Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 9th Circuit overturns Hawaii butterfly knife ban

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I figured the idea was you might need to cut a line while holding onto something else/a boat, etc. Quick access sheaths are newer than the law, at least in NY state.

I told my father once he was disabled and in a wheelchair that he could be carrying one legally. He was happy with the assisted openers I got him from Kershaw and the Emerson as a heavy duty backup.
    I was just teasing.

Most of the "concessions" I've ever seen regarding knife laws come for disability...one arm, mobility, etc. (And then various accommodations for LE, first responders, etc.)

"The law is an ass".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Good to know. It never used to be worded that way. In about 2013 I arrested a dude and towed his car for evidence, writing a warrant on the car. In the car we found a switch blade (a really nice bench made OTF) and I wrote the charge in my supplemental. The DA threw it out and said, "he wasn't carrying it, so its not illegal." They also didn't have the suppressor part in there at that point, so I guess there was a change to the law or at least the way the law was/is worded.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to possess an OTF.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Good to know. It never used to be worded that way. In about 2013 I arrested a dude and towed his car for evidence, writing a warrant on the car. In the car we found a switch blade (a really nice bench made OTF) and I wrote the charge in my supplemental. The DA threw it out and said, "he wasn't carrying it, so its not illegal." They also didn't have the suppressor part in there at that point, so I guess there was a change to the law or at least the way the law was/is worded.
    That’s very interesting. My understanding is that possession of autos has always been illegal—although, one wouldn’t know it considering that OR and ID are on two sides and provide plenty of opportunities to find a decent auto.

Case law clearly has an effect too: when I was in HS and college, butterfly knives were everywhere—all the pawn shops had them for sale. Evidently, those are illegal now. Most recently, some gangsta chick with a paring knife in her pocket provided case law that makes concealed carry of any fixed blade illegal, eg. Clinch pick. Thanks, gangsta chick. Thanks a lot.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

My state's law is this (abridged)-
    Subdivision 1.Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):

(snip)

(4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening automatically; or
    (snip)

Yet all the gun shops sell autos, and say that they are OK to own, just not to carry. In addition a lot of the cities have their own knife laws with different blade lengths, etc. A lot of the online sellers won't ship autos here. I'm kind of a buck 110 fan and wouldn't mind buying one of the autos now that buck is actually making them, but just decided it isn't worth the trouble. If I was interested in having a knife for self defense I'd get a clinch pick or something, and so far I haven't bothered.

My guess is if a police officer around here found me with an auto they would just confiscate it, and if you actually assaulted someone you'd just get charged with that and no one would bother with the knife.

Site Supporter
    Oh, hell yes. Next to ‘chucks,’ the butterfly was my adolescent heartthrob. That, and Heather Thomas from “the fall guy,” of course.

9th circuit: this could mean that my WA state safe queens can leave their safe space now. Thanks for posting!
    *”Back then, the number of Heather Thomas photos taped inside boys’ high-school lockers might have exceeded even the quantity of Ray-Bans and Rubik’s Cubes being sold in the United States.”

*Actual quote on the topic of said bikini poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Attachment 108168

I had this poster along with the Farrah poster in my room. Beautiful women for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    When I was about 8 years old, my dad found a butterfly knife at a Flea Market and bought it and gave it to me. I credit that knife, and butterfly knives in general, with setting off my love of bladed weapons. He gave it to me, because I absolutely loved the Ninja Turtles and he thought I would appreciate a knife that said, "Golden Dragon" on the side. I still have it, it's in my valet case at home, in its sheath. I take it out about once a year and play with it for fun. Today is clearly that day of the year.

____

About that knife, knives in general, and butterfly knives overall...

I read Greg Walker's Springblade books as a kid of about 13, they involved knives and I fucking loved knives. In the first book the main character uses a 'balisong knife' to stab a would-be D.C. mugger in the ass (hey it was the '80s). I didn't know what a 'balisong knife' was, so using our primitive dialup connection went online and looked it up.

I figured out that butterfly knives and balisongs were the same thing and that they were from the Philippines. Then I found Balisong.com and different ways of flipping the things open, that was cool as hell. So, I started trying to figure all that out and found a place called BladeForums.

At BladeForums I started chatting with some guy called Michael Burch, who was still working as a writer then, but was making cool knives, he said, "Hey check out this place...since you like balisongs.". He sent me over to the Usual Suspect Network. Through USN, I met Ram Maramba, Larry Davidson, Allen Elishiweitz, Charles Marlowe, a whole host of folks. From there, I bought my first custom knife, then my second, to...I don't even know how many these days.

On USN I kept seeing these other cool 'Filipino' knives called 'pikals' - some dude with a blurry face and the screen name, 'Southnarc' had created some knife called a 'Clinch Pick'. I didn't quite get it, but it seemed cool, the edge was backwards, but fuck it, I liked balisongs and those you can use with the edge inverted. I tried it, it made some sense, so I eventually started to pick up what that blurry faced guy as part of his company, "Shivworks" was putting down.

That led me to a little van down by the river called Total Protection Interactive. Over there I ran into some guy called TLG and that's how I made my way over to his forum, Pistol-Forum.

Along the way, I started focusing on learning, training, and thinking deeply about martial aspects of life. And also about non-martial aspects, like not dressing like a slob, putting in a lot of professionalism, etc. It was all quite useful for a boy who came from a blue collar background but was trying to make his way in a white collar world. I didn't really know what the fuck I was doing (I don't know now, either), but I learned an absolute metric fuck ton of stuff along the way and made some really, really, good friends in the process.

And all of that because of a butterfly knife.

___

I guess you can say this journey I have been on for pretty much my entire adult life is all due to, the butterfly knife effect.

___
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I recognized her

I did the same thing. I didn't recognize the face. I do remember the bionic FF though.

https://youtu.be/3yX-kGai89U
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I watched a lot Fall Guy, probably mostly for Heather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I googled it. Yeah I didn’t have that one. Sad puppy.
    All hell yes!

Did the Fall Guy really end in '85?

Shit, I am old...

pat

User Tag List