Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK USP And Buffalo Bore .45 Super For Montana Hiking

HK USP And Buffalo Bore .45 Super For Montana Hiking

Greetings. Just wondering what you members with bear experience think about the idea of using a HK USP full size loaded with BB .45 Super 255 grain as a Montana hiking gun ?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    Greetings. Just wondering what you members with bear experience think about the idea of using a HK USP full size loaded with BB .45 Super 255 grain as a Montana hiking gun ?
    Thanks in advance.
    I am aware of feeding problems with the Buffalo Bore .45 Super hard cast loads in the USP. I would use the Underwood Lehigh Super penetrator load or the G9 .45 field load. Reliability before absolute penetration!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks GJM for the replies. I also have a new .44 Anaconda 4.25” but that feels like you’re carrying a brick in the chest pouch .

Bit of a drift, but what are the currently available guns capable of shooting .45 Super?

And how does it compare to standard .45 recoil wise?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am aware of feeding problems with the Buffalo Bore .45 Super hard cast loads in the USP. I would use the Underwood Lehigh Super penetrator load or the G9 .45 field load. Reliability before absolute penetration!
    That is interesting. I didn't know that. Are there extra power magazine springs available for the USP? (That's how I solved the problem in the Glock 20.)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I’ve put a few hundred Buffalo Bore - 45 Super, 230gn, FMJ FN through my USP w/ out issue. Could be an option depending on availability.

I actually prefer carrying my Ruger SRH Alaskan .44 Mag w/ Buffalo Bore 305gn. It has more of a balanced ride in the holster. Kenai Gun Fighter Chest holster for both guns. The USP has more bounce/tilt due to the weight of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That is interesting. I didn't know that. Are there extra power magazine springs available for the USP? (That's how I solved the problem in the Glock 20.)
    Believe it is bullet profile -- HK magazines are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    I’ve put a few hundred Buffalo Bore - 45 Super, 230gn, FMJ FN through my USP w/ out issue. Could be an option depending on availability.

I actually prefer carrying my Ruger SRH Alaskan .44 Mag w/ Buffalo Bore 305gn. It has more of a balanced ride in the holster. Kenai Gun Fighter Chest holster for both guns. The USP has more bounce/tilt due to the weight of the magazine.
    I used to run that BB FMJ load in the USP, but I didn't get a warm and fuzzy on the bullet construction.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Bit of a drift, but what are the currently available guns capable of shooting .45 Super?

And how does it compare to standard .45 recoil wise?
    I'm wondering that too, though I'd have exactly zero use for it. If it'd work, I get a box to run through my M&P 1.0 and M22-4 just to say I did it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Wolff makes a +10% spring for the USP 45 full-size 12 round mags.

User Tag List