Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modlite PL350 switch upgrade program live

The new switch is all plastic except for the switch itself, ie the paddles aren't replaceable as mentioned earlier. Seems to work fine. One thing that is strange is I dont see an o-ring anywhere on this one, the old version had one. Not ideal but maybe I am missing something?

Received mine back from Modlite. Switch seems a little more robust in its action. It has a very positive "snik" when its turned on. Time will tell on durability. It was worth it to me to get Gen 2 switch.

I was hoping the center off position would be a bit more positive like it is on the X300.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I think I sent mine out on Monday, so it might be a little while before I get it back. The previous post gives me some excitement that it might not be too long at all. The example I sent back had a broken right side lever. Not the plastic ARC portion, but the actual metal piece. I really like the light and I’m hopeful that this fix will provide the durability to give Surefire some serious competition.

I’m in the midst (just finished day one of two) of teaching my last single action only class for my department before I retire, and while not planned, we went into darkness a little bit. We had a PL350 and a couple Surefire Turbos in the class. Both models were impressive.
    My PL-350's right switch arm snapped as well. I also really like the light generally, but mine has broken twice (the other time the plastic crossbar insert snapped and Modlite replaced it with a metal one.

The lack of compatibility with the 7TS holsters (by about 1/16") is also an issue since I am policy-limited to that holster. I have seen some pretty wild holster mods to make it work, though.

The X300 Turbo has been a real surprise.

My Modlite came back last Monday, but the head is in storage so I haven’t been able to use it yet. The switch seems very positive as others have said.

At this point, the SF X300 (and X400) Turbo lights are my default #1 choice, but I’m looking forward to running the Modlite again for some direct comparison. Mine had taken a back seat when the Thrbo came out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post

The X300 Turbo has been a real surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    the SF X300 Turbo lights are my default #1 choice.
    The X300 Turbo is quite a good. I'm hoping it will prompt a Streamlight high candela TLR-1.

I think at this point my ideal light would be a version of the TLR-9 that's shorter in size and built around the 18350 battery. It would need to be dual fuel to work with a 123 in an emergency and would have a more focused beam than the current -9 offering. I can't see how this would be terribly hard to make and keep in that $125 price range.

I think the problem with the TLR-7, 8, 9, and 10 lights is the reflector depth. You get a light that is ok in lumen output but has no throw.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I think the problem with the TLR-7, 8, 9, and 10 lights is the reflector depth. You get a light that is ok in lumen output but has no throw.
    Yes that's something Streamlight could improve.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Have the updated switches still been working well for anyone who has them?

The compact WML that Modlite showed at Shot Show got me interested, but I don't want to get my hopes up if the switch sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Have the updated switches still been working well for anyone who has them?

The compact WML that Modlite showed at Shot Show got me interested, but I don't want to get my hopes up if the switch sucks.
    I have no complaints at all about the replacement switches on my three PL350 units, but I never did have any problems with the original switches either. I never tried to futz with the ARC levers on the originals, after a terrible experience with the same levers on an X300 (which Surefire fixed, free of charge- a most impressive CS experience).

I think it likely that some people overstressed the PL350 switchwork when swapping the levers out, as I did with the SF light before.

User Tag List