3 8.33%
  • Chrome

10 27.78%
  • Something Else

16 44.44%
  • Let it rust

7 19.44%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excellent P7M13 with some rust (evidence locker gun)...Refinish opinions

Something to be mindful of, is the disassembly and reassembly process. Robar was very familiar with the P7 and knew how to get it apart and back together correctly. I would want to make sure whoever I used was not going to screw that up.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a factory nickel P7M8 too. While having collector value, it doesn't seem any more useful than one with NP3. The Robar P7 lives in a nice neighborhood.

Name:  IMG_4575.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  98.3 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I can't believe we are on page two of this thread without a pic of the P7 in question.

I mean throw me a bone already!

I'd go NP3.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  IMG_6915.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  95.6 KB
    Although the finish is bad, anyone who knows P7s can see from the grip cocker and other areas that the gun was pretty much new before it got taken into evidence. The guy I got it from said it was a doctor who got into some trouble way back in the late 90s.

I like the idea of the improved NP3 but I want to make sure these folks know how to work on P7s before I ship it off.

I voted to let it rust but I really meant to was to recommend you carefully wipe your P7 down with an oily cloth and let the HK character of the original HK finish shine thru. Few things in this world are more beautiful or sought after than a worn "plum" finish on an older HK.

Just get yourself a nice high quality leather holster befitting the quality of that fine pistol and carry it proudly. It is one of the finest pistols ever made.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

I know you are going to think I'm nuts, Greg. If it were mine I would send it to James Williamson and let him go through it with a deep clean and an oil soak only. The rough finish wouldn't bother me and adds character to the story. Kudos on the find.

Lightly rubbing some 0000 steel wool and oil may get a lot of that rust off without damaging the original finish.

I doubt you will ever get the look of the original HK finish from a re blue. But if the steel wool did not work, Robar would be the way I would go.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner and oil for initial scrub.

Bronze wool pad and/or a bronze brush and oil for detail work.

Use plenty of oil.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

User Tag List