3 8.33%
  • Chrome

10 27.78%
  • Something Else

16 44.44%
  • Let it rust

7 19.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent P7M13 with some rust (evidence locker gun)...Refinish opinions

Excellent P7M13 with some rust (evidence locker gun)...Refinish opinions

Hey guys

I have a P7m13 I got for a sane price a few years back because it has some surface corrosion resulting from it siting in a police evidence locker for many years. Hopefully the weird rust isn't from blood, lol. But naw, I think cops played with it for years and nobody ever oiled it. Anyway, what do y'all think I should do....

1. Try and get it reblued? This is ok but the old early 90s HKs have a lot of neat silvering around the proof marks that will be lost. I don't know anyone who can perfectly reproduce the factory look. I would do this if I could.

2. Hard Chrome. Full Hans Gruber. I had a Nickel M8 back in the 90s but I never liked that finish because it peeled a lot.

3. Some other finish? Suggestions..

4. Let it rust

Any and all suggestions welcome. However, remember that this gun is kind of weird so this isn't something I can just send to any Johnny Paintbooth gun refinisher.

Site Supporter
    The new NP3 from Wright Armory. NT7.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Either Wright NT7 or Ionbond/Decobond DLC.

That gun is worth the cost of those finishes. I have the "old" NP3 on a revolver and it is outstanding, while my duty gun has Ionbond DLC which is also outstanding.

Congrats on the M13! That's a superb P7 variant, I only ever had a PSP.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I also vote NP3 or equivalent. The satin grey look would work well with a P7.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Either Wright NT7 or Ionbond/Decobond DLC.

That gun is worth the cost of those finishes. I have the "old" NP3 on a revolver and it is outstanding, while my duty gun has Ionbond DLC which is also outstanding.

Congrats on the M13! That's a superb P7 variant, I only ever had a PSP.
    I will add my vote to the above.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Hard chrome.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Nitride?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If it is just surface corrosion and there is no pitting, a coating like IonBond/DLC or NT7 would be suitable. Hard chrome would be suitable, but the number of applicators keeps shrinking. Chris Peters has passed, and he was the only hard chrome applicator i would trust with a P7. If the rust has resulted in pitting, those finishes can be used, but the pits need to be removed.

Since the P7 series run very warm due to the gas-delayed blowback and any lube around the gas piston gets turned into carbon deposits, I would opt for NT7. I had a pair of NP3-coated P7M8s that I carried in the middle and late 1990s and the finish made cleaning a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys

I have a P7m13 I got for a sane price a few years back because it has some surface corrosion resulting from it siting in a police evidence locker for many years. Hopefully the weird rust isn't from blood, lol. But naw, I think cops played with it for years and nobody ever oiled it. Anyway, what do y'all think I should do....

1. Try and get it reblued? This is ok but the old early 90s HKs have a lot of neat silvering around the proof marks that will be lost. I don't know anyone who can perfectly reproduce the factory look. I would do this if I could.

2. Hard Chrome. Full Hans Gruber. I had a Nickel M8 back in the 90s but I never liked that finish because it peeled a lot.

3. Some other finish? Suggestions..

4. Let it rust

Any and all suggestions welcome. However, remember that this gun is kind of weird so this isn't something I can just send to any Johnny Paintbooth gun refinisher.

Definitely hard chrome.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Robar put NP3 on my wife's P7M8. Came out great.

Name:  IMG_4572.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  77.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List