the FDA's BS regulation has created a false monopoly. There is no way around it unless the FDA suddenly decides to stop regulating class 3B lasers. I don't see that happening. The more competition we have, the better off this market will be when it comes to price point. As much as I hate to see another three thousand dollar laser, at least it's not 3600-4000. Retail should be around 2500 street I would hope. It's theoretically a grand less than a MAWL.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Um...

How do you know those units that Lucas and HRF received weren't prototypes?

The OGL is NOT currently available for LE sale.

Also, why are we mad that Lucas received a broken copy? Why are we mad that a guy that makes plastic widgets got a broken one?

I get it that you don't like Eotech but your posts are more centered around skewering the company than any kind of objective reasoning behind why Eotech products suck. Minus of course your first hand experience with a delaminating Eotech. I want to be sympathetic but if you shoot enough or buy enough crap in this industry, everything will break or fail you at some point.

I truly believe that MFAL's are over priced but unfortunately, the FDA's BS regulation has created a false monopoly. There is no way around it unless the FDA suddenly decides to stop regulating class 3B lasers. I don't see that happening. The more competition we have, the better off this market will be when it comes to price point. As much as I hate to see another three thousand dollar laser, at least it's not 3600-4000. Retail should be around 2500 street I would hope. It's theoretically a grand less than a MAWL.
    The only things eotech has released on time and within budget are scopes made by LOW with their name on them. Is this incorrect?

The only things eotech has released on time and within budget are scopes made by LOW with their name on them. Is this incorrect?
    I haven't the foggiest brother.

I also don't care.

I don't get wrapped around the axle about missed release dates or promised prices. I have nothing invested in things that I can't purchase.

So. This should be a good option.

Eotech is the only 1x that has a reticle my eyes will not butcher, besides a prism. Up until now I could not quite justify buying one though. So I’m hoping this checks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List