Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Best way to make Glock more grippy?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    If the Gen 4/5 texture went 360 around the backstrap and higher on the sides, I'd probably actually be really happy with it as a carry compromise.
    It irritates me to no end, that the Glock grips have the smooth areas between the texturing on the sides and the backstrap.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    It irritates me to no end, that the Glock grips have the smooth areas between the texturing on the sides and the backstrap.
    It's the most crucial part of the gun for what I'd consider the most current grip technique, neutral allowing the gun to return vs the whole wrist cammed as high as possible grip of the 2010s.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    It's the most crucial part of the gun for what I'd consider the most current grip technique, neutral allowing the gun to return vs the whole wrist cammed as high as possible grip of the 2010s.
    Yeah, I didn't think about it much, until Mike Seeklander, at a class, recommended I change my grip.

To mitigate the problem I stippled the smooth spot on the beavertail backstrap on my guns. Its not a permanent mod to the guns, which is only a problem for the work gun, but I like to keep the training guns the same as the carry gun.

I don't like skateboard tape. Too aggressive against my skin while carried, and my sweat would kill it in short order.

DID use it on 1911 front straps years ago, but that's different (and did need to be replaced periodically). I'm in Glock world now.

I stiple my own. The 17 year old G23 frame, which now lives on as a G19 build I carry every day, got the treatment.

Slightly reduced hump with a candle, then sanded front and back straps down (this also largely reduced the finger grooves, win/win), and stipled with soldering iron. Gave it some slight sanding in areas where it was a bit much, and done.

Grip is VASTLY improved. Love the way it locks into my hand now.

I'm with JCN in that front and back straps are most important.

Have done this with the front strap of a 33 year old gen2 G17 also, huge improvement. May do the back of it at some point.

This is so simple I'm sure most of your already thought of it -

I bought a set of Talons for my G17, installed them and then scanned the backing papers and saved as a file.

I then used some clear sticky shelf paper that I had laying around and sandwiched the backing papers between them and cut it out with an exacto knife. Makes a pretty permanent pattern and I still have the PDF copy saved on my computer.

After going to all that work, how often have I used the pattern? Once and even then just for side panels.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

@Dan Lehr I tried some Talon grips and promptly destroyed them. Kept the pattern, just as you did. Talon replaced the originals with the rubber textured ones and I managed to wear those out as well. I go back and forth on use of the Mob Grip. Cheap, easy, and reusable to a point.
    Taking a break from social media.

I mostly have Gen3 Glocks, but I also have a G45 (Gen5) and a couple of G48's. My preference for the Gen3 is Boresight Solutions. I've tried several options, my favorite combo is the 1.5 reduction, razorback, and medium texture. I'll admit that my dislike for the coarse texture is both appearance and the feel. Appearance is secondary. The medium texture feels better to me as well as being more aesthetically pleasing. My dilemma comes with the Gen5 and G48. Glock has improved. I would prefer a Boresight texture on the G45, but I can't justify it for feel. It would be for pleasure. So I haven't done anything. My G48's are similar, but I've put Talon rubber "grips" on them. They are cheap, durable, and they feel good. Just typing this reply makes me think I may want to try them on my G45. But it makes me feel like I'm cheating. Same for slide work. I love Maple Leaf firearms. On Gen3, their work has been great for texture, looks and optics. But when it comes to the Gen5 guns that already come with forward serrations, I can't say I NEED the Maple Leaf treatment for any reason other than I like the look of it. I have to keep reminding myself that better is the enemy of good enough.

https://www.brookstactical.com/

The Brooks A Grip is soft for AIWB and excellent when wet. Really improved handling on both Kahrs and Glocks.

Will need to be periodically refreshed, but mine last two years +/-

I've been very happy with the Talon Grips Pro texture on my Glock 42 and Gen 4/5 Glocks, all used for concealed carry. The only thing I've used previously is repurposed skateboard stuff. I very much prefer the Pro texture, as well as how the gun-specific cut wraps cleanly around the whole grip.

The Glock 42 has very shallow slide serrations, so mine is also wearing the slide serration Talon Grip. Huge help in manipulating the gun.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

While the original (and still offered) Hogue HandAll rubber grip sleeves would loosen over time, the newer Hogue HandAll Beavertail rubber grip sleeves are a massive improvement. Much more tightly molded, and molded for specific guns, I've found them ergonomically and operationally to be very effective on my Gen 3 G17, G19 and G21.

Previously, I'd used the mountain bike innertube segment and the Warren Grip Assist (but cut down the protruding fin of the Grip Assist by 50%); they were both credible grip improvements, but I've found the Hogue Handall Beavertail to be by far the best, at least for me.

Warren Grip Assist (cut down):

Mountain bike inner tube segment, cut to size:

On my Gen4 G22, I've left well enough alone (at least so far...), stickling with the Glock Medium beavertail backstrap, and when my Gen5 G23 arrives, I plan on also starting with the Medium Glock backstrap and a LTT Grip Anchor.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List