Thread: Improving Deadly Force Training

Site Supporter

Improving Deadly Force Training

I just finished reading an important book on a better training approach for teaching deadly force issues. The book is No Safe Alternative, Improving how we teach cops to kill. The author is T.C. Fuller.

Fuller has a doctorate in education and an excellent command of the English language. He was an Army infantry officer with extensive combat experience in Iraq and Afghanistan, was a local police officer, and then did over 20 years as a Special Agent of the FBI. While with the FBI he served for a time as a firearms instructor as well as investigating a wide range of crimes. He is also an enthusiastic competition shooter, who has competed well at the national level in IDPA for many years.

His combination of experience, education and research has resulted in a very well thought out critique of the current state of deadly force training and how to best improve the situation. Fuller advocates a more inclusive curriculum, teaching not just marksmanship and gun handling, but weaving together the legal, moral, and ethical considerations involved in taking another’s life. He also wants to teach the new gun carrier about what he can expect if deadly force is used, to include during and after the event.

The book is only $17.99 in paperback from Amazon. It is 279 pages long and a fairly quick read. If you are in the business of providing deadly force training you really ought to read this book. Highly recommended.

Site Supporter
    Ordered.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Ordered.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Ditto
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Ordered it last night.

Site Supporter
    Just bought the kindle version for 8.99, net 6 and change after a few “points.” Less than a couple tacos and a soda. I was losing money not to buy that book!!!

Thank you for the recommendation.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

It's now in the pile of "to read" titles.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Does anything in that book prove more useful then watching the Wild Bunch?

User Tag List