Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9th Circuit overturns Hawaii butterfly knife ban

9th Circuit overturns Hawaii butterfly knife ban

@RevolverRob, that may be your best post ever.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Attachment 108168

I had this poster along with the Farrah poster in my room. Beautiful women for sure.
    I start off reading about a 9th Circuit Court case and wind up googling Heather Thomas to see if I recognized her.
    I did.

I love P-F thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m sure I’ve told the story about using an Emerson CQC-7 to deselect myself in DT Spokanistan years ago.
    If you have, I missed it. I carry a cheaper version (Kershaw cqc-6k) everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    When I was about 8 years old, my dad found a butterfly knife at a Flea Market and bought it and gave it to me. I credit that knife, and butterfly knives in general, with setting off my love of bladed weapons. He gave it to me, because I absolutely loved the Ninja Turtles and he thought I would appreciate a knife that said, "Golden Dragon" on the side. I still have it, it's in my valet case at home, in its sheath. I take it out about once a year and play with it for fun. Today is clearly that day of the year.

____

About that knife, knives in general, and butterfly knives overall...

I read Greg Walker's Springblade books as a kid of about 13, they involved knives and I fucking loved knives. In the first book the main character uses a 'balisong knife' to stab a would-be D.C. mugger in the ass (hey it was the '80s). I didn't know what a 'balisong knife' was, so using our primitive dialup connection went online and looked it up.

I figured out that butterfly knives and balisongs were the same thing and that they were from the Philippines. Then I found Balisong.com and different ways of flipping the things open, that was cool as hell. So, I started trying to figure all that out and found a place called BladeForums.

At BladeForums I started chatting with some guy called Michael Burch, who was still working as a writer then, but was making cool knives, he said, "Hey check out this place...since you like balisongs.". He sent me over to the Usual Suspect Network. Through USN, I met Ram Maramba, Larry Davidson, Allen Elishiweitz, Charles Marlowe, a whole host of folks. From there, I bought my first custom knife, then my second, to...I don't even know how many these days.

On USN I kept seeing these other cool 'Filipino' knives called 'pikals' - some dude with a blurry face and the screen name, 'Southnarc' had created some knife called a 'Clinch Pick'. I didn't quite get it, but it seemed cool, the edge was backwards, but fuck it, I liked balisongs and those you can use with the edge inverted. I tried it, it made some sense, so I eventually started to pick up what that blurry faced guy as part of his company, "Shivworks" was putting down.

That led me to a little van down by the river called Total Protection Interactive. Over there I ran into some guy called TLG and that's how I made my way over to his forum, Pistol-Forum.

Along the way, I started focusing on learning, training, and thinking deeply about martial aspects of life. And also about non-martial aspects, like not dressing like a slob, putting in a lot of professionalism, etc. It was all quite useful for a boy who came from a blue collar background but was trying to make his way in a white collar world. I didn't really know what the fuck I was doing (I don't know now, either), but I learned an absolute metric fuck ton of stuff along the way and made some really, really, good friends in the process.

And all of that because of a butterfly knife.

___

I guess you can say this journey I have been on for pretty much my entire adult life is all due to, the butterfly knife effect.

___
    Great post, Rob. My own road here bounced through other places too, for different reasons, and this place lead me to TPI not the other way. Odd how so many different paths develop similar perspectives and desires to be a student of the skillset.

It would be kewl to be able to carry an OTF or fixed blade in Wa.

Although many stores around here sell them (autos) to civilians despite being clearly illegal in the RCW.

The butterfly knife in question. I realized it's not Golden Dragon, but Golden Forge. Still, a nice made in Japan 1980s-era butterfly knife.

Name:  IMG_1525.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  54.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Looks like I bought mine just in time.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=boker

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I never understood the appeal of butterfly knives
    They have no real purpose in a world of one-handed openers, assisted openers, and legal automatics. But they're still fun.

Butterfly knives are objectively inferior to, well, just about anything in terms of edged self-defense. But I’m still fidget spinning one today, because: 9th circuit; “streets of fire;” trained MBC with Janich.
    I keep mine at my desk and "fidget spin" it while in boring meetings.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Come on… you know you want to exercise your right to carry a John Wick approved Hawk Deadlock in any state in the Union.
    Fuck yeah, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Attachment 108168

I had this poster along with the Farrah poster in my room. Beautiful women for sure.
    That’s the pic I had in my locker, freshman year at HS.

___

I guess you can say this journey I have been on for pretty much my entire adult life is all due to, the butterfly knife effect.

___
    Awesome. Just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    If you have, I missed it. I carry a cheaper version (Kershaw cqc-6k) everyday...
    I’ll be back later.

The butterfly knife in question. I realized it's not Golden Dragon, but Golden Forge. Still, a nice made in Japan 1980s-era butterfly knife.
    That’s some 80s-appropriate ghetto shit, right there.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

They have no real purpose in a world of one-handed openers, assisted openers, and legal automatics. But they're still fun.
    Right? But fun is the name of the game. The 9th circuit has heretofore not been all that long on our fun.

Champagne and Benchmades all around!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I start off reading about a 9th Circuit Court case and wind up googling Heather Thomas to see if I recognized her.
    I did.

I love P-F thread drift.
    I recognized her

I did the same thing. I didn't recognize the face. I do remember the bionic FF though.

https://youtu.be/3yX-kGai89U
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-08-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Oh, hell yes. Next to ‘chucks,’ the butterfly was my adolescent heartthrob. That, and Heather Thomas from “the fall guy,” of course.

9th circuit: this could mean that my WA state safe queens can leave their safe space now. Thanks for posting!
    I watched a lot Fall Guy, probably mostly for Heather.

As a jr high teen back in the 80's, my buddies and I would regularly ride our bikes to the local surplus store to all sorts of cool, cheap stuff- old uniforms, web gear, machetes, LAWs rocket tubes...

Anyway, one day I snagged a really cool butterfly knife with a tanto style blade- the parents got one look at it and made me take it right back.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List