Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to make Glock more grippy?

Many good options.

I've been using MOB Grip, found at your local skate shop. IIRC a board length was around $10. If found to be to aggressive, it can be scuffed down.

Name:  20230810_093037.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  54.8 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Caleb Giddings uses goon tape.

https://goontape.com

Figures they are sold out but its interesting to see an "upgraded" version of hockey tape out there. Didn't know this stuff even existed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    This self-vulcanizing silicone tape works amazingly well. Like no other grip sleeve or handgun-specific wrap I've tried comes even close.
    It holds more rigid than any grip sleeve I've tried and haven't seen any movement. The main issue I see is the potential downside for a carry gun with possibly being too grippy such that it impedes draw, grabs clothing, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Not great when wet. Have used the exact same stuff on motorcycle grips and it’s fine… until it rains.

Very good in dryer conditions and excellent for emergency leak repairs and similar applications, and of course YMMV on a pistol if your hands are dry. It’s especially important to keep oils off it if you want it to work well, they don’t break it down but they do make it slicker than ice. On a bike, you always get road oil mist when it rains, exacerbating the problem. On a pistol, in my experience blood makes it act like a bar of soap - you really need mechanical traction where blood is involved.
    This stuff looks great...I'd probably a bit concerned with the slippery when wet comments as my hands sweat a bit and its partially why I'm looking for more grip. Relatively cheap to try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    A bit unconventional, and I haven't tried it (I bought a can but never actually put it on) but Marcus Wynne (RIP) recommended truck bed liner.

https://marcuswynne.wordpress.com/20...nter-tactical/

Wish I remembered this when I had my G43x. Might've made shooting it easier.
    I know PF members would come up with a tone of different options that I didn't think of but this is the biggest surprise. It's interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Based on shooting Glocks since 1991 and stippling/texturing grip panels since 06 ish, I would offer the following:

1. Rubber slip ons move over time. This can be minimized with the application of spray glue. This movement can happen within days or weeks.

2. Abrasive tapes like 3m anti slip stair tape smooth/wear out over time. Re application is part of the deal. Re application can be required after a few months to several months.

3. Stippling can wear down and require a touch up. This often happens over the course of a few years. I am a DIY stippler for my guns and I have done a number of them for friends and colleagues as well. As I do not have an FFL, I do no interstate work so know I am not trolling for business.

4. As the result of traveling the road of 1-3, I went to a tree bark stipple texture as it wears better and is more grippy than the multi pore orange peel style.

5. Ben at Boresight far exceeds the intersection of quality/function/value/appearances re his stippling work. As an aside, he has been most gracious to me re safety and technique issues, particularly when I was just starting out in 20008ish.

6. Anything short of stippling is simply a consumable and needs to be treated/maintained as such. Accept that reality and drive on.

Attachment 108219
    The tree bark pattern looks like a really interesting goldilocks pattern. Not the needly like texture of the classic stipple dots you see (or RTF2 texture) but more texture than a gen 5. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is a Langdon stipple job with undercut.
    I didn't realize Langdon's stipple was laser cut. It looks really clean. Lots of patterns too.

Site Supporter
    CB

That OD Green frame was the first gun I ever stippled. It was "orange peeled" with a OP touch up. It was then the first gun I ever tree barked.

As time has gone on, I am better at prepping the frame (smoothing things out) such that any pattern looks/wears a bit better. I do all stippling by hand, one pore or bark "drag" at a time. I do most of my frame prepping with a dremel.

I am sure that Ben and others can generate similar or better purchase and make it more attractive as well.

Frankly, if you EDC anything on your waistline (and elsewhere), it will wear on clothing over time. The wear and comfort of such things can be mitigated by undershirts, fabric choices/fabric weights and even lining.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Figures they are sold out but its interesting to see an "upgraded" version of hockey tape out there. Didn't know this stuff even existed. Thanks!
    Not 100%, but the internet rumor is that goon-tape is just rebranded howie’s hockey tape.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Not 100%, but the internet rumor is that goon-tape is just rebranded howie’s hockey tape.
    That is essentially correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I laugh and shake my head about how silly and gimmicky some of these items or products can be. So f’n dumb.

Also I think it funny how people use the tape and it’s not even providing traction on the area of the frame that needs it. It’s like they just put it on for looks.

User Tag List