Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HK USP And Buffalo Bore .45 Super For Montana Hiking

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I hope your 4506 can handle .45 Super better than my 1006 handled 10mm. Despite its size and weight, it failed in multiple ways with anything above 40 S&W power loads. Just thinking about that gun pisses me off.
    Interesting. I had a 1076 for a minute. It would get occasional failures to feed. Maybe it was ammo. Maybe it was me. But... just didn't live up to what I experienced with the 645. And now the 4506-1.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    In a metal-frame 1990s/2000s gun .45 ACP gun, my choice for these kind of loads would be a Ruger P90.

Best, Jon
    Interesting. I wouldn't have considered the P90 for .45 Super, given the alloy frame. But... it is a tank, nonetheless.

Those S&W 10XX WITH magazines are top of the collector food chain these days, if I were you guys I would think about cashing out if you still have them....one of the Gunbroker consignment sellers with a really big following could move them at a premium by getting people fighting over them.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

https://www.lostriverammocompany.com...-Point-100-RND

That's what I'd carry if I needed factory ammo for bear country.

I load a 255gr swc to 950fps that I use. I worked up to .45 super in my loaded but throttled down a little.
    Name:  20200809_151620.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  58.8 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Ruger rugged?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Interesting. I wouldn't have considered the P90 for .45 Super, given the alloy frame. But... it is a tank, nonetheless.
    A short while back I had called Ruger and asked if the P345 could handle 45 super. They said that it was not designed to handle that. While it is an updated version to the P90, there may be differences.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    A short while back I had called Ruger and asked if the P345 could handle 45 super. They said that it was not designed to handle that. While it is an updated version to the P90, there may be differences.
    Thanks for the insight. I feel like the two "normal" pistols you hear about in reference to handling .45 Super are the USP and the 4506-1. The Smith, I guess, makes sense because it's all steel and just... a tank. And so is the USP, of course--but in a more modern way (predicated on flexibility and the advanced recoil spring setup).

I was going to ask you about .45 Super in a PX4 .45... but I saw your posts on the subject: 23,000 max PSI for the PX4--.45 Super goes above 28,000, in some cases. So, I guess not.

I have no burning desire/need to shoot .45 Super. But, it's just something that has a occurred to me in the past, since I have a 4506-1.

Super

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I feel like the two "normal" pistols you hear about in reference to handling .45 Super are the USP and the 4506-1. The Smith, I guess, makes sense because it's all steel and just... a tank. And so is the USP, of course--but in a more modern way (predicated on flexibility and the advanced recoil spring setup).

I was going to ask you about .45 Super in a PX4 .45... but I saw your posts on the subject: 23,000 max PSI for the PX4--.45 Super goes above 28,000, in some cases. So, I guess not.

I have no burning desire/need to shoot .45 Super. But, it's just something that has a occurred to me in the past, since I have a 4506-1.
    I have shot 45 Super in a friend's HK USP. It does have more juice than the +P rounds, but not a night and day difference to me. (I have shot so many 44 Magnums over the years, including my own recipe hot loads, so I'm not that recoil sensitive.)

I picked up a new HK45 because I like the ergonomics better than the USP. More frequently people are using the USP for the majority of their 45 Super shooting, because of the enhanced recoil system, as @GJM mentioned.

I will weigh in …

Spent a good bit of time ADV riding , hiking, biking , and camping in and around Glacier, Tetons, Northern Idaho, and along the CDT. I carried a HK45C after reading over GJM”s advice and reports.

I used a Hill People Gear chest rig and a (now discontinued) Mastermind Tactical AIWB Jude’s holster. I used the hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo. I have not shot anywhere near the number of 45 supers as other here… but have had good performance and function in the HK45C. I also have had great luck with +p heavy 45 cap reloads in the same gun.

I sold that gun / kit to use the $ towards a 2011 and wish I had not. I will most likely get another one soon … but really will miss that holster.

I found the HK45C to be a perfect “Goldilocks” pistol for me… and a great all-a -rounder. There has been so much talk re: 9mm penetrator ammo and more + well placed + proficient hits that I am seriously considering just hanging with my PX4 or G19 … but still cannot totally shake the allure of a flat meplat / heavy for caliber / hard cast round going 1000+ ft per sec. Just my .02

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK how about .45 Super in a Smith 625-3 ? Will a 625 handle the extra pressures ? Yeah I know it’s on a N frame but I was thinking about the thinner cylinder walls .

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    OK how about .45 Super in a Smith 625-3 ? Will a 625 handle the extra pressures ? Yeah I know it’s on a N frame but I was thinking about the thinner cylinder walls .
    IIRC, Clark's used to offer .460 Rowland conversions on 625s. I just checked their website and didn't find that offered anymore. My guess is that it'd probably be okay on a limited basis.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List